PDA

View Full Version : High quality checkbox

smee-again
10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi all

just wondering in ted is it possible to default to high quality. I know i can do it in toolshed but would rather save some clicks and have it come in at high quality from the start.

Also if you load an image to a ddr does this come in at medium quality aswell? if it does I dont see a way to change it to high quality unless you install the edit properties skin.

Cheers

Cam

ted
10-30-2007, 10:13 PM
The only time HQ will improve an image is if the image has been altered in size or shape or if overlay is applied, I'm fairly confident...

Toolshed is the only way I know of to do as you wish. We use it A LOT.

Rich Deustachio
10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I think it would be nice to have 6 or so customizable buttons that you can assign tasks to. For example say you used the high quality setting all the time, you could set one of the buttons to be "set clip quality to high" Other buttons you could set to other things that you normally would find in properties or other harder to get to areas of the program.

Different people use different features more or less than others, so having customizable buttons would be a great way to personalize your system for your most used features. similar to what you can do with toolshed but placed in an easier location.

John Perkins
10-31-2007, 04:25 PM
High quality only effects the alpha channel, so for normal video it has exactly the same image quality as medium.

For many overlays such as ones with all rectangular edges, you won't even see a difference between medium and high. If you have non-rectangular alpha edges, then you will want high quality enabled.

I hope this helps,

smee-again
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys,

So John when I load up a heap of photoshop png's in a ddr for use in the DSK do they come in as high quality. I have often thought they dont look as good as when in ted

John Perkins
10-31-2007, 05:10 PM
They will import at medium in DDR's.

If you intend to use them in DDR's, having them be the correct resolution (720x486 or 576, as needed) will give better results. High quality does a better job of scaling the alpha channel, but if they are correctly sized, there is no need.

You could go to the editor, set the options you need and make content instances of each, but this is slow and IMHO, prescaling your content makes the live show more reliable. The less extra work that has to be done in realtime, on the fly, the more comfortable I am.

smee-again
10-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Ta John

I do always have them the right size but it the editor it always makes a difference to the quality.

Just a thought maybe i'm using wrong pixel aspect ratio in photoshop. i have always just used 720x576 (pal) square pixels. maybe should use 1.066 ratio pixels. will do a test.

John Perkins
11-01-2007, 09:24 AM
The rendering code and the path to output is the same in the DDR as in the editor, so unless you are adjusting something in the editor that isn't available in the DDR, the results should be identical.

jsanfilippo
11-03-2007, 07:32 AM
John,

So for NTSC, what size, and particularly, pixel aspect ratio, *should* we be using when saving photoshop PNGs for use in a DDR?

John Perkins
11-03-2007, 11:35 AM
720x486, but for stills we aren't going to pick up on the pixel aspect, it will fill the 720x486 screen pixel for pixel. (this is assuming NTSC, for PAL use 576)

When working in a paint app, use these Pixel aspect ratios:
NTSC 4:3 = .9
NTSC 16:9 = 1.185
PAL 4:3 = 1.067
PAL 16:9 = 1.422

That way you can draw circles that will still be circles on the video monitor.