PDA

View Full Version : Car animation

krugerm
07-01-2003, 06:28 AM
(Pardon if this is the incorrect list...)

Does anyone have a copy of ReelMotion which they would be willing to sell? The company that made it have stopped selling it, and I could really do with a copy! (I'm working on a project involving animating ~100 cars on variable terrain.)

Alternatively, are there any other similar packages / plugins / dynamic simulators for solving this kind of problem? Andy Nicholas was kind enough to send me his vertigo plugin, which solves the wheels sticking to the ground, but that still leaves front wheel steering, car body orientation, and general vehicle animation path control.

Many thanks!
mike

jds580s
07-01-2003, 10:50 PM
I looked into ReelMotion also when I had a similar situation before me.

I'm interested in hearing about Andy Nicholas's Vertigo you mentioned, I looked at his site, but he doesn't mention it as far as I could tell.

Here is the unedited cut of what I did:
http://onthez.com/animation/hummerH2.mpg 20MB no audio
And here is the edited version (with sound that I did not do)
http://onthez.com/animation/hummerH2.wmv 7MB w/ audio

It only requires one null to be key framed and the rest is taken care of.
Tires rotate
Front tires steer
Tires independently follow the terrain
Body inherits the Y position of the average of the tires
Body inherits the pitch angle that is appropriate between the rear and front axle.

I never found an easy way to get them to lean into turns and the like, so those things are hand keyed also. And with the rough terrain that they were driving on, the body was bouncing too rigidly, so I ended up baking every 10th frame or so to smooth it out and give the shocks more absorbance.

I posted the rig a while back, but I've made changes to it since then. I could send it to you if you would like to pick it apart.

Justin

krugerm
07-02-2003, 02:28 AM
I'd be very interested in looking at your rig.
(sounds like a bad pickup line) :P

Did you use expressions / bones to get the rig to respond so completely to the terrain, or did you find some other plugin solution?

I'm seriously considering writing a mod for quake rally atm - I think I should be able to load / save DXF terrain / vehicle models, and the physics engine should be able to do the rest, but if you've found an easier way to solve - let's have it! :)

Mike

Cobalt
07-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Justin,

Your H2 race animation is inspiring. I'm going to search for the posted rig and take a good look at how you set it up.

Thanks for your contributions to the Lightwave community. It's always good to be reminded that the value of investing in Lightwave doesn't reside soley in the software package.

jds580s
07-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Here is the setup I used. Most everything should be labeled.

About 600k
http://onthez.com/www3/tutorials/animation/downloads/vehicle_setup.zip

Post or email if you have any questions.

Justin

fxnut
07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm interested in hearing about Andy Nicholas's Vertigo you mentioned, I looked at his site, but he doesn't mention it as far as I could tell.
Yep, sorry dude! Haven't got round to putting it (and some others) on my site yet. Requests by email are always honoured though.

Funnily enough, car physics is kinda my speciality. I've worked on two driving games which I did the physics engines for (although I aint gonna mention em here, cause they weren't that good! You'd be able to figure one out from looking at my website without too much trouble tho.)

I've been thinking for a while that I should do some sort of car driving plugin for Lightwave. Or maybe attempt something more like Reelmotion which is effectively what I've already done in the games I worked on anyway.

Now if only I could get some funding...
;)

Regards

Andy