PDA

View Full Version : Skytracer!

sean hargreaves
10-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Anyone know of a place to get Skies for Skytracer?

SplineGod
10-25-2007, 12:09 AM
skytracer is used to generate skies.

RedBull
10-25-2007, 02:25 AM
I used to have some presets that were really well done by somebody, can't find them at the moment. (but good skies can be done)
I just tried making a few, but the amount of bugs i found in getting Viper and Fprime to show the correct settings from Skytracer, made it none worthwhile to persevere. (sorry)

My advice is to buy C4D and marvel at how it can all be done in OGL, and baked in about 5 seconds, rather than the old and rusting quickly Skytracer. ;)

10-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Advice recently recieved & followed; buy Ozone3 'cause it comes with loads of yummy presets.
I think there may be a reason nobody seems to have managed to make/post nice sets of sktracer presets. -Personaly I find there are two sorts of adjustments you can make to a skytracer sky; A) the ones that make no discernable difference apart from increasing render time, & B) the ones that increase render time and produce a screenfull of ****.

RedBull
10-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Advice recently recieved & followed; buy Ozone3 'cause it comes with loads of yummy presets.
I think there may be a reason nobody seems to have managed to make/post nice sets of sktracer presets. -Personaly I find there are two sorts of adjustments you can make to a skytracer sky; A) the ones that make no discernable difference apart from increasing render time, & B) the ones that increase render time and produce a screenfull of ****.

Yeah i ended up making some nice presets tonight, but indeed the rendertimes make Taiki look fast in comparison. I always liked Ozone, it's just E-On i'm not crash hot about, but Ozone2 was really good for it's time... It's a shame to see NT fall so far behind on this stuff.

composermanII
10-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I found the "weather" plugin that is included with the R-Man shaders looks good for the low clouds. It has many envelope control parameters that make animation nice. Go to Flay.com and do a plugin search for weather.

Best of luck,

Troy

sean hargreaves
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Well, I have Vue 6 Infinite, I got a sky and I tried loading it into Skytracer 2 and it crashed.

I mean, there is some kind of formula right? The sky in 3d is a dome, and a sky needs to be placed within that dome, which means sky images are a flattened dome.

There should be a place where you can get skys that are flattened images that you can load into LW. And they can be rotated so that the clouds receive the sun correctly. Its a simple request.

This backs up what I've said about Lightwave. Its great for interiors, but as soon as you get outside, the stuff you want to generate becomes a nightmare. Fog, haze, clouds, skies........
Vue 6 is great for this exterior stuff, but of course that is their specialty. But having said that, the way you choose the things you want in Vue is so simple. I mean, how hard can it be to program a better user interface for what I see as simple things like....fog, haze, clouds, skies, in LW?

Its a real pain! Because of the crappy LW exterior atmosphere generation, if I have a complex exterior LW model and want to import it into Vue 6, I CAN'T, because of too many poly's or points or who knows what. So I have to import it IN PIECES AND RE-ASSEMBLE. UGGGGHHHH........

And, I know there are those who have done great exteriors in LW, but at what 'time-fiddling cost'? It should be quick and simple, not brain surgery.:grumpy:

SplineGod
10-26-2007, 02:10 PM
If youve rendered a sky using Vue, Terragen, Ozone, etc you dont load it into skytracer. Skytracer generates skies on its own and you can bake them out as well. You can use LWs advancted camera tools to bake out a light probe which you can use in LW via the image world plugin, textured environment plugin or by creating a skyball object and mapping the sky onto that.

sean hargreaves
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Splinegod, but like I said, way too many steps involved.

Sorry, just frustrated today. :grumpy:

p.s. Light probe? What the......??

SplineGod
10-27-2007, 02:51 AM
http://gl.ict.usc.edu/HDRShop/tutorial/tutorial5.html

starbase1
10-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Personally I think Ozone is way overpriced unless you need animated skies. Even the basic Vue versions can export a sky as an image map you can use in environments. Lots of yummy presets, any one of which is better than the best I have seen from skytracer.

10-29-2007, 06:35 AM
'overpriced' possibly - but compared to what? - rather depends on how much you value your (or who pays for) time wasted trying to get 'real' (i.e. dismal rather than disney) skys out of skytracer. I have a sense that had I bought a copy of Vue rather than of Ozone I would have spent rather more time befor I had hdr sky images fit to use as lighting/background in LW; - even though I had to rely on this noticeboard to work out how to set a camera to render a sky to map on a skydome - in the usual 'not quite joined up' LW world.

starbase1
10-29-2007, 07:19 AM
'overpriced' possibly - but compared to what? - rather depends on how much you value your (or who pays for) time wasted trying to get 'real' (i.e. dismal rather than disney) skys out of skytracer. I have a sense that had I bought a copy of Vue rather than of Ozone I would have spent rather more time befor I had hdr sky images fit to use as lighting/background in LW; - even though I had to rely on this noticeboard to work out how to set a camera to render a sky to map on a skydome - in the usual 'not quite joined up' LW world.

I meant overpriced in comparison to other products in the same range, from the same company.

I agree, the skies from Viue are definitely on a completely different level to the dreck from skytracer, a massive improvement over it in every way.

But why buy Ozone when you can get Vue 6 Easel for $89, and get other stuff too? As for the effort to do the export from Vue, it's a simple case of going to the file menu and clicking on export! Probably worth going up the product line a bit to get some of the other features, but I do feel that skies only ozone is poor value compared to the rest of the prioduct range.

(And that assumes you didn't get v5 infinite with a previous LW upgrade anyway).

10-29-2007, 07:41 AM
"it's a simple case of going to the file menu and clicking on export!"
- sounds simple.
er, what are you exporting; an image, an object, a volumetric, something that loads onto LW backdrop imags world, or into texture background ? is it hdr - etc etc.

- pardon my query, but in (and probably due to) my limited experience, transfering usefull things intact between aplications usually depends for it's success on a reasonably deep understanding of both aplications.
- I'm still deeply puzzled by the fact that LW doesn't seem to be able to render an image which it can itself usefully load as a lightprobe image. - and then there are those images which people produce with cameras & mirror spheres as 'lightprobe images' which seem only to cover 180degrees each, so you'd need 2 of them back to back, but image world can only load a single image ?