PDA

View Full Version : Leopard and fPrime

zapata
10-27-2007, 01:32 AM
On my G5 with Leopard, fPrime don't show save window. Either on preview mode or on render mode.
Anyone have my same problem or know any solution? Thanks.

3dworks
10-27-2007, 04:17 AM
strange, it is working here. what versions are you using?

here fprime 3.01 with LW build 1280 CFM, on G5 quad.

cheers

markus

zapata
10-27-2007, 04:32 AM
I'm using LW 9.3 on G5 Quad with fPrime 3.01. I hope find a solution very soon. I have two monitors with nVidia Quadro FX 4500, maybe the problem is that I use two monitors...

3dworks
10-27-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm using LW 9.3 on G5 Quad with fPrime 3.01. I hope find a solution very soon. I have two monitors with nVidia Quadro FX 4500, maybe the problem is that I use two monitors...

maybe, i'm not using 2 monitors anymore and use ATI X1900, so i can't tell...

Haven1000
10-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Could you post a screen shot of the fprime windows?

zapata
10-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm going mad looking for solution. I tried everything... is it possible that this happen only on my G5?
In the picture you can see just after I push 'save button' in render window: nothing! The 'pick save type' window doesn't exist, lost. At this way you cannot continue.
Many thanks for help

Scazzino
10-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Have you changed your monitor arrangement? It sounds like it may be opening offscreen, maybe to a location that used to be on screen at one point. You can try deleting your LightWave Layout 9 Prefs file which contains entries for "DialogPosition" and "WindowShape" which may be affecting where the dialog is opening...

:goodluck:

zapata
10-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Yes I tried: with one monitor, without old preferences, reloading fPrime... everything
On Tiger all continue working right. Have you a G5 too?

Scazzino
10-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes I tried: with one monitor, without old preferences, reloading fPrime... everything
On Tiger all continue working right. Have you a G5 too?

Hmm, was worth a shot...

Yes I have a G5 here at home with dual monitors, but I'm running Tiger... haven't had time to try Leopard yet... When you run FPrime with Tiger and save, make sure you put all the dialogs on your main screen if you are going to try it with one screen, otherwise they may open off-screen when you only use one screen...

zapata
10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes I made it. I restart on Tiger and check where the 'save' window show on the screen, I put it on the main and restart on Leopard. Nothing.

Scazzino
10-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Which dialog are you missing? The save file dialog and/or the FPrime file type dialog that pops up after that?

When the dialog doesn't appear, does pressing Return do anything, as if the dialog is just invisible but still functional?

zapata
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Which dialog are you missing? The save file dialog and/or the FPrime file type dialog that pops up after that?

When the dialog doesn't appear, does pressing Return do anything, as if the dialog is just invisible but still functional?

It happen either on preview mode or with 'fPrime render'. For example when you click on 'set file name and save format' in the 'fPrime render' window you go on the finder window to choice a locaton where save your file, when you return on Lightwave window you have a fPrime window called 'pick save type' where you can choice the file format. Thi window is disappeared, lost... puff! doesn't exist anymore.
You understand that at this way it's impossible to continue.
Thanks a lot for your help

Scazzino
10-27-2007, 01:40 PM
...You understand that at this way it's impossible to continue.
Thanks a lot for your help

OK, at that point, when the image type dialog should appear, try hitting Return to see if it then tries to render... it could be possible that the GUI isn't drawing the window, but the key command return for the default button could possibly work... it's worth a shot... then if that worked it would use the default file type to save the image as, which may be changeable through the configs...

zapata
10-27-2007, 02:27 PM
OK, at that point, when the image type dialog should appear, try hitting Return to see if it then tries to render... it could be possible that the GUI isn't drawing the window, but the key command return for the default button could possibly work... it's worth a shot... then if that worked it would use the default file type to save the image as, which may be changeable through the configs...

Thank you very much Scazzino, I have already try hitting return key,nothing.
I'll try to re-install Leopard.

3dworks
10-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Thank you very much Scazzino, I have already try hitting return key,nothing.
I'll try to re-install Leopard.

did you report to worley? maybe they can give a hint how to resolve this problem...

i remember having a similar problem once after an upgrade in some time ago, but don't remember exactly the trick how i resolved it. basically it's that the missing dialog was completely misplaced and stretched out of the screen area. i vaguely remember that i set screen resolution to the max possible supported by the left monitor and mirrored both screens (display options in OSX), then i could place the dialog back to the correct position. but maybe this issue under leopard is different...

markus

zapata
10-28-2007, 04:27 AM
did you report to worley? maybe they can give a hint how to resolve this problem...

i remember having a similar problem once after an upgrade in some time ago, but don't remember exactly the trick how i resolved it. basically it's that the missing dialog was completely misplaced and stretched out of the screen area. i vaguely remember that i set screen resolution to the max possible supported by the left monitor and mirrored both screens (display options in OSX), then i could place the dialog back to the correct position. but maybe this issue under leopard is different...

markus

Thank Mark to interest in my problem. I have formatted hard disc, re-installed Leopard, re-installed LightWave 9,3: same problem, the fPrime save window completely disappeared. I am desperate.
Now I try with your suggestions... I'm tired of MAC (20 years I use it): too many problems.
Software houses prefer spend more resources on Windows, it's business.

dsol
10-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Changing your OS in the middle of a job is always a risky proposition. I'm even wary of point .x upgrades as these have been known to cause unexpected problems in the past (Quicktime, I'm looking at you!).

If it makes you feel any better, you'd probably have similar problems if you were upgrading from XP to Vista in the middle of a job.

zapata
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Just to inform the LW comunity:

Hello,
Sorry, we're aware of the problem but there's no solution available. For now the only workaround is to revert back to OSX 10.4

-Worley Labs

kfinla
10-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Just to inform the LW comunity:

Hello,
Sorry, we're aware of the problem but there's no solution available. For now the only workaround is to revert back to OSX 10.4

-Worley Labs

Oy :thumbsdow ... well i hope this causes a Fprime 3.02 to show up sooner than later.

sean hargreaves
11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow, this is super important. They are aware of it and there is no solution.

Therefore if you want to use FPrime on Leopard, you can't right now. I mean, everyone upgrades so I wonder how many others are in the crapper about this?

One word > Nightmare!

dsol
11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
No, not everyone upgrades. Only those that haven't been burned before ;) Why do you feel any burning desire to upgrade to leopard yet anyway on a machine you rely on to generate income? Leopard is a major upgrade - much bigger than Tiger under the hood, and we all know the problems that the Tiger upgrade caused.

Don't be tempted by the new shiny. it's not safe until it's been well tested in the field.

sean hargreaves
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
OK, a lot of people upgrade! :D

Phil
11-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Oy :thumbsdow ... well i hope this causes a Fprime 3.02 to show up sooner than later.

Ha. I'm still waiting for Worley to issue a UB version of any of their plugins, let alone an update for other issues. They are certainly taking their sweet time looking after their customers, on all fronts. I'm not expecting them to move until the next LW update is out the door. Perhaps we will see something by the end of the year..... :(

MacDoggie
11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey Phil,

It's kinda a parody of sorts. I was relying on F-Prime as a render solution as well as a previewer of sorts due to the fact that LW's rendering engine was lacking quite a bit in the rendering department. Now fast forward to today, and the exact opposite is in place. LW's renderer is fast enough to use, Worely can't produce a workable build of F-Prime. Seems a bit ironic to me.

But as soon as this project is up we will be upgrading and most likely running two maybe three builds of LW. This seems to be the norm these days.

Ah well...

Cheers

MacDoggie
11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Thank Mark to interest in my problem. I have formatted hard disc, re-installed Leopard, re-installed LightWave 9,3: same problem, the fPrime save window completely disappeared. I am desperate.
Now I try with your suggestions... I'm tired of MAC (20 years I use it): too many problems.
Software houses prefer spend more resources on Windows, it's business.

And ... you think it's better on the other side??? .... hmmmm

ingo
11-05-2007, 02:07 AM
And ... you think it's better on the other side??? .... hmmmm

Sure, you have more options on the Windows platform....well... more options for bugs :)

MacDoggie
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Ok before this turns into a wintel bashing session. I do want to say for the record, I use both platforms and I have had the pleasure of sitting at some really formidable wintel boxes no complaints when they're on they're on. However I have also sat a some really poorly configured, poorly maintained, Macs which can be an equally miserable session. In one instance, I brought my Powerbook pro into the office and used it in place of the G5 tower that was assigned to me. What am I saying?? good question I reckon it's the fact that if not maintained properly or configured properly machines don't perform up to their optimal performance capabilities and the Mac is no exception.... sad but true.

