PDA

View Full Version : Porous material

sinelab
10-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Does anyone know what the best way is to model a porus material, to show a macro view of particles flowing through them ?

erikals
10-31-2007, 12:44 PM
um, not sure what you mean by porus material,..
could you posts a pick/link?

flakester
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
If you mean like pumice stone or something like it, then basically - lots of modelling the little holes.

Maybe start with a tesselated sphere, metaform divide it, take a section (delete what you don't need) - flatten it. Adjust the shape to fit your basic needs.

This should give you a general starting place for the holes, and enough geometry to rough up the suface before displacement and bump.

For animating the particles - depending on the version of LW you have, there should be an option to animate particles along a path.

Hope that helps.

flakester.

erikals
10-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking hypervoxels,... but also there was a trick using a buch of 1poly planes on top of each other, for then to add a procedural texture to it....
it was a cookie tuturial posted here

flakester
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking hypervoxels,... but also there was a trick using a buch of 1poly planes on top of each other, for then to add a procedural texture to it....
it was a cookie tuturial posted here

Both sound like very sensible ideas.
I generally end up taking the brute force approach with things like this - though there are often better and quicker ways of tackling tasks.

I'd be pleased to see the outcome of this, no matter which approach is used.

flakester.