PDA

View Full Version : PDF page size...

starbase1
10-29-2007, 05:07 AM
A minor point, but the pages on the PDF documents are set up for the old print manual size, and I suspect I am not alone in printing on A4, (I think US legal size is popular over the pond and not far out in terms of size).

It would take a lot less pages to print if the manuals were done on something close to A4.

Nick

Steamthrower
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Here, "letter" size is by far the most common. We use legal not very often, it's long and extended.

starbase1
11-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Here, "letter" size is by far the most common. We use legal not very often, it's long and extended.

But I guess the almost square current proportions are inappropriate for you too?

Steamthrower
11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Yes, quite.

JeffrySG
11-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Good idea! something close to 210mm x 297mm (A4) or x 215.9mm x 279.4mm (letter) would be much easier to print at home. Then again, I don't think I'll be printing the full manuals any more. But for future users or any new info that we want to print it would make sense!

starbase1
11-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Good idea! something close to 210mm x 297mm (A4) or x 215.9mm x 279.4mm (letter) would be much easier to print at home. Then again, I don't think I'll be printing the full manuals any more. But for future users or any new info that we want to print it would make sense!

Well,m it's not unusual for me to print out a chapter, but I did recently decide to print out the modeller manual, and look at the tools I've never used (which is what prompted the suggestion).

colkai
11-07-2007, 03:39 AM
Agreed, give us a decent A4 output, such a waste.

Steamthrower
11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
All good points, but I'd still like a new CA toolset a heck of a lot more than a letter/A4 size paper size!

colkai
11-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Yup, but then, the docs and the code are rarely written by the same teams.
Trust me, the last thing you want is the coder doing the docs, even we don't understand what we've written after we return to them months later. ;)

So it's unlikely any effort on the docs would detract from the development. :)

starbase1
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
All good points, but I'd still like a new CA toolset a heck of a lot more than a letter/A4 size paper size!

Oh come on, repaginating to a new page size should take one click to do, and one for "save as" to avoid doing it twice.

Nick

loki74
11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh come on, repaginating to a new page size should take one click to do, and one for "save as" to avoid doing it twice.

Nick

eeeeehhh......sort of..

as an avid LaTeX user (although i dont know what NT uses to typeset these docs) and someone nitpicky about how a document looks... I think that getting a nice repagination would be much more difficult than a click. One click would get all the text onto an A4 page, but it might look ugly, or be difficult to read.

Steamthrower
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Let's see..."repaginating" might be something possible to do ourselves...possibly.

loki74
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Let's see..."repaginating" might be something possible to do ourselves...possibly.

possibly... it would probably involve breaking some copyright laws, but I personally think it would help NT. Not sure if you were joking or not, but I'd be willing to give it a shot... given the time (and of course the ok from NT...).

Matt
11-14-2007, 03:22 AM
I'd love to re-write the docs if:

a) I had the time

b) I knew everything about LW

:D

But yes, International A4 would work for all wouldn't it?

Marvin Miller
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
For what it's worth, the template for the LightWave 9 docs were based on the NewTek-EUROPE version of the LightWave 8 manuals. It is definitely more than a click-of-a-button to change things like that. Changing the page size is easy, it's making sure everything lines up after which is the painful part.

If it looks like there is enough interest, and it looks like there could be, I can look into changing it in a future update.

starbase1
11-27-2007, 01:19 PM
For what it's worth, the template for the LightWave 9 docs were based on the NewTek-EUROPE version of the LightWave 8 manuals. It is definitely more than a click-of-a-button to change things like that. Changing the page size is easy, it's making sure everything lines up after which is the painful part.

If it looks like there is enough interest, and it looks like there could be, I can look into changing it in a future update.

Maybe try a rough cut, offer it as a "beta" type option and see how many people pick up on it?

Nick