PDA

View Full Version : SEX and MCs in LightWave3D! ;)

Tesselator
10-19-2007, 04:39 AM
MC stands for Multiple Camera scenes and "sex" is just in the title to get your attention. :D

How many people use multiple cameras in a single scene and what percentage of your scenes from total, use multiple cameras?

Please take the poll - Thanks LW'ers!

DogBoy
10-19-2007, 04:48 AM
What poll?

As for your question, I often use multiple cameras while filming sex in LW3D, but as I don't as a rule film sex in LW3D, I don't use multiple cameras too often.

Does that make sense?

*Edit* OK, serious answer. I use multiple cameras about 25% of the time, but that is going up now I'm doing more animation.

archijam
10-19-2007, 04:52 AM
If I want several views rendered I will use the one keyframed camera so I can set them running overnight.

Usually use several cameras to "save" previous versions, design flythroughs, or just nice views of the scene.

Percentage? Recent projects not so often, overal 20%.

j.

Tesselator
10-19-2007, 04:52 AM
What poll?

As for your question, I often use multiple cameras while filming sex in LW3D, but as I don't as a rule film sex in LW3D, I don't use multiple cameras too often.

Does that make sense?

*Edit* OK, serious answer. I use multiple cameras about 25% of the time, but that is going up now I'm doing more animation.

Hehehe, click the option bro.. :)

sammael
10-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Yep I would say around 50% I usualy have a few from diferent angles when im lighting and texturing a model. Also in object heavy scenes I find its better to have 2 or more set up to save moving the camera around too much.

DogBoy
10-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Hehehe, click the option bro.. :)

Dude, it wasn't there when I posted. Honest, guv!

sammael
10-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Dude, it wasn't there when I posted. Honest, guv!

I can testify to that, I was going to point it out as well but I thought I would wait a bit first in case it miraculously appeared :angel:

Tesselator
10-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Yeah, the post happens in two parts and it publishes the 1st part (message body) while you fill in the the poll questions.

Captain Obvious
10-19-2007, 05:53 AM
I normally try to avoid having multiple cameras that will actually be used for final rendering, but I often keep several around just to move them around and look at stuff from different angles and stuff.

Lightwolf
10-19-2007, 07:05 AM
My last two projects were all multi-camera. To check the scene and also to rough out the board.
A lot of stuff we do involves fairly long, continuous animations (i.e. 2-4 minutes), broken up by using various camera angles.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any single camera projects, even for really simple stuff I use more than one.

Cheers,
Mike

pumeco
10-19-2007, 08:18 AM
I'll admit I'm in this thread just because of the 'SEX' part - and I'll keep checking back - just in case :D

parm
10-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I use multiple cameras in scenes all the time.

why do you ask?

meathead
10-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Mulitple camera angles are a great way to "upsell" your animations. I recently did 4 different angles of the same scene, which to an ignorant client looks like a lot more work. It allowed for my client to see the details of the case too.

Your developed skills after years of learning programs like LW, are one area to make up for lost $$$ on the back end.

Matt
10-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't get much sex because I'm always using LightWave!

;)

Tesselator
10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I use multiple cameras in scenes all the time.

why do you ask?

Just a conversation I was involved in. You know... we all want to say what
our expiriences are and apply them with the assumption that this is probably
everyone elses expirience as well. A real sample here (even if tainted by
the fact that this group is also on-line) is better than blind statements.

DiedonD
10-20-2007, 04:13 AM
What poll?

.... I use multiple cameras about 25% of the time, but that is going up now I'm doing more animation.

Heya Dan, you dont reply to PM's now do you. So I better ask you here.

Hows the movie going on?! How much percent finished, render not included?

Im 40%, I have a good feeling about it too :)

Cheers
Diedon

bobakabob
10-20-2007, 08:05 AM
I tend to use multiple camera setups.

This may be a bit OT but It would be nice to have an XSI style trackball camera option (as in the Modeler perspective view)

bobakabob
10-20-2007, 08:07 AM
PS I wonder if Newtek have something up their sleeve? :)

Scazzino
10-20-2007, 08:20 AM
I always use multiple cameras. Even on a simple scene I'll have one final render camera and at least one closeup camera that I move around while working to get a closer look at different areas. I also typically use different cameras for different resoultions and would love to use different cameras for even more, such as for different types of renders like proof renders vs. final renders where each camera could have a completely separate set of render settings beyond what they can do now...

:hey:

Tesselator
10-20-2007, 08:38 AM
[I] would love to use different cameras for even more, such as for different types of renders like proof renders vs. final renders where each camera could have a completely separate set of render settings beyond what they can do now...

:hey:

Now that's a good idea! If each camera could have it's own GI and Exposure
or even tie in LOD proxies on a per camera basis I would be questioning
the sanity of NOT using MCs most or all of the time.

MAN! That would ROCK!

pumeco
10-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Speaking of multiple cameras, is it possible to keep the result of each render open simultaneously? I'm still getting into the Modeler really, but when I do occasionally switch to Layout I keep wishing that the finished render window would stay open when I do a second and third render etc.

I keep meaning to ask if there's a setting that will keep the windows open until I decide to close them. It's just really frustrating when I'm unable to keep the previous render open to compare it to the next - side by side.

