View Full Version : Image saving troubles

10-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I am using Lightwave 7.5 and now when I render an image sequence none of the file extensions work correctly. It worked yesterday. The rendered file displays a name and size in the folder, but it will not open in any software. If I use the F9 function and save from image viewer they work. I have tried the scan directory thing, but no luck. Any ideas?



10-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I recall awhile back there was an issue with images being saved with out the extention. I do not recall what version of lightwave that was though.
Best thing to do is when typing in the filename that you also type in the extention. Then you will know the files will have the correct extention.
I beleive the problem is in the config file. You could delete your config files and allow lightwave to rebuild them. This may or may not fix the problem, but you can check it off the list of things tried.
As for your sequences already saved on your drive, you can do a batch rename to add the extentions. Backup the files to another directory first, until you are use to renaming the files, unless you don't mind rerendering the sequence. :hey:
In Windows XP goto Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
In the command prompt window goto your directory where the sequence is stored. Example: file is located at My Documents\project. Type cd My Documents\project.
If the sequence is suppose to be jpg files then rename them like this Type in c:\My Documents\project>rename filename* filename*.jpg
The * character is a wildcard telling window to fine all files starting with filename and all character after it. So the rename command is finding all files named filename + any additional character and renaming it to the same filename +any additional character + .jpg.
If you happen to have any of the Adobe products that include Bridge, then you can use Bridge to do a batch rename and visually see what you are doing.
Hope this helps, if you need me to go into more detail of the rename command, just let me know.

10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I had a problem when I upgraded to 9.0. Photoshop didn't like the TGA extension Lightwave was using. I used a free file renaming utility and everything came out fine. The problem went away with 9.2.

10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the tips! I never thought of the old dos tricks. However, I am such a bonehead! After testing the scene with a short sequence, I changed the file name option from 3 digits to 4. When I did, I didn't even notice that there is an option to not include extensions (filename_000). I accidentally chose the "name_0000" rather than the "name_0000.xxx". It seems things like this are often a simple fix, but thanks once again.


10-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Glad you figured it out. Frankly I should have thought that.