PDA

View Full Version : Changing surface colors during animation

Igeeky1
10-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Hello,

I'm a newbie and thus probably have a newbie question here.

I have an object with surfaces defined. As the animation goes I want the surface color (image map whatever) to change. So I set my color in surface editor and create a keyframe at 0. Move to 30 change and create keyframe.

Well obviously this ain't the way it is to be done. :D The object at frame 0 also takes on the new color from 30.

So...how am I to accomplish this? There has got to be an easier way than importing new objects for each color .... yes?

BeeVee
10-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Envelopes are what you need to look at in the Surface Editor. The buttons marked E (and to remove one you don't want, hold down the shift key and click it again).

B

Igeeky1
10-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ben !

<scurry> off to look up how to use envelopes</scurry>

Igeeky1
10-22-2007, 07:41 AM
OK, so I use the E to create keys with new colors, adjust curve types etc to get what I want. do a sample rendering looks good.

Save scene.

Open today and ....

All gone. The Envelope changes do not save as part of a scene? Is there something additional I needed to do?

BeeVee
10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Nope the envelopes you were changing were object surface properties and thus needed to be saved with the object, sorry about that.

B

Igeeky1
10-23-2007, 09:26 AM
No problem Ben, I needed the practice redoing anyways, helps put stuff in my head better. I guess saving time related data with an object seemed odd to me I guess.

So...changing the color with the envelope worked great, do you use it if you wish to change the texture image over time as well?

Andyjaggy
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes LW is different then most apps. Objects and Scenes are two completely different things.

Surrealist.
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
It is a good idea to save all objects and the scene before you quit so you never have to worry about losing anything.

Andyjaggy
10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Someone Somewhere has a little plugin for saving both at the same time.......................

Maxx
10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
No problem Ben, I needed the practice redoing anyways, helps put stuff in my head better. I guess saving time related data with an object seemed odd to me I guess.

So...changing the color with the envelope worked great, do you use it if you wish to change the texture image over time as well?
If you're using the layered system, you can load each image into a separate color channel layer and then envelope the opacity of each layer. Or, you can simply compile the images into a clip and then use the resultant movie file as a texture. There's a way to do this via Nodal as well, but honestly I can't come up with the steps right now. Maybe a gradient with animated keys? Sorry - I'm a bit brain fried. I'm sure there are other - probably easier - ways that others will chime in.

VermilionCat
01-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Hi.
I wanna change facial expression by changing textures.
Is there any ways to do this? I mean, you can do this by changing layer opacity but this changes object itself and I don't want that. I want to control it in Layout like using nulls. Possible??

tyrot
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
dear nodal people

is there a way to produce random colors with nodes for color channel? lets say in 100 frames it is gonna be red, in 200 frames blue etc...

Can it be accomplish without using envelopes?

--and additional question : is there a way to make fake caustics for an indoor pool walls? ...with nodes of course...

thanks in advance

Best