PDA

View Full Version : Cloth FX - Values Chart

ben martin
10-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi, anyone have or knows about any parameters value chart showing the most accurate possible values to simulate the various known fabrics like silk, leather, cotton…etc…etc to be used in Lightwave - ClothFX?

Suggestion:
Also, it would be great if Newtek could provide some presets to ClothFX to beguin with.

I'm feed up with so many tests! :compbeati

Many thanks.

Sande
10-23-2007, 04:13 AM
You probably know this already, but there are some presets to begin with under "etc"-tab, cotton (thin/thick), silk, rubber and jelly. I always start with those and then tweak towards the material I'm after...

ben martin
10-23-2007, 06:32 AM
You probably know this already, but there are some presets to begin with under "etc"-tab, cotton (thin/thick), silk, rubber and jelly. I always start with those and then tweak towards the material I'm after...
Dhope!!!! :foreheads
Right now, I'm feeling like Homer Simpson!

No! I did not know that! :o

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Sande
10-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Ahh, ok, glad to help. :)

Dodgy
10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
There's supposed to be a way of adding presets to that list, by saving settings files somewhere, but I can't quite remember how..

ben martin
10-23-2007, 08:57 AM
There's supposed to be a way of adding presets to that list, by saving settings files somewhere, but I can't quite remember how..
That would be very interesting!
If you sort that out just let me know how! Please :-)

Surrealist.
10-23-2007, 01:40 PM
In the File tab:

Save- Saves all the settings contained in the ClothFX properties.

Load- Loads a saved Settings file. This is similar to using a Preset.

Not sure how you would add it to the list but this will work just the same.

ben martin
10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
In the File tab:

Not sure how you would add it to the list but this will work just the same.
Yep, almost the same, but not quite!
Anyway, better this than nothing! :-)

Cheers.

Celshader
10-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi, anyone have or knows about any parameters value chart showing the most accurate possible values to simulate the various known fabrics like silk, leather, cotton…etc…etc to be used in Lightwave - ClothFX?

Suggestion:
Also, it would be great if Newtek could provide some presets to ClothFX to beguin with.

I'm feed up with so many tests! :compbeati

Many thanks.

For what it's worth, ClothFX respects the scale of an object, too. If you're dealing with a 1km-square mesh that represents an ocean, you might have to crank up the Spring settings to 10,000 or higher. If you're dealing with a bee's wings, you might want to tone down the Spring forces to as little as 100 or 10.

ben martin
10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
For what it's worth, ClothFX respects the scale of an object, too. If you're dealing with a 1km-square mesh that represents an ocean, you might have to crank up the Spring settings to 10,000 or higher. If you're dealing with a bee's wings, you might want to tone down the Spring forces to as little as 100 or 10.
Great tip!

Many thanks! :thumbsup:

sirius156
10-25-2007, 04:03 AM
AND ALWAYS PUT strech limit at 10% AT THE BEGINIG
really important, and dont forget to work with dina browser…

ben martin
10-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Cool!!! :hey: Just a small doubt "dina browser" ?! :confused:

Another related issue, anyone knows where can I find free video tuts about clothFX? (if there are any)

Many thanks!

sirius156
10-25-2007, 05:19 AM
sorry i mean the FX browser, really better to calculate youre dinmics frome this panel it prevent crashes due to exessive dynamics calculations in lightwave.

ben martin
10-25-2007, 06:25 AM
sorry i mean the FX browser, really better to calculate youre dinmics frome this panel it prevent crashes due to exessive dynamics calculations in lightwave.
All right! That one I didn't know, also!!!! The things I learn here with you guys!
Fantastic! :hey:

Celshader
10-25-2007, 09:41 AM

But NEVER GO LOWER THAN 10% if dealing with restrictive structures like tight clothing or sleeves. If you're dealing with a free-moving structure like a flat plane (oceans, flags), go to town and lower Stretch Limit as much as you want.

If you lower Stretch Limit too much on difficult calculation situations like tight clothing, you risk backing ClothFX into a corner during its calculations. It will then allow ONE polygon to stretch as much as possible in order for all the other polygons to obey the exact settings and limits you entered in the ClothFX panel. This can cause a character's arms to explode through his sleeves once that one polygon gets big enough for the arm to escape through the "window" created by the polygon.

-+-

To reduce sagging in clothes, gently envelope the "Polygon Size" in the Advanced Tab to a smaller value over the initial 30 frames. This way ClothFX can enjoy the calculation freedom of a higher Stretch Limit without the character's clothing sagging too much.

Sande
10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Interesting, I didn't know that one either. Thanks. :)