Having said all of this personally I will always prefer a Mac if it's my money on the barrel. They can cost more but they make up for it in the long run by delivering steadfast quality performance. You just take it out of the box, load up your software and go to work. Mileage may vary of course. I have been fortunate I reckon because I have never had a Mac that I didn't think was absolutely spot on as far as quality and performance went at the time.

I feel for the folks that are having issues with their Macs and perhaps a change of venue just might be the ticket and I hope it works for those who decide to make the switch ... be well.

Cheers

juli51
11-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Are we permanently in this caos, or it's just now?,.. The thing is wen LW upgrades, some plugings do and others don't, but then LW realises some plugings wont't work (LIke Kray 1.7 OB4) and they need a LW 9.3.1 OB, but that crashes a plugigns Like LWCAD 2.5 wich worked well, and then comes the new MAc OS X Leopard,.. Lets start again... better not to talk about our wonderfull Fprime 3 seem like frezzes, no news, no answers to mails of customers, and a short remembering to the other small plugigns like skylight lost "in transition",.. I ask myself what have I done wrong to be like that?,.... to read and re-read the forums waiting for some news of our developers?....

MacDoggie
11-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Are we permanently in this caos, or it's just now?,.. The thing is wen LW upgrades, some plugings do and others don't, but then LW realises some plugings wont't work (LIke Kray 1.7 OB4) and they need a LW 9.3.1 OB, but that crashes a plugigns Like LWCAD 2.5 wich worked well, and then comes the new MAc OS X Leopard,.. Lets start again... better not to talk about our wonderfull Fprime 3 seem like frezzes, no news, no answers to mails of customers, and a short remembering to the other small plugigns like skylight lost "in transition",.. I ask myself what have I done wrong to be like that?,.... to read and re-read the forums waiting for some news of our developers?....

Under the present circumstances I would say, "Just now" When you consider what is happening with NT it is understandable that there are going to be some casualties. Which is why I would like to see NT develop tools that would rival F-Prime LW Cad, VertiBevel, etc. etc. etc. Simply from the stand point that when major changes in the architecture occur third party tools are always the first to suffer. But you want to talk suffering then let's talk about the user who have invested money and have grown to depend on these marvelous tools. All of a sudden we are out in the cold with no solution other than running two sometime three builds of LW...

However, it is my feeling that once these issues are worked out we will have something to really look forward to. From my prospective, the glass is half full :beerchug: :beerchug:

Cheers

kfinla
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I hope so.. the lack of contact, info, updates from Worley disturbs me. I can understand waiting for the dust to settle but it's been awhile. It would be nice to know what is or isnt happening. I own all the worly plugs in mac CFM form and frankly have no idea if I will ever see a UB port or revision to any of these plugins. Upon Inquiry the best response you get is that a UB version is possible.

So yes, I tend to like the fact that the real time previewer is built into Modo not constantly in a state or repair or lacking compatibili. I would love to see a UB version of G2, Frpime 3 and Sasquatch.. frankly they could all use more than a port but an update.. but ill take the former.

MacDoggie
11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Yea, I have to confess. Modo is really sweet and just gets better and better :thumbsup:

juli51
11-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Well,.. I have also invested a lot of money,... lets say apart from LW... and lWCad, I also bought G2, Fprime 3, Sasquatch, (unusable now With LW UB) Kray unusable WIth LW 9.3, just with LW 9.3.1 OB) a a few other samall Plugigns from Xdof... And not no say about the hardaware investment,.. MAc intel pro dual core 5GB Ram,. ATi radeon x1900xt, 750 GB.. and also lots of models for scenes,. So I feel also a bit in the cold ,, hope all this will lead us to a new sunshine of 3D in MACs;)

juli51
11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I forgot, to mention also Vue 6 Xstream wich I bought because of the integration with LW,.. And didn't really work,.. so back to next updates from both. I think NewTeck, tha main Program developer should care a bit about his third part developers to try to put the right new releases about at the same time and properly integrated....... is just my opinion

Chilton
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi,

This gets into tricky territory, because we can't dictate what our third parties do with our SDK. We can fix our SDK, we can try to make easy examples for it so that they're clear, and we can work with third parties when they ask for help, but we can't force their hand.

-Chilton

juli51
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Chilton, Take my opinion just as a wish. Something like... How wonderfull it would be if.... I know we have many to thank to our third party developers...
:agree:

Ge4-ce
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
In my opinion... Woryley leaves a lot of Mac Users in the dust..

