PDA

View Full Version : Some humour for my Lightwave friends...

Ade
07-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Windows RG (http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG.htm )

Lindows (http://images.lindows.com/closed/LindowsRock.html)

Have a good day... :D

dmg3d
07-01-2003, 01:07 PM
When I first saw the Windows RG...I laughed until I had tears in my eyes...

But then I thought of the poor souls who have to actually put up with that kinda stuff...

...and then I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. :D

wacom
07-01-2003, 01:32 PM
When I frist read the title of this thread I was interested. Then I read it, saw the little crappy flash pop-ups and thought it was a waste of my f*cking time to have to sit through stuff like this on a forum where I pay over 1,500 dollars to use the software this forum is for. Maybe you have a lot of time on your hands to look at crap like this, but next time please post it in the "General Discussion" forum.

AnaQuista
07-01-2003, 05:24 PM
I love this forum.
Sometimes you need somewhere to vent.
Sometimes you need some worldwide opinions, sometimes you need some modelling or kinematics advice.
Rarely have I needed some mac specific lightwave help (which is a credit to the platfom, and I use them both).

And sometimes you need some humour.

Never do you need more stress.

riki
07-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Lighten up a bit wacom no need for abuse. The thread was clearly labeled.

toby
07-01-2003, 06:11 PM
wow really sensitive wacom

Ade
07-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Thatsn why i postedit in the mac forum, no-one would be windows touchy...

The shut down feature is the funniest!

Johnny
07-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by wacom
Maybe you have a lot of time on your hands to look at crap like this...

pretty heavy-duty..

J

Johnny
07-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by dmg3d
When I first saw the Windows RG...I laughed until I had tears in my eyes...

But then I thought of the poor souls who have to actually put up with that kinda stuff...

...and then I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. :D

say..is it really like that??? or just like that only when you have some problem which can get cleared up?

J

Beamtracer
07-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Actually, it would be a bit harder to post Windows jokes on the Windows forum, wouldn't it?

riki
07-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Go on Beam, you know you want to :)

drclare
07-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Very funny, and well deserved. The mac people have always taken crap from the pc people while most of those pc people had never even used a mac, so had no grounds for gibes. But there are a lot of mac people who have used pcs (like myself) and had to go through all those ridiculous errors. I especially liked the troubleshooting on pcs, "click troubleshoot to find info on your problem...there is no info on your problem."

At first i thought that lindows thing was fake, then i went to lindows.com to discover that it is real. Strange.

Oh, and it looks like wacom had enough time on his hands to post a stupid comment on this thread that he hated.

Matt
07-02-2003, 02:55 AM
although funny, not really very true anymore is it.

Ade
07-02-2003, 03:24 AM
Sharing violations and blue screens still happen to us with win 2000 at work.

Matt
07-02-2003, 01:46 PM
<rant mode>

I'm using XP Pro, never had a blue screen, I do get 'file in use' errors with files that aren't in use, hardly a major problem though.

I have to say, I think Apple is kicking *** with their 'i' apps, beautifully integrated and well thought out, Micro$oft should take a LONG, HARD look at the philosophy behind Apple's programs, rather than just playing catch up and copying all the time, I'm left with the impression that MS just don't get it!

I mean look at iTunes and compare with Windows Media Player, it's a no contest! WMP sucks big time, iTunes is one app I really missed when I moved from Mac to PC.

In fact the ONLY reason I'm on PC is because of certain software I need to use not being available for Mac, I was forced to move.

Having said that XP is without a doubt MS's best effort to date, it is still too messy; too many options hidden away, or not grouped together nice and tidily.

It still tries to 'hold your hand' too much too, which really gets on my wick!

Some 'features' make me shout out "NO, that is SO not the way to have implemented that feature, Christ, just ASK your users, they would have told you how to do it!!!!"

</rant mode>

:rolleyes:

riki
07-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Yeah what is it with WMP, it looks like it came from the reject bin at the '$2 Store'. :)

Ade
07-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Point to all this is the jokes not funny....im funny!

