PDA

View Full Version : VT4 - No video on PGM Out

Charles.NWP
10-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Hi All,

Having a problem with a fresh install of VT4 4.6 I get video just fine on VT-Vision in Preview mode, but my PGM Out window is black. No errors about no video signal or anything, just no video on the monitor. If I change the monitor to Preview also, I get video there just fine, so I know it's not just a busted vt-vision.. and I can see the Video preview on the DDR preview windows.

Any ideas?

Charles

Bobt
10-20-2007, 07:53 AM
If you go to the switcher what is chosen as an input to main?
Bob

Charles.NWP
10-20-2007, 11:27 AM
I have DDR1 set for both preview and main I see the video on the preview monitor, but not the main pgm out one

SBowie
10-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Make sure you don't have something in the DSK that is enabled and obscuring Program out.

Ed Wallick
10-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I guess you set the ouput on Preferences to Y/C instead of Component, although I don't think that would affect the VT-Vision - just your external monitor.

Ed

Charles.NWP
10-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I haven't tried an external monitor yet, because the VT-Vision isn't showing anything.

No DSKs in place either. Do the cables need to be attached to the card(s) for the picture to show in the VT-Vision screen?

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Hrm. Not looking like anyone has any idea... Could definately use the help, I have a show I need to use this in later this week

SBowie
10-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Tried resetting the configs and a cold boot?

PIZAZZ
10-21-2007, 09:20 AM
after doing what steve suggested.... do a core update. Sometimes that can work wonders when all else fails.

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Configs reset, Cold Booted, Rebuilt my desktop to how it's supposed to be.. no luck

Doing a core update now

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Core update didn't fix it either :-/

This is a fresh install too, which makes no sense. It should be pushing something out of the main bus, no?

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 11:18 AM
If anyone wants to take a look at it remotely, I could possibly put logmein or something on it

SBowie
10-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Another thing to check - though remote: just for fun, look at the Hardware Acceleration setting in your display prefs (under Troublesooting.)

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Hardware Acceleration set to full.. I'm assuming that's what it's supposed to be

SBowie
10-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Yep - seemed unlikely, but it can be problematic sometimes when dealing with video display.

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Have any other ideas? I can't think of any reason why this won't work...

SBowie
10-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm running low - the only thing that occurs to me at the moment is shutting down, opening the box up and cleaning the card edge contacts, replacing it, and trying again. I don't see any reason to think this would help, and it requires modest expertise and confidence, but ....

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Lucky for me I'm an IT Sys Admin. :)

Unfortunatly I tried that as well, with no luck.

I really think it's the software moreso than the card, because I am getting video on Preview, just not on Pgm out/Main

Cineman
10-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Well Charles,

Sure seems to me that you likely have a common problem that most end users have at some point. Saw your post in the wee hours of today (LSU - Auburn game ran too late.), having to get up at five to do Church. Sundays are my busiest work day. The days work is over and see no answer yet. Sure thought you would have. Perhaps it is just those in sales aren't familiar with common problems.

I haven't tried an external monitor yet, because the VT-Vision isn't showing anything.
This was there as well. Checking this would have given me a strong clue, as to if I am right. It seems that by now you have done much more time consuming efforts than this. If what I suppose, you should see Program Out, just fine on a video monitor. Could save you some time to just look at that first.

Here is what I believe you have. You have had a failure of the Device Driver for your graphics card. Here is my recommended fix: Since it is a good time, and something you should do from time to time anyway; go to the web site for your cards mfg and download their latest driver for your card. Install that on your VT computer.

Be sure and uninstall the old driver first. Else you will not get rid of what caused the problem. Then install the new driver. You should be fixed.

Nes Gurley

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Downloading the newest drivers now. Will let you know ^_^

Charles.NWP
10-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Same problem still :-/

Cineman
10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Sorry about that. First time I have not fixed the problem you describe, this way. The only other thing, reference the graphics card, that I have sometimes had success with is reseating the graphics card. The other has worked every time I have tried, or suggested it.

Nes Gurley

SBowie
10-21-2007, 08:07 PM
The fact that the Preview works on a VT-Vision but Program doesn't is puzzling.

Cineman
10-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Have seen it happen both ways, Steve. Have had more luck shutting down and pulling power from the computer, and getting it back when there was still video on Preview.

