PDA

View Full Version : Rounding a simple shape

starbase1
10-27-2007, 03:54 AM
I have a simple shape and I want to round off the edges.
Rounder gives technobabble errors and threatens to shut down modeler entirely...

Anyone got any ideas? I think its the bit on the inside of the step it doesn't like.

Nick

starbase1
10-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Argh! Now this one is doing it too...
What does it take to smooth off edges?!?!

Sekhar
10-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Usually, doing a merge points shuts the thing up for me.

markschum
10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
I found that using rounder but with only one or two polys selected works best for me . There is then some patching to be done . Or try edge bevel.

for that shape I would have made the end poly of the step, used fillet plugin to round the edges, then extruded it , then maybe used rounder or bevel to round the sides .

I am a relative beginner though , so if theres a hard way , thats what I probably do :)

starbase1
10-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Usually, doing a merge points shuts the thing up for me.

Thanks, that did not help in these cases... I can see how it might help though...
Nick

starbase1
10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I found that using rounder but with only one or two polys selected works best for me . There is then some patching to be done . Or try edge bevel.

for that shape I would have made the end poly of the step, used fillet plugin to round the edges, then extruded it , then maybe used rounder or bevel to round the sides .

I am a relative beginner though , so if theres a hard way , thats what I probably do :)

I gave edge bevel a go, but that made a bigger mess than rounder!

hrgiger
10-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I tried it using a few different ways to create the original shape and it worked both times. As much as I haven't liked rounder, it performed as expected this time. The first is using an ngon and the second is all quads. Rounder didn't seem to know the difference and rounded both of them. Recheck all your points and make sure they're connected.

Surrealist.
10-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Should be a piece of cake for Rounder.

One thing I have noticed and finally think I can repeat is this:

Based on this tool functionality;

-drag up and down for a larger or smaller offset distance.
-drag left and right for number of segments.

if I drag all the way down to 0 on the offset I start to get an error message when I click in the window.

If I manually enter a number into this field the message goes away and the tool works if I click and drag again.

Don't know if this has happened to you or if it is even widely repeatable but you can also try to delete your rounder config and see if that helps or even your modeler config perhaps.

starbase1
10-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the time and suggestions guys - I think I maybe need to reboot to get everything reset, and start again...

TheDAve
10-29-2007, 07:30 AM
The best tutorial I have found to explain how you have to fight rounder to round even the simplest shapes can be found here

http://www.stevewarner.com/Freeview/01/

DAve

starbase1
11-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I finally got round to checking this out - thanks Dave, it makes a LOT more sense now!