PDA

View Full Version : CurveConstraint motions

carrot999
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi there,

I'm a LW newbie and am struggling with a motion path for a butterfly i have made.
The story so far...
Created a spline in modeller and using this via the motion modifier CurveConstraint with Align so my butterfly flys along the curve.
This works ok, but i need to be able to have a different motions and to vary the speed at certain times throughout and following the path.

I have tried exporting the spline from modeller as a motion path, then loading this for my butterfly, however this only gives me the XYZ keys and i also need the hpb.

I have tried using Motion Baker in Graph Ed, but this gives me keys of 0,0,0 for everything since my butterfly doesnt have any keyframes (it is aligned to the curve).

I have tried using the Motion Baker plugin, but the baked keys do not represent the original curve at all. I think this is due to each key becoming offset by the position of the previously baked key.

Any ideas how i can get the keyframes other than manually setting each frame?

Cheers, Lisa

evenflcw
10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Imho forget about CurveConstraint! It's a toy! NT should be ashamed of it!

Go down the export motion path route, it is the most flexible and controllable. To get the H and P values I suppose you are wanting simply enter the Controllers and Limits tab in the Motion Options and set the Heading and Pitch Controllers to Align to path. Then bake if you will and want further tweaking.

If you want to vary the motion you could add another item, parent the butterfly to it. Now apply the main motion to the first item and do the minor adjustments on the butterfly.

evenflcw
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Naturally adjusting the keys in the motion path can be used to adjust the timing. But since the exported motion path is also uniform in speed you could setup Cyclist. This would allow you to control how far/fast the butterfly travels down it's path given for example the Z value of another item. So just move the controller item faster to make it go faster, etc.

EDIT:
Just testing.

carrot999
10-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. Definately has given me a way forward and will play about with cyclist a bit.

Thanks again :)
Cheers, Lisa