PDA

View Full Version : Suffering for my art

uberslayer™
07-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Does everyone else get a hard time for watching and enjoying animation? I was just wondering if this is a standard reponse from friends, family and significant others when confronted with your facination for all things cartoon. Never really bothers me, (if Transformers goes over their heads that's their problem) just curious if everyone else gets this carry on?

Beamtracer
07-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Nah, all decent people enjoy animation. You're hanging around with the wrong crowd!

What's animation anyway? When people watch a movie these days, the point where the real actors stop and the animation begins is not noticed by the audience.

Rei
07-02-2003, 02:15 AM
if i do anything, even if it just a test, i find that people not in the CG industry (like you ppl) will allways think its cool... even if it the most appauling thing (ive been know to ehh!) they think, wow thats cool.

if the people around you dont, get some new mates.

Meaty
07-02-2003, 08:05 AM
My friends are cool about it, aside from that they are fans of anime and video gaming also. If a girl looks at me like I am from mars if i mention video games, that will be the last time i talk to her. They are just too big a part of culture to still be looked at with a social stigmata.

Its cool, I used to be a modeler for a Quake 3 mod (that is still going on and is still sucessful i might add) called Urban Terror. Quite an unfortuante name, huh? Anyways, one of the texture artists is this 'older' woman (40s). She and her husband have their computers next to each other and they just play games and develop mods with each other. too cool! unfortunatly, these social evolutions are considered underground by lots of people.:(

uberslayer™
07-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Right that's it I'm leaving her, lol. I was mostly compelled make this post after being told to grow up, etc. by my other half. Seems watching dragon ball Z isn't supposed to amuse adults. I don't know she at least pretended to be impressed by my cartoon video collection when I met her. To be honest though if I had to choose............................................ ...she would come a close second.:p

ps. As far as my friends go it's more just the usual peer rivalry, you know what I mean. Wouldn't matter what it was you gotta give yer mates a bit of stick:D

Meaty
07-02-2003, 08:11 PM
true on both counts =] to me a relationship has to be based on similarities and personality. if someone can't even respect the legitimacy of something i do as a hobby... pfft. see ya

haha... my friends used to have "Lightwave, It's Everywhere" as their Instant Messanger profiles to give me sh!t... heh, when i got a job in 3D, they stopped teasing =]

colkai
07-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Yup,
As a "mature" grown man, why am I watching animation?
Surely I've "grown out of it"?
Of course, 3D or no, I've always enjoyed cartoons and such, a trait I picked up from me dad, who at 65+ still laughs himself silly at Wile E Cayote <sp?> ..so that fact that I'm a big kid is all his fault so there ! :p
He also got me into SF and reading about space & science, as well. I may have to grow old, but I ab-so-lutely refuse to grow up.

Life has more than enough stresses, a bit fun always helps.
Mind you, the fact that I'm a 42 year-old biker, with no kids, into rock music, has distanced me so much from "society" that by and large, it's expected for me to be weird - I try to live up to that expectation. :D

Mind you, the wife has known me for so long, she thinks I'm normal - poor lass! ;)

TEEJAY
07-03-2003, 04:31 PM
I can defnitely relate.....At age 45, I still watch the Cartoon
Network then the SciFi Channel. I study, I watch, and I always
love the art of Anime'. I spent most of my life wanting to work
in tv, now I do. Mind you the money is not great, but I love what
I do. Occasionally I get to do some 3D for a spot. My friends
who know me well always ask if I did this or that on the
commercials. I love seeing my stuff on tv it's great. But I always
go back and try to out do myself on the next try. I will probably
never work in a big studio, but I am happy, doing what I love,
and knowing that I am not alone in my love of animation makes
me feel more that I an not the techno geek some people
think. Besides all of you people are WAY TOO COOL!!!!!!!!
Peace out

lone
07-04-2003, 03:52 PM
while cartoons/anime/video games are generally more readily accepted as "valid", there are still some pockets of resistance (read: chicks).

uberslayer™
07-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Resistance is futile. :D

jahumaster
09-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Hello Chris,
i am interested in modeling scene for Urban Terror. in Lightwave, please could you advise some help information how to start _?
Thanks.
jan

lwaddict
09-24-2009, 07:36 AM
If this is what you do and who you are...
and she's telling you to grow up.

Run now.

It's only going to get worse.

The choice between cartoons, movies, fx, software and uh...well...a little affection...yeah, it's tempting to lean towards what "Mr. Fun" is telling ya to do...but trust me, there's a million women out there and some are actually into all the things you are. Find them, everything's better after that...even "Mr. Fun" will agree. :thumbsup:

lwaddict
09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Damn...
hope he didn't go and have kids with it. :goodluck:

OnlineRender
09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
try living with my wife then , although my 3 year old now knows that all animations are made by humans and are not real .... kinda like saying santa dosn't exist ,and everytime my office machines on she ask " is it rendering " .

OnlineRender
09-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Hello Chris,
i am interested in modeling scene for Urban Terror. in Lightwave, please could you advise some help information how to start _?
Thanks.
jan

wonder how that went ? lol