PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone upgraded iMac processors?

Mr Maze
10-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I have an Intel Core Duo iMac, and am thinking about upgrading it to a Core 2 Duo. The one which would match my system is only $130, and I am wondering if anyone here has done this and if it is worth it as far as speed increases.

I am not afraid of tearing down my iMac, I have built dozens of PC's and repaired laptops over the years...

littlewaves
10-31-2007, 08:25 AM
I am not afraid

Yoda: "You will be... you will be!"

Mr Maze
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Actually I looked at instructions someone posted online. Not too bad, just requires patience.

gerry_g
10-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Patience, a crowbar, a sharp chisel, luck and a large box of Band-Aids, this is an hermetically sealed coffin for components, what goes in will never come out again

Mr Maze
10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Ah you guys are pessimists. Take a look at this link: LINK (http://www.maclife.com/article/create_upgrade_your_imac_to_a_core_2_duo_processor )

While trying to find that link, I ended up finding another one which the guy said he got a 45% speed increase in some benchmark tests. So I guess that settles it for me...Scalpel! Forceps!

Hermetically sealed coffin. Sheesh.

Artistrendering
10-31-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm sure things have change in the newest pro towers, but way back when I upgraded a powerPC 400mhz to a 1.2 ghz processor and it was a walk in the park from what I remember.

Just make sure you're grounded.