PDA

View Full Version : Content Manager anyone ??

ingo
10-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi all, i need some help to understand how the content manager works on the Mac, or how it should work.

I have no problem to let ConMan create the objects and images folder and ConMan seams to copy all projectfiles into that folders, but than the problems start. It seems that ConMan doesn't change the objects and scene files, so whenever i open that scene again LW can't find anything and asks for every objects and images files.

So whats going wrong here ??

Scazzino
10-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Sounds like you're content directory (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#contentDir) is not set correctly.

If you start with a properly set up self-contained content directory and then use the content manager to export the content to a new content directory, LW should be able to find everything in the new content directory as long as it is properly set in LW.

Hit 'o' and then check that the content directory in LW is set to the same directory that you exported your content to. Then inside that directory all your objects should be in an "objects" directory and all your images should be in an "images" directory.

ingo
10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help. Hmm, i thought the content directory was a thing of the past ( i am on a Mac ;) ); my content directory is set to my harddisc, no specific folder. Does that mean that i need a different content directory for each project ?

My hierarchie is "harddisc name/3d/projects/project name/lightwave", in that folder are all my project objects and scene files.
My textures are mainly in "harddisc name/3d/textures/subfolders" and my other non projectspecific objects are in "harddisc name/3d/modells/subfolders".

So how do i set my content directory so that ConMan works ?

Scazzino
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
The content directory must be used correctly if you don't want to have to constantly have LW ask "where is xyz?", even on the Mac.

Make your project directory look like the one outlined here (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#contentDir) then using the content manager should work better...

toby
10-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I think the content manager resets you content directiory by where you export the scene to, and saves the new scene with that directory too.

Also keep in mind that if you use your harddrive as the content directory, then try to move a project to another machine, *everything* will break in the same way.

ingo
10-19-2007, 02:33 AM
So far i only get it to work when i use a different content directory for each project, but this slows down the workflow to much. Maybe there is a 3rd party solution for it.

And i had no problems in the past to move the files from one Mac to another. I only changed the harddrive name with a text editor. But i rarely use LW on both Macs.

Scazzino
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
You may also organize a single Content Directory to share for multiple projects as follows (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#SharedContentDirectory)...

:beerchug:

ingo
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks, i have already seen this before but i have more files in a project folder so it wont work. And i wanted to save every project on its own.

Scazzino
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks, i have already seen this before but i have more files in a project folder so it wont work. And i wanted to save every project on its own.

Already seen what before? I just added that section about a shared Content Dir for multiple projects this morning... ;)

Scazzino
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
And i wanted to save every project on its own.

Then you'll need to use separate content directories for each if you wish to use the Content Directory correctly and have your projects be portable.

Otherwise all links to all images, objects, etc. will be stored in the scene/object files as full hard-coded paths to those files as they exist on your machine at the moment they are added. That means if you change the location of the files, or the name of any folder anywhere along the path, you'll have to relink all your assets when a scene is reloaded...

That's just how LW works... :)

ingo
10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Already seen what before? I just added that section about a shared Content Dir for multiple projects this morning... ;)

Well, not on your site. But your tutorial gave me the hint to search for Screamernet tutorials. The sad thing is i can change the scene file in a text editor, but not the object file, otherwise i would do it that way; since i wanted to use ConMan only for backups.