PDA

View Full Version : morphMixer and deform/MorphTarget heart



mattyb
10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
I have an animation that I'm currently working on that is ALMOST cooperating.

Here is the deal. I have a beating heart where the pumping is animated using endomorphs. I need to show a portion of the heart die off from lack of bloodflow.

I did the dying off portion by a using deform/morph target from the first beating heart to another object with a different surface. For the most part this worked well... the heart beat right along, and the new surface with the injured ventricles shows up. For some reason another part of the same model is shifting colors for no reason, showing switched surfaces.

here are 2 quick renders:

before morph
http://home.comcast.net/~bohanart/pre.jpg

after MorphTarget
http://home.comcast.net/~bohanart/weird.jpg

Any thoughts?

Bill K
10-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Really, really, nice heart model. Just wondering how you created the veins & arteries & colored/painted the fatty yellow areas.

mattyb
10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
the vascular system took a long time. as a leaping off point I used the sections from the visible human project. THen "hand modeled" the rest. The circumflex and coronary arteries were made with a simple subpatched tubes that I bent and conformed to the shape of the heart. Branching of the vessels were done with majic bevel then lots of cleaning up.

The surfaces are placeholders until I have more time... I'm not really happy with them, for example I don't like the seam between the pulmonary artery and the ventricle. I'm also not crazy about the surface on the ventricles...Given the deadline I had for the project and the size it was going to be rendered it was good enough!

Bill K
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for sharing that info! I was wondering if you had used ZBrush for any of the details (veins and arteries on the heart's surface) & surfacing.

mattyb
10-29-2007, 08:29 AM
I need to try zbrush at some point. I don't have it. I hand modeled the vasulature around the heart in case I needed it later to show a flythrough or placement of heart catheters for other clients.

medicalart
11-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Looks like some polys from your model are overlapping after it's morphed.
Are the surfaces of the pulmonary arteries red in both models? Looks like the target is red, but the "pre" model is surfaced blue. Is the target "hidden from camera" in render? If not, you may have to change the diameter of vessel slightly. Another work around would be to exclude the upper vessels from the morph. (i.e. only morph the chambers, and exclude the geometry of the upper vessels )


Also check to make sure you don't have extra polys lying around.
BTW, I checked out your website--your illustrations are fantastic.

mattyb
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey medicalart,

Yes surfaces of the pulmonary arteries are red in both models... and, yes, the morph target is hidden from camera. All I did to the target model was to dupe it and apply a new texture to the ventricles. Poly counts are identical.

Strangely, the bump map disappears in the morph as well. The renders I linked to were early in the project, so they don't show the bumps.

I had another model doing a similar thing, but haven't repeated it with other models.

Anyhow, it was delivered to the client...I ended up rendering out the sequence with both maps and fading them in After effects. I'd like to fix the model for future use though!

BTW, Thanks for peeking at the website... glad you liked the illustrations. The site is REALLY out of date, but I haven't had a minute to update things!