I mean: Shouldn't they as a Plugin builder for a Mac App had tried fPrime with Leopard?

I mean, they sure can afford a developer edition of Leopord like what? 1 Year ago?

I simply cannot understand, that Octobre 26th, suddenly, without knowing, you install leopard, and then: Poof! No Fprime.

Worley knew this! It cannot be that Worley did not knew this before Octobre 26th. Heck, they could have worked out the problem since the developer edition of 10.5 came out!

And what about a heads-up warning? They have all of our e-mail adresses.. They know how to find you when you pay the neccecary money for an upgrade. But what about "hey guys, the ones that want to install 10.5 in the coming week, be carefull, we ran into a few problems and fPrime won't work anymore" Everyone could appreciate that..

And what about the "promised" Multithreading of the Sasquatch for Mac?? They promised this like what? 3 years ago?? We paid the same money Windows users did??

I think this is highy unfair...

Just my 2cts

kfinla
11-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I'd have to agree.. I would have to say I was not impressed with the instability of the fprime 3 paid upgrade, seemed like it was a cash grab since there were so many issue and no fixes.

As far as Sasquatch and G2 go.. I'm glad i bought them early on and got years of use out of them, cuz they seem like dead products to me often. There has been no significant development on them for years. I'd love to me wrong, they are all amazing products ahead of their time and still hold up. But will not hold my breath that a universal binary of sasquatch or g2 will see the light of day.

Phil
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I didn't opt for Sasquatch (Fiber Factory 4 is my horse, and whilst Windows-only at the moment (pending new Mac hardware being acquired by the developer), I've more than got my money out of it) and G2 was also, for me, not particularly useful. I *do* have Taft, Polk and FPrime 3, though, and I'm mighty annoyed that Worley Labs are dragging their feet on pushing out UB versions.

Taft and Polk look relatively simple, with no infamously SDK-breaking systems like FPrime, and yet we're still waiting and with no public statement.... This isn't endearing Worley Labs to me, in any way shape or form.

MacDoggie
11-08-2007, 04:20 AM
I have to agree about the Sas thing there Phil. I bought Sas (well actually a client did) and was not impressed. It was too hard to use and a bit convoluted with a lost of gotchas. Fiber Factory seems very nice I have a friend of mine who bought Fiber Factory and he says he loves it and says it is hands down superior to Sas. From his prospective due mainly to ease of use....

Cheers

kfinla
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I seem to be able to have g2 1.7 and Fprime 3.01 running in LW 9.2 on osx 10.5 but things are shaky.. LW quits unexpectedly often.. had the master g2 panel missing buttons once.. but the main irritant is Fprime renderer is busted.. I too CAN'T SAVE and start my render sequence.. doesn't acknowledge my filename and file path selection.

G M D THREE
11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Industry rule three hundred and eighty, new OS updates are always shady. I know I am repeating what most people already said here but this thing just needs repeating. If you are making a living with your computer DON'T EVER UPDATE YOUR OS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. Wait at least 6-8 moths after relies till you can be certain there is no issue with any of the apps you use.

I don't get all the people that sleep in front of the store to be the first ones to get a copy of a OS. Its not going to get you laid, trust me, you just will be one of the beta tester that paid for its copy, and yes iTunes rocks in it but the rest is pretty sloppy.

If there should be some one sleeping in front of a store, than is should be the software developer, but they wont get to install a new OS unless there mail box explodes with bug reports about it.

And no its not a Mac problem. The devil you know is better than the one you don't. Talk to somebody who installed Vista right after it got released.

Amen and praise the code. ///

Ge4-ce
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Industry rule three hundred and eighty, new OS updates are always shady. I know I am repeating what most people already said here but this thing just needs repeating. If you are making a living with your computer DON'T EVER UPDATE YOUR OS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. Wait at least 6-8 moths after relies till you can be certain there is no issue with any of the apps you use.

///

To some point, I do agree. You better don't upgrade in a production. But This is actually not the point. Every single customer who bought software (if it's his work or not is irrelevant) should be able to use it.

If I pay 300 bucks for Fprime 3, and I cannot use it on Leopard. There are 2 options.

1) I should be aware of this problem before I install Leopard (Worleys responsibility: they should notify us by email)

2) If they fail to do nr1: They should make the software work. (again Worleys responsibilty)

Either way: If they did this, They were clean. If it doesnt work, at least you know it before you install leopard and then it's your own fault.