Beamtracer
07-03-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by riki
Yeah what is it with WMP, it looks like it came from the reject bin at the '$2 Store'. :) That's why they call it WiMP. Most of Microsoft's codecs are not available for the Mac. M$ ported one or two just to claim that they are cross platform, which really isn't the case.
Originally posted by Matt
XP is without a doubt MS's best effort to dateThen why are most of the Windows Lightwave users avoiding XP (does that stand for Xpensive or Xploit?) and sticking with the older Win2000?

Microsoft never innovated in their history. Ever since Billy grabbed someone elses operating system called Q-DOS and renamed it MS-DOS, Microsoft has been thieving and stealing other peoples' ideas and crushing competition. People forget that competition is actually benefits Windows users.

How was it that Amazon Books was able to patent "1-Click" (the idea of pressing one button to purchase books rather than two), when M$ so thoroughly copied Apple's user interface and got away with it.

Did you know that the Internet Exploiter web browser was originally a modified version of an earlier browser called Mosaic. Mosaic was developed by Marc Andreeson, the same guy who made the first Netscape Navigator.

The Windows Media Player was made popular not because everyone liked its features, but because Microsoft threatened PC computer makers into dropping Quicktime.

Compaq and other manufacturers had previously done a licensing deal with Apple. Compaq would pay Apple US$2 to install a Quicktime player on every Compaq PC. When M$ heard about the deal, they told Compaq that their license to install Windows would be withdrawn unless the Quicktime deal was ended.

So there you go.

Lightwolf
07-03-2003, 03:04 AM
While we're ranting :)

Originally posted by Beamtracer
How was it that Amazon Books was able to patent "1-Click" (the idea of pressing one button to purchase books rather than two), when M$ so thoroughly copied Apple's user interface and got away with it.
Doesn't the Applestore have a 1-Click thang as well? Did they pirate that?
As for the UI, both pirated from Xerox labs, and I don't think Xeros ever got a dime aout of inventing the while windows/mouse thing...

Did you know that the Internet Exploiter web browser was originally a modified version of an earlier browser called Mosaic. Mosaic was developed by Marc Andreeson, the same guy who made the first Netscape Navigator.
As is the case with most current browser, they all have their roots with mosaic (except for completely new developments, like Opera...).

The Windows Media Player was made popular not because everyone liked its features, but because Microsoft threatened PC computer makers into dropping Quicktime.
And also because Quicktime has an extremely crappy performance on PCs. I like the features, but it's so slow, I might as well use a Mac ;)

Compaq and other manufacturers had previously done a licensing deal with Apple. Compaq would pay Apple US$2 to install a Quicktime player on every Compaq PC. When M$ heard about the deal, they told Compaq that their license to install Windows would be withdrawn unless the Quicktime deal was ended.

M$ are known for their ruthless business practices, and have been for ages if you've followed the licensing deals during the pas 10 or 15 years you'd know that.
Apple is catching up though by monoculturing certain applictions and thus (which I find disturbing) endangering developers of competing systems (If I look at FCPro, Shake, Emagic, DVD Studio... who in his right mind would put money into developing competing, innovative products for the mac in those areas?).

...just ranting...
M$ bashing is always easy to do, and I don't really like the company either, but credits where credits are due...
Cheers,
Mike

riki
07-03-2003, 03:14 AM
M$ bashing is always easy to do, and I don't really like the company either, but credits where credits are due...

What credit should we give M$?

toby
07-03-2003, 03:18 AM
"Halo" on the XBox... oh, wait, that was Bungie... :D

Lightwolf
07-03-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by riki
What credit should we give M$?
Put it the other way, what credits should we give Apple?
Ripping off a UI as well?
At least M$ managed to be the only company that in the last 10 or 15 years manged to develop a major operating system from scratch. I still think the licensing issues in XP suck badly, but NT3.51 -> Win2003 aren't that bad. (Mind you, I'm not talking about the Win9x crap, which is a different story).
Oh, and they gave Mac people a nice Office package as well, didn't they? :)

riki
07-03-2003, 03:42 AM
mmmmmmmm But Word sux :-)

I would like to thank Bill though, and give him credit for the things he hasn't bought.

