PDA

View Full Version : Color Grading for Dummies!

williamb
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi there…When I watch CSI, and several TVC’s I often wonder….’how the hell do they do that!

Particularly the constant look of the color…an atmosphere throughout a production…

I have VT4.6 (awaiting VT5) Aura and LW 9.3 and speedEdit

Can anyone give me good advice on color grading? I just saw http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/color/

Looks pretty cool…often I see a tvc and the yellows are really yellow and the greens a really green etc…

I’ve got a serious TVC coming up and anyone’s advice would be gratefully received.

bbeanan
10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Take a look at this video:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/segment_detail.asp?sid=190&sortby=&page=2&kwid=0&show=all_videos

good stuff...

Pete Draves
10-28-2007, 08:14 AM
It seems in video everybody is taught to fix in post.
In film people are taught to "light it" to produce an image that does not need as much correction.

Do we need more training before we get behind the camera?
Pete

badllarma
10-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi williamb,
Firstly you want to get your hands on DV Rebels Guide by Stu Maschwitz there is a big section on colour correction which you will find useful, also in the 4 disc LOTR Fellowship of the Ring there is a section on colour correction and finally for the VT there is BobT's plugins :thumbsup:

badllarma
10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi williamb,
Firstly you want to get your hands on DV Rebels Guide by Stu Maschwitz there is a big section on colour correction which you will find useful, also in the 4 disc LOTR Fellowship of the Ring thee is a section on colour correction and finally for the VT there is BobT's plugins :thumbsup:

badllarma
10-28-2007, 10:22 AM
stupid 5 min edit rule :thumbsdow

I personally find the camera matching side of things for the first grade pretty easy there seems to be a lot of black magic talk making it sound more complicated than what it is. The 2nd grade on the other hand is where the artistic side of things really kicks it.
and of course on the VT it's all real time :D

You do a search for real time colour grading you will not get much change out of 15k plus I bet, :thumbsup: :D

williamb
10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
thanks everyone great link
Will have to play with it more...