PDA

View Full Version : Camera Orbit

10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I am trying to figure out how to have my camera orbit around an object. I have been reading through the manual but can't figure out how to set this one up. Is there some kind of adjustment on a pivot point or an option in Camera Properties?

Thanks!
Kuhndog

ericsmith
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Here's an easy and straightforward route:

1. put a null at the center
2. point the camera at the null
3. parent the camera to the null

Now, just rotate the null to orbit the camera around the center

Eric

10-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Showing my ignorance here but how do you parent to the null? I have the null and camera but can't find anything in the manual that actually tells you how to Parent items together. I found Parent in Place but that is not much help here.

Thanks.....again,
Kuhndog

MooseDog
10-23-2007, 02:46 PM
"m" for motion options. all should be clear when you see the dialogue box. picture of which is in the manual.

10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Got it! Thanks for the tip, I have the PDF manual and checked again but I could be searching the doc wrong. Thanks for the help though.

-Kuhndog

Surrealist.
10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
In Schematic view you can click on an item (child) and ctrl click on another to parent to it.

To unparent click on child item and ctrl click on blank space.

Great easy way to set up and edit many parent items interactively.

SplineGod
10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Im not sure how youre searching the docs but I opened the pdf and typed the word parent in the FIND field. I hit the search next button and the first thing that came up was parenting using the schematic interface. The next one that came up was parenting using the motion panel.

ben martin
10-24-2007, 03:42 AM
Oh, yes, don't forget to select the "Camera" and only then hit "m".
You need to parent the Camera to the null, not the other way around!

If you hit "m" with null selected the "m" will bring the motion options to the null not the camera.

Simplifying:
Select the object you want to modify/Parent/Target at something and only then hit/open the "m" - (Motion Option panel).

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

lesterfoster
10-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Here's an easy and straightforward route:

1. put a null at the center
2. point the camera at the null
3. parent the camera to the null

Now, just rotate the null to orbit the camera around the center

Eric
Targeting the camera to the null would also help.

I made a quick test scene. Click on the camera and press small letter m

Hope this helps

spec24
10-24-2007, 07:20 AM
one last method :) You can also parent using the scene editor, just drag the item you want to be the child under the object you want to be the parent.

10-24-2007, 08:05 AM
You were right, it is in there. No pick in the PDF that I saw but the section was in their. I just have difficulty knowing how to search for a lot of things. Still learning the terminology. Thanks for the help. It is working great using the null.

-Kuhndog:bowdown: