PDA

View Full Version : Yet another license.key problem

jwalton
10-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Before anyone responds with "do a search", I've already read all of the relevant threads about this. I downloaded and installed 9.3 and it says that my "license has expired". 9.0 and 9.2 work just fine. Incidentally, they have different license keys. I copied each one (one at a time) and neither work. I went to Layout and entered the key with the Help function menu and it didn't even create the license.key file in the 9.3 Programs directory. Hmmph.

Any other suggestions?

Dexter2999
10-29-2007, 12:20 AM
so you read this and tried all this already?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73467&highlight=license+key

BeeVee
10-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Just copy the license.key file from your LightWave 9.0/Programs directory to your LightWave 9.3/Programs directory (if you still have 9.0 installed and you are using a Windows PC rather than a Mac).

B

jwalton
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for responding Dexter2999 and BeeVee.

Dexter2999, I went through that thread and the three or four others that were related and tried all the same stuff. Copied license.key files from both 9.0 and 9.2 (9.2 still works btw), tried to create the key file from the Layout Help menu function. Admitedly, I don't remember seeing it say that it successfully created the key file and after I did it, there was no new key file in the 9.3 Programs folder. That could be the issue I suppose, but then copying the 9.2 key into the 9.3 Programs folder should've solved the problem.

Maybe a call to Tech Support is in order...

Thanks again,
Jim

BeeVee
10-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Are you using the Universal Binary version? If so, then you need to put the license.key file in either:

LightWave 9.3/Shared support

or

~Library/Preferences/LightWave3D

B

jwalton
10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Are you using the Universal Binary version? If so, then you need to put the license.key file in either:

LightWave 9.3/Shared support

or

~Library/Preferences/LightWave3D

B

Nope, using the general 32bit Windows version. I'm running Vista and I noticed that when Layout writes the license file, it doesn't put it into the Newtek folder where Lightwave was installed, it writes it to:

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave 3D 9.3

Is there a reason (other than I'm stupid enough to try and run this on Vista) that it isn't writing the license.key file to the correct folder? BTW, Yes, I've copied the license.key file into the folder that it should be in and it still continues to run in Discovery mode.

BeeVee
10-30-2007, 03:34 AM
You've copied it to LightWave 3D 9.3\programs? Vista's VirtualStore shouldn't affect this, or the path should be resolved "correctly" by LightWave. I have Vista 64-bit here and don't have the same problem. Are you running as admin when you copy the file to the right place? Or alternatively, have you copied the file as admin while being a user? :eek:

B

Dan_The_Man
10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
"License has expired" is of course indicative of a temporary license key. You're only going to have a TLK if you A) have an expired trial license key or B) are running on a beta version of the program.

If it's A, then you may want to try getting the latest dongle drivers; 7.3.0, which install with 9.0 and 9.2 should work fine, but if you had forgone the 7.4.0 install during 9.3 it may not be seeing the dongle. Go here and download the latest:

http://safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

Make sure it's not a beta version of the software; the easiest way to do that is open it up and read the title bar of the program. If it has a build number like 1283 then it's a beta version and the key has likely long since expired. If it just says NewTek LightWave 3D 9.3 (Win32) then it should be a released version.

If all else fails always it never hurts to reinstall then give us a call.

jwalton
10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for responding Dan. OK, from top down, I'm not using a beta release. I verified that there are no build numbers in the title-bar of the application. I followed all the prompts during the install and let it load up the latest Sentinal Drivers giving me 7.4.0 in my 9.3 directory. I looked at the Sentinal versions in my 9.0 and 9.2 directories and they are 7.3.0 and 7.3.2 respectively.

I'll download and reinstall the latest Sentinal Drivers from your link and let you know what happens.

Thanks again,
Jim

jwalton
10-31-2007, 06:55 PM
OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled 9.3 and the Sentinal Drivers seperately and I still have the same problems. I also took Ben's questions about copying the license file as admin (as user) and gave the Users group full access/control to the file after it was copied into the 9.3/Programs folder. (Yes, it did force me to go into the stupid Vista temporary Admin mode to make the copy.)

I suppose I can try and install the 7.3.2 version of Sentinal but I'm concerned that it might overwrite and/or break the working version that's linked to the 9.2 install.

I will probably call on Friday when I have some time to spend on the phone.

Thanks all,
Jim