PDA

View Full Version : Particles and collision events...

Cageman
07-01-2003, 03:30 AM
Hi all!

Lets see... here is the thing:

I have two different groups of particles, and when group 1 collides with group 2 I want to trigger some explosions with collision detection. I have set the collision objects in group 1 to detect collision with group 2, if collision accour, the object should trigger a third emitter to make an explosion. But this doesnīt work at all. It works if I set collision to be detected with the default group (i.e all particles), but then there is no point, as the explotions would start as soon as it collides with particles in its own group.

Huu... I hope that anyone understand what my problem is. Please...help... :)

HowardM
07-01-2003, 09:06 AM
does that work? I dont think you can have a child emitter spawn if its parent particles collide with other particles, only a collision object will make an event work...but Ill have to look into that.

Cageman
07-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Well, I have a collision object that if it collides with particles from another group it should trigger an emitter (which is parented to the collision object). This works, but only if I set the collision object to be triggered by "default" group. I canīt get it to work for a specific group of particles...

HowardM
07-01-2003, 05:42 PM
oh ok, thought you said you had 2 emitters, with both sets of particles colliding...you then wanted a child to emit when those collide...which i dont think you can do. gonna have to try!

so then, are you sure you have the group selected for both collision and emitter? hit FX start?
:)

Cageman
07-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Yes. If I set the collision object to something else than "event" it works as it should. Here is an example that you could try:

Create an emitter, name it "1" or something. Name the group to "Group1". Create a second emitter, name it "Group2". Now we have two emitters and two groups of particles. Now, add a collision object, set it to "event" and make sure it should only react on "Group2" particles. Set "Group1" emitter birth rate as "Collision event" and "parent-collision". Make the collision object parent to emitter 1.

This does not work for me, mabye I have done something wrong??

Thanks for your time. =)

HowardM
07-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Ive got a better idea, make a scene and upload it.
I have no clue where your emitters are, how they shoot the particles, what kind of collision sphere or plane...etc,etc.

Cageman
07-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Ok... here we go.. :)

Look at the scene, I want "Particles01" to start the emitter when itīs parent object, a collision object, gets in contact with "Particles02" particles...

But maybe you know whats wrong... :)

HowardM
07-07-2003, 08:25 PM
hey, sorry was out for the 4th..i couldnt get the scene to work...like this guys -
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73486
but at least his works a little...
i think theres bugs.

if you change your scene to bounce, it works...but event doesnt.