PDA

View Full Version : General Qs on update of models in layout, etc...

JeffrySG
10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi all, I have a few general questions regarding updating of models into a scene. I will typically use the sequential save when I'm working on any project. So my file name of my latest model will change as it progresses. I like to set up a temp. scene so I can do ambient occ. renders to see how the model is looking when rendered.

What's the best way to have that scene always use the latest version of the model I'm working on? I'm sure there's an easier way but I'll usually select all the parts of the model in the scene editor and clear them, and then load the latest model, go through and set any subdivision display settings, etc. and then re-render. Is there an easier way?

Also, if I update the same model file and add new layers when I open the scene file the new layers from the model don't show up. Is there a way to add those new layers automatically?

Feel free to point me to any doc. in the manual if I'm missing something really basic!

cheers! :bowdown:
Jeff

faulknermano
10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
well, imo, sequential save (e.g. incrementing the working scene file) is a bad idea. it is better to have an incremental saver that saves a copy of the increments to a subdirectory while the working model remains with the same name. that way you load your working object into your scene and thats it.

Lowly Designer
11-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Hi,

You could always just replace the object using the replace command in the scene file that way LW automatically updates all object layers in that scene file, just in case your object has many layers.

Also you probably wouldn't need to redo all the lighting setups etc and materials would change in accordance with the updated object.

It would also remove the need to select everything and delete, you would just select one part of the model to update and it would replace all of it. The only limitation I can see is if it would add new layers or just take the layers as they existed in the previous object.

Hope this helps.

regards
LD.

JeffrySG
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll look into both of those ideas... :D

If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears as well. :)

cheers!
Jeff

Giacomo99
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
What I do is just delete (or move) the older versions of the object. When Layout opens the scene, it'll prompt you for the object file's location and you just specify the newest one--easy.

The only drawback with this approach is that Layout will prompt you once for every single layer in the object, so if the object has, say, a hundred layers you will be hitting "enter" a lot.

JeffrySG
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
^thanks for that other option as well! :)