PDA

View Full Version : ImageWorld image format

10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
To use an ImageProbe image as sky/illumination source it seems to need to be a full 360 all round image, so, if it is generated and used by a camera/projection pointing straight up, the 'sky' occupies only about the centre 1/4 to 1/3 of the image area - all the rest '(below the horizon' & therefor not much use) occupies a vast amount of image space - at least 2/3!
Is there any way round this ? - if I generate a mere 180 degree image (horizon to horizon) then 'image world' wraps it edges together to meet under my feet.
Any one know how to deal with this?

SplineGod
10-22-2007, 10:26 AM
You can also create a skyball object or use textured enviroment.

10-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Seems a bit odd, not being able to make & map the much lauded image probes in any usefull way as skys; - most of the lightprobe images I see on sites for sale or download are 180degrees, and therefor presumably no actual use as background/illumination in imageworld - unless there is a simple way nobody is mentioning to map those images onto a hemisphere ? - one would have thought that the general requirement for skys involved just that area visible above the horizon , and that underground skys were a bit of a rareity?
- or is there yet another strange hidden advanced camera that will create a spherical map as understood by the rest of LW , thereby allowing only 1/2 rather than 3/4 of the image to be wasted!

Lightwolf
10-23-2007, 06:25 AM
You don't have to use image world, you may just as well use LW texture and other images to project something into the backdrop.

The images that only store a hemisphere are a bit of a pain to use though, you can use them as a backdrop, but the easiest way is to map them onto a hemispherical object.

Cheers,
Mike