PDA

View Full Version : Select by rectangle

robk
10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Am I brain dead or is there no rectangular select box for picking points in Lightwave?
Tried the volume command but all it does is draw a pretty rectangle on screen but doesn't select anything.
Don't tell me lightwave doesn't have the most commom selection tool known to just about every CAD-3d program on earth?

evolross
10-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't know about a box select, but if you right-click (PC) and drag you'll get a Lasso selector. I assume you're talking about modeling in Modeler. I've found the Lasso to be so much easier and successful at selecting what I want than the box selector in Maya.

I found it annoying in Maya how you have to rotate your model in order to get what you want to select to fit in a "box" selector, where in Lightwave you can just drag around in any shape and it will grab what's within the Lasso. Come to think of it, Maya has a Lasso but it wasn't as easy to just right-click like in Lightwave.

:I_Love_Ne

Surrealist.
10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Tried the volume command but all it does is draw a pretty rectangle on screen but doesn't select anything.

Right. No polys or points are selected. But this volume is your selection and any operation is restricted to within this area. If you pull it out in an Ortho view your selection goes to infinity with in the box on that axis. If you pull it out in a perspective view you get a 3D box to define. It also works with a right click drag to create a lasso volume. The lasso is infinity based on which view you select it in.

BeeVee
10-17-2007, 02:23 AM
And you need the Statistics panel (w) open to tell Modeler what to select...

B

colkai
10-17-2007, 02:38 AM
As Ben says, use volume to draw, then uses stats to say if you want the points / polys that are inside / outside the selected volume.
Then when you switch to either poly or point mode, your selection is...well...err...selected. :)

Surrealist.
10-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Good one guys. That's a nice feature I never new about. I never use this but here is extra information after a bit of experimentation:

You don't need to do those extra steps unless you actually need to see what is being selected - or you need to do an operation that is point or poly specific such as ExtenderPlus which requires an actual selection. It defaults to points inside or the polys the those points make up. In the case that the operation only works on the polys - such as surfacing - it will only operate on the points that fully enclose a poly and discard the other points in the selection. In the case of vertex operations such as weight mapping it will perform the operation on all the points within the box by default with no other steps.

To use this tool in "invisable" mode and avoid extra steps you just have to know what tools do what and how.

Surrealist.
10-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh, and also another thing I forgot - came back to me from reading the manual so long ago - you can toggle the volume to Exclude or Include by taping the button or using the shortcut ctrl j. So see what mode you are in look at the selection numeric display at the bottom of the left of the layout screen.

However, as of 9.3 on my machine this makes no difference and seems always set to Include so it is apparently broken. Anyone care to report on this?

p. 395-6 LightWave 9 - Modeler:

NOTE: Polygons/points selected in this manner do not become highlighted.

To use Volume Selection:
Step 1: Click the View > Selection: Volume button.
Step 2: The initial state of the Volume Select is usually Exclude. This means that polygons touching the bounding box are excluded. Clicking the Volume button again will toggle to the Include state where polygons touching the bounding box are included in the selection. You can also
judge the state by looking at the small text field right above the Points button.

robk
10-17-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't know about a box select, but if you right-click (PC) and drag you'll get a Lasso selector.

Yes I use the lasso selector but when I had to pick the top points of a window frame that curved all over the place and was about 300 feet long there is a lot of panning and Shift selecting.

And you need the Statistics panel (w) open to tell Modeler what to select...

We tried that and it would not select points inside, outside or any of the other selection in the statistics panel. Also seems like another extra step instead of just selecting points with a rectangle. Maybe I have been brainwashed by using Autocad for so many years.

As Ben says, use volume to draw, then uses stats to say if you want the points / polys that are inside / outside the selected volume.
Then when you switch to either poly or point mode, your selection is...well...err...selected.

We probably didn't go to point mode after, it must have been our problem
Still seems like a lot of extra clicks instead of click and drag.

In a way some of Lightwaves tools don't seem to be to cohesive. I mean for example if you load objects from another scene in layout you can't use shift Click to select a group of objects, you have to select every object individually which is a pain in the but when you try to import a ton of objects. Seems to me all the dialog boxes ahould work the same. maybe its time to breakdown and use standard windows dialog boxes. (cowering in the corner now to avoid the flaming arrows)

Thanks for thr replys

Surrealist.
10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Just read my posts. You don't have to do anything else after you drag out the square.

Another handy tool is the Snap Drag tool. If you set it to Connected Points you can drag separate objects around in the same layer by snagging one of it's points.

spfldnet
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I would like to clarify the question. On the tutorial videos the selection tool is not a lasso tool, it is a rectangular selection tool. How to you switch from lasso to rectangular? I'm not crazy, I'm sure someone here must know a keyboard shortcut.

I'm breaking up a model into seperate layers and I think it would be faster to have a rectangular selection tool instead of navigating my cursor around objects like walking through a mine field.

spfldnet
07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I went to Volume select, opened the status window (w), selected some polygons, then opened the statistics window. CRASH!