PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes look at VT4 production NCAA football

vanderwielen
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
here's a video we're airing on hometown sports producing an NCAA D2 football game. it gives a look at how we use the VT4 in our mobile setup? your comments are welcome:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tbi3vSoO2h4

PIZAZZ
10-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Excellent Job!

We all should do this more often to spark a little more interest in our field. So many people just don't understand all we do in a day of production.

brians0105
10-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Very cool!

If you don't mind me asking... how do you send your video back when you broadcast live? Do you loop it back through the cable system?

Just curious!

Thanks

Brian

vanderwielen
10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
we don't do much live. when we have, it's been for-hire and a sat-truck showed up. however, we have streamed our content back to another toaster using WME and took a PIP to air surrounded by sponsor logos. most schools consider LIVE as a potential drain on their gate receipts. i suspect more and more are going to want to stream live on the internet, possible pay per view...at least that's been the discussion.

brians0105
10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Gotcha!

Well if I get around to doing a behind-the-scenes look at our high school games, I'll be sure to post it here. November 30th will be our first game using our new VT4. We used to do it with an OLD hardware switcher.

P.S. - Great work on your trailer... very impressive! I'm looking to build one for use in the Central Illinois area. Last week I bid on this old production van on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Video-Television-Production-Van-Truck-OB-Loaded_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ320168198825

It would have needed a LOT of work and was going to be my NEXT summer project.

Brian

blazer003
10-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to both make that behind the scenes video and to post it here. A very cool look at what can be done, and I really enjoyed it a lot. Thanks again!

beckytv
10-26-2007, 08:08 AM
What were you using for your replays? Great job on your production trailer....I work many network events and sometimes its not what you are using but how you are using it. If you are ever in the Louisville area please give us a shout!

Becky Malone-Wills
PA Coordinator
Insight Communications
Louisville, KY

smee-again
10-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Thats great, thanks for sharing. always good see how others "make it work"
can you tell me how you are playing the music with the xkeys? is it a ddr in background or external app?

vanderwielen
10-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Becky, our productions are shown on Insight in Northern Indiana via Indiana9, who is also over the air as WVHF. We use 7 - Replay TV showstoppers for the 7 cameras... all with a common IR receiver but outfitted with a special relay device that allows starting 1 replay deck and requeing a second for back-to-back replays from different angles. Last week we did a back-to-back-to-back using Digital Juice DVEs without coming back to live. We'are also on Channel 19 in Hamilton and Tipton County on Insight.

XKEYS: here's some cool macros we've programmed:

Macro 1 sends a stop command to DDR1, advances to the next track and plays it. Macro 2 stops DDR1. This way, We can simply hit 1 button...fire a new bummper track prior to going to black.

Macro 3 is really cool: DDR2 contains videos...commercials, play of the game, leadins, credits and so on.

first we preset DDR2 to NEXT, play DDR2 and then TAKE. this allows us to simply hit one button (we call it SLAM) to fire a video. The cool thing about this is that you don't have to CUE the DDR! It simply will plays the track you last selected.

We also use the XKEYS for sources 11-17 which are replay decks 1-7. when the replay tech says 'standby replay 2' the TD sets 12 as NEXT. With the XKEYS you could replace the RS-8, which we've had to do due to the large number of failure so this product.

If you didn't notice, we use the COMPIX CG system. There is a definite problem with the VT4 CG. After a while...not if, but when...the CG will lock up the system. With an outboard CG, the VT is solid. We also use an XKEYS stick with the COMPIX.

Our latest addition is a keywest PIP2 unit for score clock. after some issue with poor technical writting on KW's part, we implemented it flawlessly. We even used their GPI's for take and remove.

Keith Gandy
10-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Do you have any information for us concerning the CamFlex unit? Any website or link?

inquisitive
11-01-2007, 03:31 AM
Hi,
You mention WinTV, which of the ones listed here is the one you use?
I was unaware of its existance. AT the community media where I volunteer from time to time they record everything to DV tape, would be interesting to see if they can use this solution.

The solution you are using is just the software version (that runs on the laptop?)

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods_pvr.html

Thank you for taking the time to film and make available.

vanderwielen
11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
We use the Hauppauge USB WINTv product into a laptop. we record at DVD quality. the value, of course, is that if you have a server that will play MPEG2's you're literally done at the end of the game with any prodution. Camplex is www.camplex.com

Videonut
11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Again an excellent look at what can be done with a VT system. On your unmanned remote camera, you said that it would tilt-pan-zoom-focus and I assume feed your video through a CAT5. Can you give me a little more info on the unit.

vanderwielen
11-02-2007, 07:32 AM
The remotely controlled GL2 is outfitted with a www.grizzlypro.com unit.

lgg
11-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi guys,

great to see your setup, just how i'm doing it in the UK, great to see we have addressed low-budget full sports production in a vey similar way [right down to the camplex units]

One question concerns your replay devices, can you give me more info, as this is my next move.

Be great to email you direct, and discuss some more.

Paul Spensley
www.fcum.tv
www.fc-utd.co.uk
Football Club United of Manchester

vanderwielen
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Replays are handled by Panasonic Showstopper replaytv units. You can find these on EBAY, but they are older and are harder to come by. They require no phone line or subscription, which leads to their popularity in these situations you control them via the hand held IR remote control. It takes me about 2 seconds to rewind, restart and set the speed i want.

lgg
11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Best thing i can find in the UK that seems to do the same job is the Panasonic DMR-EX77EB-K.

Any thoughts?

ted
11-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Awesome, this reminds me of the 20 some years I did live sports. Everything from ESPN football to ABC bowling, yeh, bowling had to be the most booring gig EVER! :sleeping:
We usually had much larger trucks and gear, but then again, it was a he11 of a workout setting up and tearing down. I rarely do live sports now days, but it's fun.

Nice use of gear, space and technology.

Jim Capillo
11-17-2007, 02:36 AM
We use 7 - Replay TV showstoppers for the 7 cameras... all with a common IR receiver but outfitted with a special relay device that allows starting 1 replay deck and requeing a second for back-to-back replays from different angles.

Could you explain the "special relay" a bit further? Is it commercially available or something you rigged up?

Thx,

vanderwielen
11-17-2007, 01:12 PM
the relaying logic is a 4 pushbutton device. the PBs control relays. when no PB is pressed all relays pass the IR signal from the IR reciever to each of 4 IR emitters taped to the front of the Showstoppers. When any 1 PB is pressed, only that relay remains normally closed, the other 3 power open and the IR signal is sent only the desired Showstopper. So, you can essentially control one Showstopper at a time and while the others are playing back. Therefore, it's possible to get back to back to back to back replays...if you're quick and have lucky cameramen. Diode Logic was used with an external plug in 12VDC supply.