PDA

View Full Version : 3DS import

sbloomberg
10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Hello all.

How well do .3ds models import? Do they come in clean or are they a mess of polygons. I know it depends on the model. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks,
-Steve

wavk
10-17-2007, 02:06 AM
best is to use external im/exporter ala accutrans.

mlon

3dworks
10-17-2007, 04:47 AM
Hello all.

How well do .3ds models import? Do they come in clean or are they a mess of polygons. I know it depends on the model. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks,
-Steve

until NT will update/ fix the importer most models in my experience come in just messed. problem is with hierarchical models (and most complex models are...), very simple models import fine, though. btw, modo has similiar problems here.

if you own cinema 10.x or the latest formz (the latter writes LWO), you can import them well.

another external tool which seems to be always updated is the 'classic' okino polytrans - but it is not running on macs (just in case).

good luck

markus

wavk
10-17-2007, 06:06 AM
ooh and blender is excellent for an im/exporter :)

mlon

sbloomberg
10-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will have to model after all. Thought I could save some time on an upcoming project. On the bright side, this can only help improve my modeling skills.

-Steve

bjornkn
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I export 3ds from SketchUp and imports into LW all the time, and never have any problems. I typically export selection-only from SU, to import them into a single LWO, and sometimes split them into layers as well. The points need to be merged in LW.
For more complex hierarchical imports, and to be able to import cameras etc I use NuGraf/PolyTrans or Deep Exploration, or 3D Photo Browser (only lwo)
But for most objects direct import into Modeler works just fine.
I guess it all depends on where the 3ds files were generated?