PDA

View Full Version : Quick stupid modeler question

sublimationman
10-29-2007, 12:50 AM
How do you make multiple polygons part of a single object. In other words I have an object made of many separate polys and want to be able to select say 1 polygon and then hit "select connected" to select the rest of that object.

I know it's gotta be simple but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks!

jameswillmott
10-29-2007, 12:57 AM
The polygons have to be connected for that to work.

Alternatively, you can select the polygons you want and use the Create Part function to create like a selection set of those polygons. You can recall it with the statistics panel ( default 'w' )

sublimationman
10-29-2007, 01:37 AM
So if I have say a box and a ball and they are touching is there a way to "connect" them?

Or lets say you have a building made of in layers of several boxes, can you connect them so you can select them that way?

The object I am working on is much more complex than this and would be hard to explain but it's the same idea. It's basically like a geodesic dome make up of hundreds of hexagons with every other one a different surface name. The end object will be cloned hundreds of times and I will need to be able to select a single one (some will be overlapping so I can't get to all the polys) and move them around.

Thanks!

SplineGod
10-29-2007, 02:27 AM
You would have to boolean them together in one layer. If you need to select parts of a complex object use part names, selection sets, weight maps etc to create groups that you can select via the statistics window.

MysteryMonkey
11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
How do you make multiple polygons part of a single object. In other words I have an object made of many separate polys and want to be able to select say 1 polygon and then hit "select connected" to select the rest of that object.

I know it's gotta be simple but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks!

Probably not quite the answer to your specific question but this may help.

If I have several different objects in a model and I want to select "all" of just a few of them I can select a poly on one object, hold down the Shift key and select a poly on another (and on and on) Then once I have at least one poly selected on all the objects I want to pick I'll hit the " ] " select connected and all the polys attached to the ones already selected will be too.

gfrederickk
11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
The key question is, "Do you want them to be part of one obect, or do you simply wan to be able to select them together quickly and easily?"

If you want to make them one object, you can boolean them together (boolean add or boolean union), but they'll have to be touching to accomplish this.

If you simply want to be able to slect them together easily, the polys do not have to be touching. Just select both, and make them and create a "part." To do that, go to your View tab > Selection Sets > Create Part. Give your part a name. You can select that part again later by calling up your Statistics panel. The Parts menu is located near the bottom of your menu choices. Scroll through and you'll find your part.Choose your part, then click the little + sign to the left. Your part will be selected.