PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre File issues - AGAIN!!

Lowly Designer
10-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi folks,

I posted a while ago regarding mysterious file problems I was experiencing with LW9.*, well here's another one, see attached file list for the programs folder in my apps folder.

See if you can spot the weird files - yes you got it - it's the Lightwave app itself - miraculously decided to divide itself into 2 app icons called LW 2 and LW 3.

Anyone have any similar problems with LW9.*?

I still have no answer for why the files rename themselves or decide to disappear it's beginning to be a bit of a pain.:thumbsdow

Lowly Designer
11-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Perhaps this would be better explained by the powers at Newtek? Chuck did try to help me out a while ago but I didn't get any conclusive answers.

Anyone had anything similar or am I the only one having these probs?

Lowly D.

archijam
11-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Nope. Sorry to say, but that's plain odd.

I have installed 9, betas, 9.2 + 9.3, and had no such issues.

What installer are you using? CD?

j.

Lowly Designer
11-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Since posting I have studied the folder a little closer and noticed even more wierdness:

1. 3x Lightwave Layout apps/icons
2. Hub cmdline file renamed/duplicated as cmdlineexe
3. Missing dx.lib file
4. Missing LSid file
5. Renamed locus9.shlb to locu9.shlb

This is nuts!!:help:

I used the downloaded installer from the Newtek website, I have noticed other issues as well LW no longer allows me to double click a file to load it, I have to open lightwave Mod or Lay and open the file from the file menu rather than drag/drop or double click.

zapper1998
11-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Its an ALIEN thing...

You are being targeted buy an Alien Invasion on a massive scale..

just kidding.... :D

sounds like an accidental something or rother....??

Lowly Designer
11-06-2007, 04:18 AM
So it would seem!!!! :)

Anyone else got any views?

L.D.

BeeVee
11-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Personally, I would throw the whole lot in the bin and install again from a fresh download of the latest version. Your license.key will be safely on your account at http://register.newtek.com. Don't put more than one version in the same place on your hard drive, LightWave doesn't do patches.

B

Lowly Designer
11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Yep! that seems to be the only sensible solution so far, I have had to do this several times not consecutively of course, but with intervals between each re-install.

The problem with doing that is that I lose all of my settings for the programs, I know you can save menu layouts and all that but part of me is saying if I saved the settings from what appears to be a corrupt/wobbly install will they also affect the new install? - so I don't use them. And as a consequence have to reset everything I changed.

I suppose it's a small price to pay for having such a wonderful program to play with!!!:)

I think I may send the suspect files to Newtek to see if they can dissect them and make sense of what has happened.

L.D.

Lowly Designer
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry Ben, didn't check who the last poster was, what I meant to say was if you would like me to send the actual files to you I would be more than happy. I have previously sent just a file list to Chuck but I don't think that really helped but this time I thought I'd save the programs folder instead of binning it, so I have all the files from the programs folder if you or chuck would like them.

Kind regards
L.D.

BeeVee
11-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi L.D.,

Your configs are stored elsewhere, so if you want to really be sure you are starting with a clean slate you'll need to go to ~/Library/Preferences and clear out anything saying LightWave - be it folder or file.

I think we should see if that resolves the issue and if not then I'd like to get the programs folder from you? Are you using the Universal version? That has a slightly different set-up on disk.

B

Lowly Designer
11-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi, BV

I'm still on the old PPC version and I have now wiped my mac and re-installed everything from scratch however I still have the old files if you need them.

Since I wiped my mac all the old pref files are gone. I'm now updating LW to the latest incarnation 9.3.1 32bit PPC version.

Hopefully this may solve the problems but I'm not sure. I'll hang on to the old prog folder just in case you may want the damaged files for your own purposes.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any unusual behaviour!! 8~

Regards
L.D.

Lowly Designer
12-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Right,

Been working with the re-installed version 9.3.1 PPC, haven't had any file re-naming yet, but still can't double click to open files just errors on me saying that it can't open the file. The file opens fine when you use the file menu open command.

Help files still don't work eg flash help used to work with V9 but not since I upgraded to 9.x.x, downloaded the help files again but still no joy - they're cream-crackered.

Also get strange numbers appearing when doing an F9 render the progress bar does not show the correct percentage left it just shows a weird number then updates once the frame is rendered.

Since I just wiped the mac I'm sure that the mac can't be at fault here?, does LW have any known conflicts with other common apps I'm not aware of?
I am pretty sure that LW runs within it's own kind of shell/framework/environment (not sure if these are correct terms for what I'm trying to say) and is therefore not affected by the usual probs that other apps suffer from.

Any comments on these observations? are these known PPC faults?

Regards
L.D.

Chilton
12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Greetings, Lowly Mac User...

I am pretty sure that LW runs within it's own kind of shell/framework/environment (not sure if these are correct terms for what I'm trying to say) and is therefore not affected by the usual probs that other apps suffer from.

Any comments on these observations? are these known PPC faults?

We have a Mac section here in the forums. If you post these kinds of questions in there, they'll get answered a LOT faster than if they're out in the main section, because I don't monitor all of the NT forums, but I do watch that one closely.

The double-click to launch bug is a bug in the plist in the layout app. I thought we fixed that in 9.3, so it's a bit annoying to see it still around.

Why your apps are duplicated, and with a number after them, is a real mystery to me.

The icon for the shared libraries is also different than it 'should' be for that type of shared library, which makes me wonder what other app registered that type of file as its own.

Edit: Regarding the help files, we'll have a new set of 9.3.1 installers on our website soon that will include the Help files, wired up correctly.

Curious. Very curious...
-Chilton