Thank you for not buying Playstation
Thank you for not buying the English Language
Thank you for not buying Mayfair and Park Lane :)

Lightwolf
07-03-2003, 03:45 AM
lol!

btw, I use openOffice, Word does suck! ;)

Beamtracer
07-03-2003, 04:03 AM
"Doesn't the Applestore have a 1-Click thang as well? Did they pirate that?"

No, Apple unfortunately licensed 1-Click from Amazon.

"As for the UI, both pirated from Xerox labs"

That's the excuse Bill Gates always uses too. The first experimental use of a graphical interface that used a mouse was done by Xerox. Apple's desktop metaphor was much more advanced than that, and it's Apple's features that M$ ripped off.

"As is the case with most current browser, they all have their roots with mosaic"

The others, like Netscape, payed Marc Andreeson. Microsoft didn't pay him a cent for the Internet Exploiter.

"What credit should we give M$?"

Give them thanks for being allowed to live.

Lightwolf
07-03-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
The first experimental use of a graphical interface that used a mouse was done by Xerox. Apple's desktop metaphor was much more advanced than that, and it's Apple's features that M$ ripped off.
Like 2 button mice, context sensitive menus? If you go back and look at the plethora of wimp interfaces of that time, it is hard to tell who ripped what off from whom. Geos, Amiga Intuition, GEM, X-Windows...

The others, like Netscape, payed Marc Andreeson. Microsoft didn't pay him a cent for the Internet Exploiter.

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/doj/11-10Krauskopf.asp 5.) and 6.) for example. It's called business... ;)

I don't believe I'm actually defending M$ here, but it's a change for once ;)
Cheers,
Mike

Ade
07-03-2003, 04:43 AM
WMA files were derived from a company that developed it for the Amiga in 1994.
Much of win NT was ripped off from OS2/warp.

MS has shown that if u spend little or nothing on R&D and spend more on copy cat teams, making things mainstream by using your money for advertising is the way to go.

Lightwave and Cinema 4D had thier roots from the Amiga, Lightwave actually still uses part of the design from the old Amiga version where it use to bve two seperate applications
:Layout and modeller.

Adobe ripped off Deluxe paint that used to be on teh Amiga too.

riki
07-03-2003, 04:45 AM
The guy who invented email, didn't make any money either.

Personally I think that IP gets carried a bit too far.

Lightwolf
07-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Ade...
while we're having fun here...
AIFF as well as AVI (may be QT as well) are all based on file structures devloped by Electronic Arts for/with Amiga (IFF).
NT was co-developed with IBM, even though they pulled out, and owes just as much from DEC. (then again, OSX sits on a Mach kernel owing bunches to NeXT, and it looks like they're incorporating BeOS tech now as well...).
If Adobe did rip off DPaint I can't tell (PS isn't half as good as a painting app), but part of DPaint development later on write 3D Studio and then Max (Dan Silva for example).
Caligari comes from the Amiga as well, just like hash and what's left of Imagine (anybody know what happend to byte by byte? ). Oh, Real4D has to mentioned as well... Still alive and kickin'

Talk about incest or what ;)

As to the marketing... well, I guess Apple are learning their lessons from MS now, judging by the current corporate BS... Damn, you can't even trust Cupertino anymore ;)
Cheers,
Mike

riki
07-03-2003, 05:17 AM
I think they all ripped off Archimedes and that Greek guy who invented the Abacus. :D

Lightwolf
07-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Is that the Acorn Archimedes and the greek guy who ripped it off the chinese? :D

Beamtracer
07-03-2003, 07:13 AM
The story of the Mosaic browser begins before Spyglass. Andreeson lost his battle to hold on to the rights.

It's always amusing to see Bill Gates get interviewed about which way technology will go. What would he know? What has he innovated?

At least Apple is doing new things, and doing things that nobody has done before.

Ade
07-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Have u ever noticed WINDOWS has a white mouse cursor until its in an Adobe app which it turns black like macs are.

I thought d share that with you all so i can move on with my life..