PDA

View Full Version : visualization problems

aperezg
10-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi

I need put a lot of trees in this project, but for some reason I cant see the OpenGL image of many trees, I don't know Why.
I change for Texture shaded solid wireframe, is the only way that I could see they.

Could someone help me with this

Thanks

10-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I think you'r asking rather a lot of the OpenGL & video card memory if those trees have many Polys - or if they are all asking for bitmaps
-Incidentaly, have you tried 'HD instance' for populating landscapes with trees - you can just create a model with 1 point or a small poly everywhere you want a tree and get it to random insert/size your collection of trees, saves a lot of memory & loading time!

aperezg
10-23-2007, 06:49 AM
I think you'r asking rather a lot of the OpenGL & video card memory if those trees have many Polys - or if they are all asking for bitmaps
-Incidentaly, have you tried 'HD instance' for populating landscapes with trees - you can just create a model with 1 point or a small poly everywhere you want a tree and get it to random insert/size your collection of trees, saves a lot of memory & loading time!

Thanks Adrian for this advice,
I will try HD instance:thumbsup:

archijam
10-23-2007, 07:01 AM
How many polys is that? It's hard to tell, Doesn't look too high to me. I could also imagine that the alpha is giving you problems, or the detail level of the OpenGL. Are you using a clip or alpha map? Try turning down the other OpenGL settings and seeing if it responds.

You could also try Kray if you are willing to try an entirely different renderer .. it has instancing, tho it works differently to HD.

There is a demo version of HD I believe, with a limit to the instances.

j.

aperezg
10-23-2007, 10:46 AM
How many polys is that? It's hard to tell, Doesn't look too high to me. I could also imagine that the alpha is giving you problems, or the detail level of the OpenGL. Are you using a clip or alpha map? Try turning down the other OpenGL settings and seeing if it responds.

You could also try Kray if you are willing to try an entirely different renderer .. it has instancing, tho it works differently to HD.

There is a demo version of HD I believe, with a limit to the instances.

j.

The Scene has 3210 trees, in a single face each tree, with double face on, (uv map with alpha transparence) the land has 299.300 Polys, and it has a alpha transparence too.

My power Mac G5 dual core 2.0 Ghz with 5.5G in ram spend 30 minutes open this scene.
I see in the activity monitor that the Layout spend 3Gb in real ram, when Layout end open it

The 'HD instance' didnít work because is a limited version.

I suspect that is the alpha channel too.

Thanks archijam