PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit is driving me crazy!

Dragonkwon
10-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Every time I try and add media files from my documents all I get is a "?" over the file.Why doesn't Speed Edit recognize this files.Some are quicktime,windows media,flash,and mpeg.I was under the impression that Speed Edit could handle all file types.Sometimes when I do get it to render something Speed Edit does not recognize the very file it just created.Maybe
it's just me but I need help.:help:

ScorpioProd
10-24-2007, 01:16 AM
SpeedEDIT can not handle all file formats.

For Quicktime, the codec must be QT 6 or earlier. No QT 7 codec is recognized. Adding QT 7 Pro doesn't help, Newtek doesn't use that to read/write QT.

For Windows Media, these are not intended to be readable by SpeedEDIT. Newtek says it is due to licensing. If you rename the file to .avi, it MAY work.

As for Flash, SpeedEDIT can render to one of the older Flash codecs, but I don't believe Newtek said it could read Flash.

As for MPEG, well, SpeedEDIT should be able to read most MPEG codecs, but I too have had problems getting it to actually do this.

paulrus
10-24-2007, 06:49 AM
I feel your pain Dragonkwon. I've also found that SE cannot deal with Sorenson encoded MOV files at all, nor can it deal with totally uncompressed MOVs. It will play them, but the moment you try to perform any edits, it completely screws everything up.

You can TRY to convert them to an AVI by right clicking and using a SpeedHQ codec, but I've found this only works properly about 25% of the time. A good part of the time, SE will convert the file at the wrong frame rate, so you end up with a clip that plays at 1/2 it's original speed, but is the same length as the original (meaning 1/2 the clip is just gone).

The rest of the time I have to load the sequence into something like Super and have it perform the conversion or I just have to re-render everything and use the SpeedHQ codec.

The previous version of SE worked MUCH better than this current version. I've asked NewTek to let me upload some sample MOVs to their FTP server for them to test, but I haven't heard back.

Thankfully my living doesn't depend on SE being totally functional.

Dragonkwon
10-24-2007, 11:50 AM
This definately helps out alot.I wish SE had more indepth training that went deeper than the "Complete Training"dvd.At this point my $50.00 Movie Edit Pro 12 program gets better results and accepts all formats.Maybe I just need more training.

Rich Deustachio
10-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Why do we always run into this type of problem with NewTek products. It will work maybe and if this and if that. It will work but you have to do this workaround. Seems to me other products even many low end editing software accepts more types of clips than SE.

NVentive
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
It is frustrating. Our law enforcement clients bring a lot of wacko formats in here, and they are often in a huge hurry. We have to jump thru a lop of hoops to get some of the weirder stuff out.
From what I've been able to uncover, many compatibility issues seem to be related to license restrictions. Apparently, a lot of the formats flying around today are being promoted by their designers as being tamper proof, which is a feature that many content creators are looking for... .asf and .wmv are good examples of this. Low end systems are not a threat to producers because of their typically limited output options , and that probably gives the low end guys a little head room with the license agreements.