PDA

View Full Version : Texture templates!

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi guys,
Can anyone explain to me how you make a template for a texture? I keep seeing texture examples and they are in a template or 'shape' that fits the surface being textured perfectly. And the artist always explains how he got the texture, but not the shape....uugghh!!! I can't figure out how to calculate the shape. Its like the texture is completely folded open.
If I model a shape, complex or not, how on earth do I figure out what the surface is unfolded? I see a lot of this in figure textures, but I am doing buildings. Is there a common way of figuring it out?

markschum
10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
The only template that I use regularly is a UV map template. You create that in lightwave by using the map tools and specifying the type of projection. The map appears to be the object folded open and flattened on the page. I have a plugin I got somewhere called UV Imaginator that copies the map to a bmp file .

There are plenty of uv mapping tutorials that show in detail the process.

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
ok Markschum, I'm following a tutorial per your suggestion.

Everything was going well until I hit a snag:

I have the polygon statistics window open, and under surface I choose my surface and hit '+'
Then I hit 'x' and 'v' and it opens the SET VALUE window. But when I hit OK, the surface collapses. The tutorial says nothing about the SET VALUE window. So I'm lost at this point. Please see the attachment. DO you have any insight on this please?

Silkrooster
10-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I think thats an old tutorial. Previously x and v were cut and paste. Now ctrl-x and ctrl-v are cut and paste.
Silk

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Wow Silkrooster, you were right! It was an old tutorial. Using lw7.0.

Thanks. But please keep an eye on this thread cos I'll probably have more questions. I'm trying. :thumbsup:

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Ok guys,
So, once I have my template in LW, in my UV texture window, how do I get that into Photoshop?
In the tutorial which is old, it says something about a Print Screen button in the upper right hand corner of my keyboard. I can't find it. Has it changed? Or is there another way? I'm on a Mac by the way.
Please see attachment!

Auger
10-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Ok guys,
So, once I have my template in LW, in my UV texture window, how do I get that into Photoshop?
In the tutorial which is old, it says something about a Print Screen button in the upper right hand corner of my keyboard. I can't find it. Has it changed? Or is there another way? I'm on a Mac by the way.
Please see attachment!

On a PC the print screen button is labeled "Prt Sc SysRq". Not sure about a Mac.

You might try UVImaginator: http://www.3dcybercorp.com/software/uvimaginator/index.html
Works well but AFAIK it doesn't support LightWave's different sub-d modes.

Jon

P.S. I was watching the credits for Toy Story (or 2) a few weeks ago, and happened to notice a Sean Hargreaves listed as a concept artist or something like that. Was that you?

Silkrooster
10-22-2007, 09:43 PM
There is a print screen button on PC keyboards. I am not sure what the key combination would be for a mac system.
What you can do since you have photoshop(assuming) is in modeler select file>export>export encapsulated postscript.
A small windows will pop up and you can specify which view you want to export. Just select texture UV. You can also specify if you want the grid or points. The grid will create a wireframe type view of the uv map which can be handy if you need to know where to paint in photoshop.
In photoshop open the eps file, create a new layer with a white background, set the opacity of the new layer low enough to see the underlaying grid. Start painting away or placing textures. When you are done increase the opacity to block the grid. Save the file as a psd, tiff, etc. Now you can load the image into lightwave.
If you do not reset the opacity to block the underlaying grid, you will see the grid on your object in lightwave.

I know some people prefer you use screen capture, but I find saving as an eps much easier. Plus it can be much higher resolution as well.
If you know you do not need the grid and you still want to use a UV map, you can bypass creating an eps file as the UV map is square. Just create a square image in photoshop place your texture and save.
Hope this helps and don't confuse you, as I know there is fair amount of info above. But play around with it, kick its tires, see what it can do and go from there.
Silk

Auger
10-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Whoops, guess I should read the previuos posts before I write one... Anyway, there's the link.

Sean, you should also check out the PLG UV plugins. They will unwrap a mesh and lay it out with very little stretching. Get them here: http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks Auger.

And yes, thats me. I did concept art (2d). Just recently got into 3d.

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow, great tips from everyone, thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

ps I hate the fact that in Photoshop you can paint on a transparent background, but then when you save it it saves to a white background. :thumbsdow

Silkrooster
10-22-2007, 10:58 PM
What format are you saving to? Some formats like jpg do not have a transparency/alpha channel. If you want the background to stay transparent then use a format like Photoshops psd.
Silk

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm saving it as a psd file.

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Yep, just tested again, saved as a psd. file, and it comes onto the desktop with a white background.

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
E v e r y st ep i s li k e . . . . . . . . E v e rest.......:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

sean hargreaves
10-22-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm slapping myself and slapping myself and slapping myself......:twak: :twak: :twak:

Silkrooster
10-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Do you get a white background when reloading the file into photoshop?
Silk

Auger
10-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks Auger.

And yes, thats me. I did concept art (2d). Just recently got into 3d.

Very cool!

Hey Sean, you might look into a set of books by Jonny Gorden called "LW Cartoon Character Creation" or something to that effect. There are two volumes. One of them has UV Mapping tutorials. Reading that was how I finally got my head around UV Mapping. Great books in general for modeling, rigging, texturing, etc.

sean hargreaves
10-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Morning guys (cough cough, L.A. fires..uuugghhh),
Silkrooster, when I open it in Photoshop it has a transparent background. But when I load it into Lightwave, the part that is transparent textures my object in white.
Example: A blue scribble on transparent BG textures as a blue scribble on white bg.

Auger, thanks for the tip on the books.

Silkrooster
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Try applying the image to the transparency channel and increase the value for the transparency channel to 100%.
Silk