Just a simple e-mail would be enough.. And I repeat: They DO know your e-mail adress when they want to sell you an upgrade.

A car company recalls thousands of cars to fix a know issue. It's time that lawyers point theirs guns more at companies like Worley and stuff..

Lot's of empty promises for years and just a way to make money.

rdxl9
12-14-2007, 08:45 AM
According to Worley.com web site, fprime doesn't work with Leopard

kfinla
12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
According to Worley.com web site, fprime doesn't work with Leopard

Well kinda.. i have been able to use it in 8.5.... the problem is he told ppl 2? weeks after Leopard came out. Think that points that he's not developing for mac ? otherwise he should of had developer builds and know there was an issue months before..

etyrihje
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I just got a new mac with leopard, and was so disappointed to find out that fprime is no longer available to me :-(

MacDoggie
12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Run the CFM version ... works fine here

etyrihje
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the tip MacDoggie, I am so new to the whole Intel thing that it didnīt even occur to me, worked here too.

Would be nice to see Worley follow up though.

MacDoggie
12-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, You are not the first person that I have heard this from. Steve, if you are out there please take note....

Were in some strange times here mate..

Cheers

etyrihje
12-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Actually, I just got around to starting a render, and Fprime will not let me set the output format (the dialog box simply doesnīt appear) and hence I canīt render the image at all usng fprime... Fprime works as usual in preview mode though...

I am currently doing a render the old fashin way, will try to see if I can solve the problem once that is done.

MacDoggie
12-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Sorry, I get that sometimes but it is really odd because sometimes it does work as expected. But yes it has gotten to the point that using F-Prime can be a dodgey proposition at times. When this happens I can sometimes reboot and it will work. That does indeed make for a lot of frustration. I can definitely testify to this. We are going to have to be patient as Worely and Newtek figure out the issues (whatever they are).

Which is why I am relying more and more for Modo to do modeling and texturing (UV mapping. The tools just work and that previewer, well don't get me started...

I am hopeful that Newtek WILL eventually get this back on track but in the meantime I do have to get work done so thankfully I do have other apps to supplement and or fall back on. On a positive note the F9 renderer has really improved and is very stable so in some cases it does serve as a dependable previewer up to a certain point. When the scene builds to a certain point in complexity then this is when the F-9 previewer falls short and don't even think about suggesting viper. A lot of work HAS been done so lets not loose sight of this but a new and improved LW is NOT going to happen over night.

These are rugged times for Newtek and their user base we are just going to have to wait for them (NT) to figure out a substantial solution. THEY ARE WORKING ON IT... and peddeling as fast as they can :tongue: :tongue:

Thank goodness for the alternatives that are available... Oh and that which does not kill you makes you stronger :thumbsup: Hang in here little buckaroo!! I truly feel your pain having gone through some misery in the past I can definitely relate.

Cheers

MacDoggie
12-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Sorry, I get that sometimes but it is really odd because sometimes it does work as expected. But yes it has gotten to the point that using F-Prime can be a dodgey proposition at times. That does indeed make for a lot of frustration. I can definitely testify to this. We are going to have to be patient as Worely and Newtek figure out the issues (whatever they are).

Which is why I am relying more and more for Modo to do modeling and texturing (UV mapping. The tools just work and that previewer, well don't get me started...

I am hopeful that Newtek WILL eventually get this back on track but in the meantime I do have to get work done so thankfully I do have other apps to supplement and or fall back on. On a positive note the F9 renderer has really improved and is very stable so in some cases it does serve as a dependable previewer up to a certain point. When the scene builds to a certain point in complexity then this is when the F-9 previewer falls short and don't even think about suggesting viper. A lot of work HAS been done so lets not loose sight of this but a new and improved LW is NOT going to happen over night.

These are rugged times for Newtek and their user base we are just going to have to wait for them (NT) to figure out a substantial solution. THEY ARE WORKING ON IT... and peddeling as fast as they can :tongue: :tongue:

Thank goodness for the alternatives that are available... Oh and that which does not kill you makes you stronger :thumbsup: Hang in here little buckaroo!!

Cheers

etyrihje
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
No fix on this on the horizon? Nothing announced?

MacDoggie
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Absolutely quiet as far as I have heard. Maybe some of the Worely insiders can shed some light or inspiration ... Maybe it's the calm before the storm :question: