PDA

View Full Version : Loss of most of my scene files

legomanww
06-30-2003, 03:50 PM
All of my scene files that were in directories inside my scenes folder have been deleted. lwtool3.dll was crashing a lot before, and I reinstalled 7.5c, and now I've noticed that my scene files are gone.

Just a warning, make backups, I wish I had now.

MarkJTaylor
07-01-2003, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear that; I've been down that road before; and it's never fun. Thanks for the word of warning and the reminder; I'm off to backup =P

uberslayer™
07-01-2003, 05:06 PM
I had that happen six weeks into an elective piece. Nearly threw in the towel:( :mad: but save and back up often is the key

Macet01
07-01-2003, 08:14 PM
When I installed LW 7.5c the same thinig happened to me. I immediately went to Download.com (http://www.download.com) and downloaded r-undelete. The files were a little hard to find in the recoverable file listing but they were there. I was able to then recover the files.......after about 20 minutes of pure unadulterated hair pulling panic. If it hasn't been too long since this has happened you have a good chance at recovering the files that you lost.

Hope this helps

gjjackson
07-02-2003, 09:02 AM
You may also want to check the lwHub directory. Files are copied there and not deleted. I doubt if the install program would delete those files.

legomanww
07-02-2003, 10:52 PM
I looked in the lwhub temp directory after they were deleted, but it only saves object files, and I have all those. It's way too long to get the files back now, I don't know how long they were gone before I noticed that they were gone, so I might have overwritten them a few times before I noticed, and I downloaded one restore program, and it couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know why it happens? I noticed that either before of after, it was at about the same time, I couldn't open up any pictures except targas. And it didn't load the i/o plugins correctly either.

07-03-2003, 07:11 AM
I may be old and jaded, but the very idea of taking up an application's install default sugestion of keeping my data inside the application's install directory makes me laugh my socks off.
Software is Software and Data is Data and never the twain should intermingle I.M.H.O.
If the software goes ape, you re-install it, preferable to the latest version, and it's usually best to completely delete/uninstall the old version first. So you don't want your data in there !
Backup your data, or put it on a raid, but to do that you need to be organised about it. Never mind 'My documents' (a microsoft concept about as intellegent as 'my little pony' ) Have a directory, or preferably a drive, called something really outrageous like 'DATA' and back it up.
Because of media/pocket restrictions it is often usefull to have a 3rd place where you put your rendering - its probably too 'expensive' to be constantly backing up something which you can re-create from the sceen files.

lone
07-04-2003, 11:05 AM
CD-RW DRIVE $50.00
CD-RW DISCS $10.00
MULTIPLE REDUNDANT BACKUPS PRICELESS