PDA

View Full Version : Some things never change..

pauland
10-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I've just been suggesting to someone looking at purchasing some 3D software in another forum, that they give Lightwave a go as well as Modo 3.01, which they were considering.

What did they get when looking for the trial?

"Please check back".

I wonder how many people do?

Newtek seem adept at committing marketing faux pas time and time again. I feel pretty stupid for even making the suggestion to the guy now. Who wants software you can't try out these days?

Paul

Cageman
10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Ahh... that's kind of awful... :/

They should ALWAYS have the latest gold-release avaliable. In this case, LightWave 9.3. Anyone who downloads it should recieve an option to include their mail-adress so that when a new demo-version of LW is avaliable, they can get it if they are interrested.

As you say, it is embarrasing to tell people to try out LightWave, because you can't count on the fact that NT has a demo-version avaliable....

pauland
10-20-2007, 10:45 AM
It's bad enough that it says "check back", but check back in an hour, a day, or a year?

Does it say "Enter your email address here and we'll send you a link when it's ready"? No.

At times Newtek is such a frustrating company and I think a lot of it's woes are down to poor marketing. This is pretty basic stuff.

evenflcw
10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I almost didn't post. This is not even worth discussing as nothing ever happens. Because some thing really do never change. :thumbsdow

Lewis
10-20-2007, 12:20 PM
C'mon NT this MUST be FIXED and never again happen :(.

IMI
10-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I've been waiting for the modo 301 demo for a few weeks now, at least. They have my email address, and I *do* keep checking back.... less and less frequently.
I too very recently suggested to someone about the LW demo.
Pity, it's not there, though - I would have hoped they'd have at least left the 9.0 demo up.

pauland
10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes, I've just seen the Modo message. It's beyond me why anyone would pull a demo before having an alternative ready.

gerry_g
10-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Lux pulled the demo of 201 because a particular site specializing in vending cracked software was blatantly stating download the demo from Lux and the crack/key from us and providing Lux's download URL for this purpose. I think Lux were intending to introduce a more ridged trials policy requiring the applicant to supply a valid street address, and email account details.
So if this sort of thing is a problem for Lux bet NT would have the same problems with just handing out free trial editions, and as far as I know not only is there no LW9.3 trial available right now but no Modo301 either.

Lewis
10-20-2007, 02:13 PM
gerry_g - that won't stop cracking, not even 1% better results, it's just going to complicate things for users who really want really to try demo :(. But yes they all can TRY to protect better.

IMI
10-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't know what Newtek has planned regarding any future 9.x demo, but Luxology says, simply, that they are holding off on putting the demo online because currently the customer update download bandwidth usage is too high to justify it.

Mike_RB
10-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Luxology pulled thier eval becasue of bandwidth issues regarding people who were downloading the eval just to crack it. So the bandwidth that serves thier customers with content we're being constantly hammered. I think they are looking at how to reduce this... I don't think an eval of 201 was ever posted either... They waited for 202.

cresshead
10-21-2007, 10:05 AM
having no demo availabe [agian..] is really poor...people intersted in 3d will just go off n get the demo of max2008 or mayaple or cinema4d or messiah or xsi mod tool...plenty of alternatives that MANAGE to AWAYS have a demo available for new users to try out.

just makes newtek look under-staffed and not in control of their own products.

just not good enough is it?
how hard is it to fix?....not hard!
just stick with the current demo till a new one is available then swap it over....

Cageman
10-21-2007, 10:11 AM
just stick with the current demo till a new one is available then swap it over....

NT... see what cresshead just wrote? It IS that simple, really.... !

IMI
10-21-2007, 10:13 AM
I still have the 9.0 demo on a disk somewhere. I can't remember if there was anything saying it couldn't be redistributed though. Probably there was, but after all it is just a demo. Anyone know?
Come to think of it, I believe that the 9.0 demo is on the DVD with Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave v9 book as well.

ben martin
10-21-2007, 10:29 AM
OHh! Aaaarrrrrrgggggggggggg! :cursin:

I long ago suspected about such NT careless attitudes.
Now I have no more doubts!
I wonder where Lightwave is going to end with such attitudes! :bangwall:

Oh boy!

Elmar Moelzer
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Its been offline for a while now, I would say at least two months, or longer even.
We ran into problems with it too, since many of our potential clients need it in order to evaluate VoluMedic.
Luckily it is still available from NTE.
CU
Elmar

BeeVee
10-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Although the page is not working, anyone can still get the demo, but they have to know how. :( All that page contained was instructions on how to do it. The demo is always the latest version, as you will see if you go to the My Downloads page. If people need instruction on how to get to it, we still have the trial edition page up on the NewTek Europe site (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9trial.html).

B

pauland
10-22-2007, 03:38 AM
Thanks Ben, but even you must realise just how surreal this is. Newteks main page says the demo is not available, yet really it still is, but the instructions are not.

Thank goodness for Newtek Europe then, but just what was Newtek US thinking?

The guy who is checking out 3D software has been watching Modo training videos online and checking out Silo..