Might as well try that as well, Charles. Ctrl + v +t on way out. Kill Winrtme on way back in. Answering no to Reset Config should be all right.

Nes Gurley

SBowie
10-22-2007, 05:19 AM
True, but a cold boot and reset have been tried previously, so still hunting ...

Ivan
10-22-2007, 05:40 AM
I have DDR1 set for both preview and main I see the video on the preview monitor, but not the main pgm out one

Is it possible you aren't looking at DDR1? You can drag the DDR label to the switcher to ensure that you have control set for the DDR that is open.

Ivan

Charles.NWP
10-22-2007, 08:34 AM
It doesn't matter whether I look at a DDR or not, I get no video on pgm out.. Even using the Scope function, or the DB Generator

Cineman
10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Steve,

I can duplicate his problem, and, in fact, just did. I am, in fact, not surprised when it happens. I just fix it and move on. (No; I can't identify why it happens, or necessarily duplicate it on call. Guess that would make it too easy.) (In fact, I have tried to get to that state several times, while replying to this thread without success until this morning.)

Here are the simple steps I used to quickly fix it, just now. I shutdown VT[4], and killed Winrtme. Restarted VT, and all was well again.

I guess, "Kill Winrtme" is a euphemism for shutting down Winrtme. I use the "winrtme.exe" thumbnail to do this. It is in the VT4, Drivers directory. (I keep a shortcut to it on my desktop right next to my VT[4] Start Icon, as I find it the miracle cure for a host of problems.)

Nes Gurley

SBowie
10-22-2007, 09:03 AM
There are a few ways to reset the device driver, which is what you are doing. Another method is to use the windows Start menu item VT[4]>Utilties>Reset WinRTME.

A lot of people working in live production make a convenient "Reset" desktop shortcut for that function (a lot faster than a reboot) - as you mentioned.

Charles.NWP
10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Will try this next. Thanks for all the help guys, it's really appreciated!

Charles.NWP
10-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I tried that, and now when I start VT4, winrtme doesn't start up, and I get an error saying that VT4 wasn't able to communicate with the drivers. I'm going to try reboot it to get it back online... Maybe if I start WinRTME by itself it'll work

SBowie
10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
If the driver fails to launch because the device is not recognized on boot, it supports the notion of oxidized edge connections. I thought we eliminated that earlier?

Charles.NWP
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
We did. I cleaned the contacts with Alcohol myself, and made sure they were dry

Charles.NWP
10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Trying to start winrtme gives me the error "WinRTME wasn't able to start safely. Make sure all instances of VT4 are closed and try again"

SBowie
10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
I guess it goes without saying that you could 'kill' it first, to make sure it's not running, then try again. Apart from that, it's starting to sound like Tech Support's help may be required.

Charles.NWP
10-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Okey.. I'll try calling them on my lunch break today

Cineman
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Trying to start winrtme gives me the error "WinRTME wasn't able to start safely. Make sure all instances of VT4 are closed and try again"
Wait Charles. You shouldn't be trying to start winrtme, only to shut it down. That is why, along with the time it takes that way, I use the icon and not use the windows Start menu method. The icon simply ignores any effort to try and stop winrtme if it is already stopped.

I hope that you get some good help and get fixed by Tech Spt. I do know that I was not successful in getting this accepted as a bug by NewTek because I was never able to state a way for them to always replicate it. That is a NewTek requirement for Bugs Reports. I hope that you get it fixed and will let us know what it was.

If you don't get results, let us know that too. I believe that I can give you the why and how you got the above message. If they don't do it, maybe that will get you past the problem.

Nes Gurley

digefxgrp
10-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I had the same exact problem(s) last week when I tried upgrading my VT box to a quad-core. No program out..on neither an external monitor or ToasterVision. Preview worked ...real glitchy video though.
I never had any of those issues with my original single-P4 set-up. After f-ing around with it for about a week, I put the P4 guts back in and everything once again all works as it should.

With me it ended up being system hardware issues somehow conflicting with the VT.

SBowie
10-23-2007, 06:00 AM
Interesting. You know, as [4] has been around so long, I took it for granted that this was new behavior from a system that it had been running correctly on previously. But checking back right to the first post, I find "Having a problem with a fresh install of VT4 4.6 ..."

Has [4] ever run properly on this system, or is this brand new hardware. If the latter, what graphics card.