PDA

View Full Version : Aura-Papers

Ron Kirby
10-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Can someone direct me to any tutorial on the use of papers in Aura?
Thanks Ron

SBowie
10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Use, or adding your own?

Ron Kirby
10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Just wanted to know how to use the papers that came with aura.
Ron

SBowie
10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
It's pretty straightforward, Ron, though of course there no end to creative applications.

Right click on the Papers button (top center screen) to open the Papers window, maybe stretch it out to a decent size by dragging the bottom left corner, then click something you like. (This selects a Paper, but does not make it active yet.) You'll probably want to drop the Hardness slider down to 20% give or take for a more subtle effect.

Next, left click the same button to light it up. When you paint or apply an effect, the paper will control the amount of application. Click the button off to toggle the effect.

The effect is alpha based, similar to Stencil - so the result will often have transparency where no paint has been laid down. I often take advantage of this to create textures (as for a lower third background by painting on one color range with Paper on, then turning it off and adding something different to show through the transparent parts using the Behind paint mode (F2).

Ron Kirby
10-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Steve,
I'm doing something wrong. I open papers, select a paper, click on it to select it, paint on the canvas...I see the paper bleed softly through, save a png file and then open VT and try over laying onto video and all I get is a big blob and even with overlay turned on it acts like a jpeg, no alpha.
Where am I going wrong?
Ron

SBowie
10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
It's fussy. In the current version of Aura, you need to pre-select the alpha mode (File>Export>Alpha Channel>No PreMult should be ok). Then select File>Mode PNG and set the Codec to 32bit. Finish by setting the timeline background color (upper left corner of the Layer Panel) in Aura to None, and finally select File>Export>Image.

Ron Kirby
10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Ye Haw, those final instructions made the difference. Now this could be fun!
Thanks Steve for taking the time to help out. It's much appreciated!
Ron

SBowie
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Any time. (One of the things announced for the Aura update in VT[5] is simplified file export, btw.) :)