PDA

View Full Version : Renders keep shutting down???

dugg
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I have an opportunity to play a short I have been working on this Friday but the renders keep kicking out. I went camping for 3 days to let the machine render and came home expected several thousand frames but it stopped at about 400 and shut down the program. I reseated and again it shut down after a few hundred. Now it is shutting LW down about every hundered frames or less.

I have lost any hope of my deadline but would like to know why this is happening. I am using 9.3 to take advantage of the perspective camera and the new handling of Adaptive Sampling. I am also using the 64 bit version. Any thoughts on how to get LW to be more stable.

4dartist
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm no expert by far, but having used LW for about 6 years, if that was happening to me (assuming i know nothing other than what you just posted) I would guess there is something that is taking too much RAM and it peeks or hit's the roof after 100 or so frames. A simple test may be to turn off a certain element that is heavy, intensive settings or reduce the res. Then if it completes without a hitch that could point to the fact your running out of ram.

When that happens to me LW can sometimes just 'poof'.

Other options that I'm sure you've considered would be hardware related. Overheating videocard, poor ventilation in computer/room.

Just some ideas. Someone may have more solid info for ya.

GL!

Oh, another thing i do when sometimes LW acts weird when i KNOW it should be doing it w/out a problem, is open a new scene and import EVERYTHING from the old scene into it. This can get rid of some weirdness that may show up on scenes that have been worked on tons. Just remember it resets your render globals and some settings, so you'll have to re-test render.

dugg
10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks 4D... I hadn't thought about the hardware. I just upgraded to 4 gigs and the room is quite cool. I will check it out further.

I guess doing as save-as is not the same as what you are talking about. There is so much animated effects that it would be impossible to recreate the scene from scratch. It is a 12,000 frame continuously changing piece.

I haven't had this trouble up until now though.

Dugg

iconoclasty
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Kind of a longshot but you might want to try binning your configs. The only time I've had crashing during a render it was because of a corrupted config. Of course, that was crashing after the first frame, I haven't seen it after a few hundred.

dugg
10-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I have blown out my cpu with compressed air and turned the heat off in the little studio in the corner of my garden (there is talk of snowflakes today so its cool) So far it has had about an 800 frame run without a crash. I should go out and check to see if it is still going.

I also hadn't thought of configs. I was thinking I might start a new file and import lights and objects progressively and see if I could track down the source.