PDA

View Full Version : Copied objects SLOOOOOW to load?

objuan
10-23-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a scene, attached is a picture, which has just 1 object with a whooping 8 polygons, 1 image map, and several procedural textures. Then this one object is copied in layout several times, arranged into starbursts, and then they are duplicated and placed through out the scene. cool. except that it takes more than a half an hour to load the scene!

for each instance of the object it says:

Loading "Objects/Lightbeam.lwo"
Preparing geometry
Loading settings
Loading plug-in
Loading settings

and it takes its sweet *** time for each one, which to my mind is a pretty simple object to load in, and it seems like it should only have to load it once. is there a way around this, or something I'm missing?

I'm running LW 8.3 on Win2000

gerry_g
10-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Try saving each object out of Layout with the save trans object command and reassembling the scene using non instanced or cloned objects

objuan
10-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, that might help but it pisses me off to have to do it.

Does anyone know of other software packages that more geared towards dealing with lots of slightly modified copies of the same object? For some reason I find myself drawn to abstract setups with multiple versions of the same thing, and I often find LW to be cumbersome, or unable to deal them.

10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
For some reason I find myself drawn to composing in Photoshop !
- the exreme load time must be, I think, coming from loading procedurals - AFIK LW only loads an image map if it's not already loaded. As you seem to be repeating 'clusters' of your object, if you just made one cluster a single layer object with a single surface, then multiplky loaded that, things might get a lot easier.
There is a possibility that if you have been repeatedly loading 'fromscene' using LW93 then you might be loading some plugins a zillion times when you need them only once.