PDA

View Full Version : Using Lightwave with Blender

daforum
10-21-2007, 03:39 AM
I downloaded Blender last night, installed it and all seems fine.
Exporting obj from Lightwave and importing into Blender was successful, as was exporting lwo's from Blender and opening in Lightwave.

When i came to import an lwo into Blender it said "Python Script error: check console", and all I could see were points in Blenders layout.
Why does this happen?

Has anyone else had this problem; and what other ways can Lightwave and Blender work together?

meshpig
10-21-2007, 05:12 AM
I downloaded Blender last night, installed it and all seems fine.
Exporting obj from Lightwave and importing into Blender was successful, as was exporting lwo's from Blender and opening in Lightwave.

When i came to import an lwo into Blender it said "Python Script error: check console", and all I could see were points in Blenders layout.
Why does this happen?

Has anyone else had this problem; and what other ways can Lightwave and Blender work together?

To what end though? Blender isn't as good a modelling outfit as LW so it's not really an issue.

Blender does other stuff, just not with .lwo's. So, go with the format and see what else.

:)
M

daforum
10-21-2007, 05:42 AM
To what end though? Blender isn't as good a modelling outfit as LW so it's not really an issue.

Blender does other stuff, just not with .lwo's. So, go with the format and see what else.

:)
M

Yeah, Lightwave Modeler is good; and I know Blender can do other stuff, but I had read that other LW users had managed to import lwo's successfully into Blender, and just wanted to know how to do it. (All i see are points!!?)

So, does anyone know how?

meshpig
10-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah, easy! File/import, select .lwo from the menu and then select your lwo file. The only format it won't import is .max. You probably tried to "open" it?

M

daforum
10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
I didn't try to "open" it. I did file/import, select .lwo etc (seems obvious) and got the message I originally posted "Python script Error: check console"

Any ideas?

Glendalough
10-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I didn't try to "open" it. I did file/import, select .lwo etc (seems obvious) and got the message I originally posted "Python script Error: check console"

Any ideas?

You shouldn't have any problem. LWO have always imported fine here. The only thing i can think of is maybe it is a LW9x object. Maybe try 8?? What version Blender?

daforum
10-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your assistance with this.

I exported out of Blender a .lwo, and then tried to import that file back in to Blender (Blender version 2.45) and got the message i quoted.

What does it mean by "check console"??

meshpig
10-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Console is an app. in the Applications/Utilities folder, open it and have a look. It's a backend of the OS. The error mesaage will be there and will provide some more details about the problem.

M

Glendalough
10-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Using 2.44 version here and one or two versions before this. Recently lwo objects would import/export with a 90 degree offset. But in 2.44 (2.43??) this was corrected, so things do change. There is (always) a possibility of a bug in the version you are using. The forum at Blenderartists is good and usually you can get a quick reply.

JeffrySG
10-22-2007, 07:50 AM
If you're getting an error importing a LWO into blender you might have better luck saving your LWO as an OBJ file and importing that into Blender. Then you can save out either a OBJ or LWO to go back into LW.

I think to import LWO into blender you need to have Phython installed. You can probably find more specific info on some of the Blender forums...

J

Surrealist.
10-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah I had the same problem. Saving as an .obj solved it.

jin choung
10-23-2007, 02:09 AM
re: modeling -

blender has a pretty impressive sculpting capability....

if you don't own zb or silo or anything, it's worth it to sculpt in blender - do your base mesh in lw, export, sculpt, generate a normal/displacement map... etc.

jin

Glendalough
10-23-2007, 05:15 AM
...I think to import LWO into blender you need to have Phython installed. You can probably find more specific info on some of the Blender forums...

J

This make sense as I'm on a Mac and Python is part of the OS I believe, I hear people always talking about and can't remember ever installing it, as well as using python scripts to batch export meshes.

Surrealist: Hi richard, still working away on the subpatches and consulting your work, didn't realize that suture.net was your site, often used this in the past. Great Work!

Hi jin: Yes, i really agree with you here, the Sculpt Mode in Blender is really first rate and unless you want to get really complicated, much easier than Mbox and ZB. My experience of Silo was sort of Mode-lite but wonder if it works better on Windows, it certainly has a well designed interface, was only using a beta so may explain all the crashes i was getting.

Just wondering if you have done the "generate a normal/displacement map..." that you have mentioned? And if you have, is it a big deal?

I hate maps, and since working simple, have just exported the whole sculpt object itself as not too many polys.

Surrealist.
10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
No suture.net is not my site. I put in my sig favorites because I am always referring people to it and I think it should be promoted along with Spline God and Colin Larkin. I would add more but there is a limitation. Hope you are getting something from my tut though.:)

MiniFireDragon
10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
The PC I work with is windows, and I downloaded Blender and installed it a while ago and it worked fine. Then in recent updates I downloaded it and tried it, and I kept having problems with it.

So I went to Python site and downloaded the newest version and installed and it worked fine.

In short, you may need to update it on your Mac.

MiniFireDragon
10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Forgot to add, I was using blender on 4 different PCs, only one had issues.