PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Rigging Problem!!!

LionHeart
10-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Greetings again folks :)

I have yet another rigging problem. At least Now i finally know how to rig all the bones and how to animate. But lets say i select the right arm bone and do a rotation, then other parts or even the entire model itself follows that motion and gets all twisted around.

Its like everything is glued together.

Do i need to seperat something, or what do i do? This model has no seperat layers or objects, its just one model itself. So when i modeled it i just extruded all the way trough.

WCameron
10-25-2007, 06:16 AM
SOunds like you need to REST the bones - which means you tie the bones to the points near them.

select one bone, then using the middle mouse button, bulk select your entire model (which will select all your bones) then push r.

see ifthat helps.

- Will.

flakester
10-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Howdy.

If this is for your Lego character, you could look at a couple of things to try:

Select one bone in Layout and hit 'p'. This will bring up the properties for that bone. Change the falloff amount in that window - which will affect all bones if I am right, play with the settings to find something that may work.

Or, go back into Modeler and create a weight map for each bodypart. You can then tell each individual bone to use an individual weight map for deformation falloff parameters within Layout.
Do a search for weight map tutorials to find a way of learning this.

Or, go back into Modeler, and split your model across as many layers (now it is one object file! ;) ) as you need. Then go back to Layout and restructure the parenting system of your model - this is one of those models that would animate ok without bones; just using parenting and foward kinematics. Again, do a search for forward kinematic animation to find some learning materials.

Hope this helps.

flakester.

::edit:: Haha! Completely forgot about the resting thing - just an automatic part of the process for us now! Good point well raised Will.

LionHeart
10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
SOunds like you need to REST the bones - which means you tie the bones to the points near them.

select one bone, then using the middle mouse button, bulk select your entire model (which will select all your bones) then push r.

see ifthat helps.

- Will.
Thank you :)

I have done that allready, activated all the bones by pressing r. Instead i rested all the bones by using rest position and rest rotation, but i can still not animate correctly.

Any other suggestions? Am i doing somthing wrong when placing the bones, or do i need to do somthing after placing them?

LionHeart
10-25-2007, 06:34 AM
To flakester: I just saw your post after replaying to the other post, i will try thanks :)

LionHeart
10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Thank you flakester, your 2 suggestion worked. :D

I found a quick tutorial somewhere and followed that. The tutorial was about using weight maps with bones, and it explaines the complete process.

Now i now how to create weight maps for all the body parts, adding bones and do the animation proparly of each part without other parts follows.

Thanks again to all of you who have helped. :bowdown:

Carm3D
10-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Here's a little arm rig for you to look at. Rename the .doc to .lws after downloading.

I'm guessing you are animating your arms with FK. I use IK but here's an FK rig for you to study. Notice I have all three axis of the rotation of the upper arm broken up into seperate bones. There's no way you can run into gimble issues with this kind of setup. Frames 0-80 are animated.

To make things simpler, I have the roations of the three upper-arm bones tied to the ball-shaped controller via expressions in the graph editor. Enjoy.

Edit: Also notice the "Base" bones that reset rotations, as each bone inherits the rotation of it's parent.