Lightwolf
10-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I keep meaning to ask if there's a setting that will keep the windows open until I decide to close them. It's just really frustrating when I'm unable to keep the previous render open to compare it to the next - side by side.
Not the render window, but the image viewer can store multiple images. Check your render globals, "Render Display" should be set to "Image Viewer" (with or without FP).

Cheers
Mike

jin choung
10-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Now that's a good idea! If each camera could have it's own GI and Exposure
or even tie in LOD proxies on a per camera basis I would be questioning
the sanity of NOT using MCs most or all of the time.

MAN! That would ROCK!

yeah, i always thought there was a more or less arbitrary separation between what is in the render menu and what is in the camera properties menu... maya tends to have almost everything in the render globals panel but yah, it might make more sense to instead have everything embedded in camera properties.... especially if each camera can have a wildly different render profile because of it.

jin

archijam
10-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Or multiple cameras to render each pass and save the settings ala Jeremy's fine PassPort work?

j.

Digital Hermit
10-20-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't get much sex because I'm always using LightWave!

;)

LightWave is a harsh mistress indeed! She does not like it when I see other women...

and, for that matter, neither does my wife -heh. :D

pumeco
10-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Not the render window, but the image viewer can store multiple images. Check your render globals, "Render Display" should be set to "Image Viewer" (with or without FP).

Cheers
MikeThanks, Lightwolf.

That's how I have it as default but it still replaces each render with the latest one. I have to switch between the renders to view one at a time, but I was hoping I'd be able to keep more than one open at the same time. I know what you mean though, it's better than nothing I suppose.

Tesselator
10-21-2007, 04:02 PM
You kinda can if you use the RenderToImage option and add Visor to a
viewport. Adjusting the flip/rotation slider will put two in view Last + Previous.

Lightwolf
10-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks, Lightwolf.

That's how I have it as default but it still replaces each render with the latest one. I have to switch between the renders to view one at a time, but I was hoping I'd be able to keep more than one open at the same time. I know what you mean though, it's better than nothing I suppose.
You can use page-up/-down to flip through them, and if you press "p" you get some options that allow you to split the display between two images (amongst other things).

The only major downside is the fact that there is no pixel aspect support, but that's another matter.

Cheers,
Mike

pumeco
10-22-2007, 04:02 AM
@Tesselator
Cheers, I'll have to take a look at Visor. I've seen it on a NewTek demo, but never tried it yet.

@Lightwolf
Ah right, the split option sounds good. Off to have a play with it, cheers!

Stooch
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
when making sex videos it helps to have several cameras. one with an endoscope for penetration shots a few steadycams for dynamics shots. i try not to use too many cameras in lw though since they like to get corrupt and sometimes cause render farm errors where the wrong camera gets rendered and stuff like that.

Dionysios
10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
You know, I've been looking to get into using multiple cameras. I'm doing a longer animation and would like to switch between cameras, but I can't seem to find any info or tutorials on it. There's a line in DA's Inside lightwave 9 that goses something like "For a while now you've been able to have multiple cameras, so I'm sure you've mastered that aspect already." Doesn't help if 9.0 was your first time. Anybody know where I can get a little info?

Lightwolf
10-26-2007, 05:38 PM
You know, I've been looking to get into using multiple cameras. I'm doing a longer animation and would like to switch between cameras, but I can't seem to find any info or tutorials on it.
There is a master plugin called "Camera Switcher" that allows you to change the camera while (for example) playing back the animation or scrubbing.

Last time I checked it still had issues with network rendering though, so I split the scenes up per Camera (network rendering uses the camera that was selected when the scene was saved to render).

Cheers,
Mike

kopperdrake
10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm a multiple camera kinda guy and never had any complaints ;)

I tend to have a master scene for my arch viz work and have a camera for each shot - then optimise individual scenes from that for each camera.

faulknermano
10-31-2007, 12:25 AM
i use multiple cameras probably 5% of the time. but when i need to it's important to have a way to quickly break them down.

Verlon
10-31-2007, 01:41 AM
I might MOVE the camera like there is no tomorrow, but generally use one at a time.

jeremyhardin
10-31-2007, 04:55 AM
I almost never use multiple cameras. Only when the odd need arises.

gerry_g
10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
I can't believe there is almost parity between the almost nevers and almost always, I always without fail have multiple cameras in a scene, static or animated. Recently I even broke the max limit, but still each to their own.

Stooch
10-31-2007, 11:37 PM
hmm. weird. for me a camera = rendered shot. so whats the point of having all the cameras in one scene? the only reason i can think of is a lack of referencing inherent to LW. but even then it just clutters up the layout and causes renderfarm issues.

oh yeah sometimes ill duplicate the main camera and kill its frames. then use the duplicated static camera to test HV settings in viper. (since viper doesnt match the camera aspect ratio - and needs to desperately).

chernobylpug
11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Multiple cameras in every scene for two reasons: 1. Many animators don't understand the fundamentals of filmmaking but spending time considering the flow of a scene (including proximity) improves all aspects of the imagery.
2. But more importantly moving the camera around saves animating time. The difference between moving a forearm into frame or out takes way less time then animating an entire figure. So it takes less time and improves the overall storytelling. Close-ups can accentuate points in the plot that the best acting or animating fail to do alone. Camera position is an important element of filmmaking that animators should pay attention to. For the sake of their art (or craft however you view it):)