PDA

View Full Version : Sound Driven Animation :

pumeco
10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
It was only a matter of time before I ask this :

I'm just wondering if it's possible to drive animation parameters by audio, using LightWave's native tools. Perhaps something as simple as linking the height of a cube or the brightness of a colour to the volume of a .wav file. I get the feeling it would be possible, but there's so many features in LightWave - I wouldn't know where to start looking.

Steamthrower
10-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I doubt that this would be a very easy thing to accomplish. I think that there may be an easier way though.

Is it possible to put a background image in the envelope dialogue? Because if so, you could make a visual waveform image of your audio clip in an external program and underlay it in your envelope that determines the size of your cube and "trace" it. This would never work for facial animation, but I can imagine that it could be decent if you just wanted to sync your motions to a beat.

Glendalough
10-20-2007, 10:12 AM
No problem at all with this. There is an 'audio channel' modifier. But think it only responeds to the volume not the pitch.

Qexit
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I did this some time ago using Relativity expressions to have the lights on top of a Dalek flash in time with the speech it was making. I'd have to do a bit of digging around in my archives to find out exactly how I did it though. The point being, it certainly can be done :thumbsup:

pumeco
10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks all, this is really good news :)

I couldn't find the Relativity stuff, but I finally found the Audio Modifier (god I wish they'd kill this help system and make a searchable PDF the default format). Anyway, it looks like the Audio Modifier is pretty much what I was hoping for. The Relativity sounds daunting, and the technique inigo' mentioned would take me ages to do I think.

If I wanted to base the animation on a basis other than volume, I can knock up a converter VST, and convert pitch or anything to volume really, so that's no problem. I already intend to use LightWave for rendering the interfaces of my VST's, but now I can use it for promotional material to market it as well.

Can't wait to get to that stage now; knock-up a soundtrack using the actual VST, then add a LightWave sync'd animation to it :rock: