PDA

View Full Version : FX particle size and hypervoxels don't match?

Jockomo
10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
RE: LW8.5

According to the manual: "Particle size affects the outer boundary used for collision detection. It can also be used by volumetric
plug-ins like HyperVoxels."

Ok so there is a "particle size" in the emitter dynamics property tab, which is what the quote from the manual above is describing. In that dynamics property tab the "value" refers to nothing, it seems to just be an arbitrary number not related to meters or millimeters or anything. I'd love to know why they didn't bother to reference this to anything at all.

Then there is a "particle size" in the hypervoxel properties. Here it shows you what your number is referencing such as mm or meters etc.

Now the quote above indicates that the particle size setting can be used by volumetric plugins like hypervoxels.

HOW? The particle size in the dynamics tab only effects the distance between the particles while the particle size in hypervoxels only effects the actual size of each particle.

Is there some setting that I have missed that tells hypervoxels to base it's particle size on the setting found in the dynamics tab?

mkiii
10-22-2007, 11:13 PM
The size in the particle emitter as far as I can tell refers to the radius of the particle max effect. If you look at the particle with Show Size turned off, that will give a better idea of the actual size of the HV

A value of 1.0 means a radius of one metre afaik.

If you turn on the FX_Emitter Output size button, and the HV panels Geometry/Use Particle Scale button, the size you set in the Particle emitter will affect that used by the HV render, but the Particle size setting will not change.

I may be wrong, but when you Use Particle Scale in HV, the size you set as Particle Size there is multiplied by the Size you set in the Particle Emitter, so a size of 10cm in the HV, and a Particle Size of 2.0 in the FX Emitter will result in an HV of 20cm in size.

Confused? I am.

HowardM
12-04-2007, 09:57 AM
know this is kinda old, but...

particle size in the emitter is only used for collisions, not the HV size, which is only controlled by HV panel....

GregMalick
12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
know this is kinda old, but...

particle size in the emitter is only used for collisions, not the HV size, which is only controlled by HV panel....

Actually, mkiii is correct (for LW9.3)
Attached is a scene with the particle size being varied by frame and the HV size a fixed value. You can see the sizes grow. There is also an avi in the zip showing the render sizes increasing.

HowardM
12-05-2007, 02:54 AM
oops, sorry havent played with 9+

ill get my coat... ;)

GregMalick
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
oops, sorry havent played with 9+

ill get my coat... ;)

:D are you running right out to upgrade to 9.x ??? :D

HowardM
12-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Only if you tell me 9.x has a brand spanking new FX engine fully integrated with scripting! ;)