PDA

View Full Version : This should be required by law

animotion
10-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Its funny how people around you just don't understand why it takes so much time and effort to create the stuff that we do.

You know it should be required by law that everyone should do 6 months of this thing called CG every ten years so that all can appreciate the 20 hrs. a day of mind numbing hell we go thru.

Now that I got that off my chest, back to work, I love this stuff :D

Mr Maze
10-30-2007, 02:23 PM
What I like even more is when they say, "Why is it going to take so long?" And so you go into detailed description using correct terms and they say "I don't know what any of that means." This is not just limited to 3D work...

You're right, time to get back to work.

Steamthrower
10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Lessee, Mr. Client, it'll be done right after I tweak the dynamics of this ClothFX object and adjust the envelopes of the hypervoxel particles...now lemme apply a dialectric shader to this group of polies...grab that Wacom tablet, will you? Thanks...now I'll produce this spline segment and freeze it, then smooth shift it...yeah, looking better...my Catmull-Clarks Sub-D's are looking great...

Philbert
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
My client now knows some of the CG terms, but not all, that's even worse I think. I never know what he'll understand and what he won't.

animotion
10-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately family members don't really understand the dedication it requires either.

Philbert
10-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I always laugh when I show some of my work to people (family or not) and they say "you drew that?". Even after explaining that I work in 3D.

Mr Maze
10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Just tell them that you did draw it, it is much less painful.

Silkrooster
10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I always laugh when I show some of my work to people (family or not) and they say "you drew that?". Even after explaining that I work in 3D.
You could tell them you draw pop ups.:D
Silk

iconoclasty
10-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Quote from my mother: "oh Suzie's son is an animator too. He draws a comic for the local paper". Followed by an hour of trying to explain that that's not what I do... again.

Philbert
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I can't wait to see animation displayed in the local paper! We're getting closer and closer to Minority Report.

sean hargreaves
10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I love it when I'm explaining to a client something, and I look at them and "I wonder whats for dinner/whats on t.v. tonight" is written all over their face.
And then client 2 wanders over and client 1 says to client 2, "Oh hey, hmmmm, Sean was explaining about why the, .........mmm, the......mmmm, that........Sean, tell him what you told me!"

WHAT ARE THE RQUIREMENTS FOR THESE PEOPLES JOBS???????:bangwall:

Steamthrower
10-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, you can't knock everyone's jobs. Some of them require skills that us, as artists, just don't have. Like playing the stock market: few of us would become millionaires that way.

Some people, though, man that's a different story...

animotion
10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Didn't you know this is not real until you make a million dollars from it. :D

xxiii
11-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Funny, I can see an accountant posting this exact same thing about you/us in an analogous forum after trying to explain why s/he can't just go and pick up a 20 node render farm this afternoon, probably adding something like "for someone who works with 3d-math - including nurbs and radiosity - all day, you'd think they would understand basic math. WHAT ARE THE " (etc). Where "basic" is whatever an accountant would consider to be basic. :)

In short, there is a reason they are "the client" and you're "hired", and the requirements for their job are related to whatever THEIR JOB is, and almost certainly doesn't include YOUR JOB (or they wouldn't have hired you in the first place).

Now, if you want to complain about people who THINK they know YOUR JOB and start trying to give you "suggestions" (I hate it when people in different fields try to tell me HOW instead of WHAT), thats a different thing.

(ok, sorry, its early when I read this, and it pushed a button (probably related long ago to a math teacher who told me I would never be good at such'n'such field until I understood so'n'so math. (Going on 20 years now, and I still haven't needed the math in question, but then I never learned the math in question very well, so who knows what I might be missing out on (and any of my co-workers, who also don't seem to be engaging in this type of math on a regular (or any) basis either.))

I love it when I'm explaining to a client something, and I look at them and "I wonder whats for dinner/whats on t.v. tonight" is written all over their face.
[...]
WHAT ARE THE RQUIREMENTS FOR THESE PEOPLES JOBS???????:bangwall:

Draven
11-04-2007, 12:38 PM
My client now knows some of the CG terms, but not all, that's even worse I think. I never know what he'll understand and what he won't.

Many clients these days only know one word about CG. "Maya".....

neocount73
11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Exellent thread, hope it's not dead, cuz I got a doozie for everyone. I unfortunatly don't get to work with clients. I work for one guy. The worse kind of guy. An Engineer! (shudder) When I started doing 3d for him he wouldn't bat an eyelash when it took me a month+ to photograph/ model/ texture/ animate/ render a complex NASA testing facility. A decade later; the animations and models are way more complex (and better looking) than they ever were, but when I tell him it will take me more than a day or two to do ANYTHING: he has a heart-attack. "even with the new expensive super-duper computer I got for you!?" He will then ask some of the best questions I've ever heard, "Can't we do it faster?" or I'll get this gem, "How can we streamline the process?" Hmmm, oh I don't know, maybe hire a second 3d artist!!!?? :cursin:
Sorry, I seem to be just ranting and raving instead of contributing to the convo. Any recomendations for a good therapist?