PDA

View Full Version : Going back to 10.2.3 What's the smoothest way?

nikmills
02-21-2003, 11:46 AM
LW works fine here in 10.2.4 but I have problems in other apps and I'd like to go back. Never having done this I look here for advice. I know I've heard the How To of it a long time ago, but those threads seem to have vanished.

I doubt I can install .3 over .4. Do I have to go all the way back to 10.2 ? and do the upgrade?
What options do I choose when installing 10.2 if that's what I have to do?

Thanks

AnaQuista
02-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi I have just had to downgrade. 10.2.4 was affecting my clock and numerous other applications but not lightwave.
I do not know if there is another way but I just inserted the OSX cd and asked to keep my old settings instead of wiping the hard disk. I am now back to 10.2 and getting the 10.2.3 update and the firmware upgrade. It was actually a lot less painless than I had thought it would be and definitely better than having to go back in time to 1970 every time I restarted.

btw the old forums are at
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/index.html

nikmills
02-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks Anaquista,
You've relaxed me. Time to back-up and down-grade. You had the 1970 thing hu? I had that once too.
And thanks for the archive link! Why can't I ever find that kind of thing?
Nik

Pensart
02-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi Anaquista,

I'm also bugged with the clock and date (1970).
When i do the thing u mentioned (reinstall).
Would i need to backup my mails, favorites etc?
Or will they be untouched?

Greetz

nikmills
02-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Pensart,
You should back up anything valuable. The whole disk if possible. I say this because as a rule it should be done on any system install. (especially a backwards one like we are talking about here) I've seen whole disks wiped out on an upgrade from 10.5 to 1.2 not because of choice to erase the disk, but because the install went bad, the machine crashed and that was that. All lost. Do over.
If all goes well though and there's no such problem I think all that stuff you mention stays put. Wait for another's advice to be sure. Or just back up and see what happens. Assume you will lose the disk. Since I started working with that assumption I have never lost anything.

Pensart
02-23-2003, 04:56 AM
Thanks for your input nikmills.
I just drag a copy of my home to another harddisk and also my applications folder.
Lets go for it :p

Beamtracer
02-23-2003, 06:02 AM
Warning... downgrading your OS is a sure way to lose data. Be really careful you have backed up everything. Not only the Library folders in your Home directory, but also the root directory.

Anyone installing the incremental OS updates from Apple should be really careful to backup everything. There is a real chance that if anything goes wrong you could lose all your data.

When downgrading an OS you should really nuke everything and start again on a clean hard drive.

Pensart
02-23-2003, 06:33 AM
Don't try this at home :(
After the reinstall i my diskcopier did not work anymore so there was no chance to mount a .dmg file, not even the one to opgrade to 10.2.2.
So I'm glad i backup the whole thing and did a fresh install with formatting the hd first.

AnaQuista
03-02-2003, 08:13 AM
I have had little access to the web recently so havent posted for a while. I had to do a clean install too. Thanks beam for the backup advice. There must however be a way to do a hard drive copy. It takes ages to reinstall LW,FCP,DVDstudioPro,Photoshop etc.....and then there are the registrations and updates.
At first I had them in a seperate drive, but with a clean install the programs failed to initialise.

What program would you suggest to carry out a drive image once it is working poperly to avoid going through this again?

mlinde
03-02-2003, 11:18 AM
There's a product available, that includes a multi-GB HD (80 +) and a custom backup system. I don't have one, but here's the info:

http://www.cmsproducts.com/products_backup.htm

nikmills
03-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Hey what exactly are you guys talking about here? I must be on a very primitive level, but I just copy everything from one disk to another, by hand. I understand OS X can't be just copied on to a disk like that, but installing the system is the only thing I do from a CD, the rest is just dragged.
Retrospect is something I've considered so that back ups might be a little more efficient.

Please fill me in on these one button back ups. Is that really such a benifit?
Thanks