PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave VS Notepad

Tosk
02-08-2003, 07:29 AM
Is lw compatible with the firewire dongle of Notepad XP ?

(let's start it again!!)

rabid pitbull
02-08-2003, 08:22 AM
:rolleyes:

Joril
02-08-2003, 08:24 AM
I'm not so sure lw is compatible with anything.
Notpad on the other half....

DigiLusionist
02-08-2003, 11:19 AM
cause it keeps coming back to life, just when you thought it was dead.

And it's eating our braaaaaaiiiiiins...

Hiraghm
02-08-2003, 11:45 AM
I was surfing ebay the other day and saw someone selling an old version of notepad... Windows 3.1 I think. I almost got it, but then figured since I already had the Win2k version, I didn't really need an old version that might not be compatible.

One of the really cool things about Notepad is its versatility. Not only does it have that great rendering engine, it can also serve to model HTML, XML, or even C++ code!

:D

jaspar
02-08-2003, 02:21 PM
I just dig that real time AA on the latest beta release of Notepad. The automated dial-up licencing with total system-scan sucks though, I'm just glad that the web-cam iris scan isn't up and running as yet.

The new automated WTFY (We Think For You) modelling system is amazing, having moved from Lightwave, I typed X, got an X-box, save me hours of modelling!:p

Alec Trevelyan
02-08-2003, 05:19 PM
yay NotePad!!

I've heard talk about an up-and-coming 3D package called WORDPAD...anyone know anything more?;)

Psyhke
02-08-2003, 05:35 PM
What I'm wondering is where is the OSX version of notepad? Could it be that difficult to port? (I use a PC, but I know plently of Mac users that a bit miffed about being overlooked).

Prosprctor
02-08-2003, 07:17 PM
:D It made it !!!!!!!

Word pad is just a bloated Notepad
But the main failure with wordpad in it's incompatability with LW, which is more important than sex.:p

Celshader
02-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Face it, folks -- it's easier to celshade with Notepad.

From the first keystroke you get clean, hard transitions in the shading instead of that nasty pseudo-airbrush look with Super Cel Shader's default settings. You also get the believable pen-and-ink colors of black and white, instead of the improbable color choices of BESM's default settings.

90-95% of a celshader artist's time goes into modeling -- the model must have a mechanically smooth surface to yield mechanically smooth shading and ink lines. Again, Notepad wins hands-down in this area. I can model as fast as I can type, plus Notepad models always have perfect curves and straight lines.

As mentioned before, LightWave just can't beat the beautiful simplicity of Notepad's interface, the elegance of Notepad's system requirements or Notepad's marvelous price.

I only suffer LightWave's existance right now because I can't find a Notepad font that will let me model an elf. :D:D:D

CTRL+X
02-08-2003, 09:20 PM
I am most impressed with the Sub-Division of Notepad, how I can enter the most fickle font with serif, hit that Sub-D key and BOOM, an instant smoothed Sans Serif Font with out a glitch.

I cant wait for the Aura 2 Notepad connection, can you imagine, Sub-D Sans Serif fonts in Color???!!!!

faulknermano
02-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Prosprctor
Word pad is just a bloated Notepad

that's what amatuers say. fact is most newbies cant get their tiny little brains around the real power of word pad, so they cling to some pathetic macho delusion that the harder way is the the better way (e.g. plugin vs. no plugin, wordpad vs. notepad).

Prosprctor
02-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Amature?????:p

I have been followin Notepad since ver .0006 on the Vic-20
(yes Microsoft wrote the software for it) (says so on boot up)

And even before that I played with the Original Note on my Timex Sinclair 1000 (but we had to program it in first to work with it:D )

faulknermano
02-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Prosprctor
Amature?????:p

I have been followin Notepad since ver .0006 on the Vic-20
(yes Microsoft wrote the software for it) (says so on boot up)

And even before that I played with the Original Note on my Timex Sinclair 1000 (but we had to program it in first to work with it:D )

ah an old-timer, eh? i rest my case.

i must have underestimated newbies.. at least they can adapt to changing technology. but old timers! cant teach an old dog new tricks, as they say. like dylan sings

come mothers and fathers throughout the land
dont criticize what you cant understand
your sons and your daughters are beyond your command

your old road is rapidly aging
please get out of the new one if you cant lend your hand
for the time they are a-changing

(harmonica lick here)

Extent
02-10-2003, 12:07 AM
And the notepad thread rises like a grusome zombe reviving from the grave

Accckkk!!!!

Extent stomps on the possesed thread, attempting to return it to the forbidden depths that it rises from

bobakabob
02-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Hiraghm
One of the really cool things about Notepad is its versatility. Not only does it have that great rendering engine, it can also serve to model HTML, XML, or even C++ code!

True that Notepad is a mighty application capable of anything - but couldn't something be done to simplify its ridiculously complex interface? Since 3.1, workflow in Notepad is becoming near impossible - it's evolved into a bloatware nightmare.

Prosprctor
02-10-2003, 08:42 AM
WOOF WOOF:D

Qslugs
02-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Openoffice is the way to go. It's got all of the functionality of the 17 thousand dollar text editors and best of all it's free!

http://www.openoffice.org/

Matt
02-10-2003, 11:18 AM
wtf r u all on?

:p

Skonk
02-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Iv been trying for months to get my college to move from lw to notepad. ofcourse id be sad to see lw go but lets face it, nothing comes close to notepad. I think with notepad been free and all it wont be long before they make the move.

James..

PHilly[Dee]
02-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Qsluggs, thanks for the heads up!

jaspar
02-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Qslugs
Openoffice is the way to go. It's got all of the functionality of the 17 thousand dollar text editors and best of all it's free!

http://www.openoffice.org/

But what happens when you are in the middle of a critical project and you suddenly need technical support? With these high-price packages, you're paying for the security of knowing that someone you payed that much money must be eternally indebted to you.

Lightwolf
02-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by jaspar
But what happens when you are in the middle of a critical project and you suddenly need technical support? With these high-price packages, you're paying for the security of knowing that someone you payed that much money must be eternally indebted to you.

Wow, you're trying to tell me you got tech support from microsoft, directly from a person there ? :)

Qslugs
02-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Ok, you got me there. Open Office may not be the way to go then. You're right, who do you call when you're in a bind. Now StarOffice on the other hand the 60 dollar office clone, that is the way to go. You get tecxh support and paid development for that price. I mean whose going to implement NLA and SSS in you're text editor if you're not paying for development costs. What was I thinking.

Actually, for thoes of you that are seriously looking for a cheap alternative to Office (the full thing) check out Star Office. It's jsut as good as MS office except it's only 60 bucks instead of 250.00 (I think thats what it costs.). I think you can even pick it up from Best Buy. I use Star office at home and Office at work and I have no issues with either.

Lightwolf
02-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Ok, you got me there. Open Office may not be the way to go then. You're right, who do you call when you're in a bind. Now StarOffice on the other hand the 60 dollar office clone, that is the way to go. You get tecxh support and paid development for that price. I mean whose going to implement NLA and SSS in you're text editor if you're not paying for development costs. What was I thinking.

Well, the good thing about open source is, they could merge blender and openOffice and create a killer notepad!
With SSS, Gi, NLA, RTFPDF and an integrated game engine :cool:

On a serious note: openOffice rocks, I've used it since it was star office 5.x, and whenerver I have to use MS Office it just gives me the creeps since it seems to be so illogical...

But, all my important stuff is done in Notepad 8.0 Mecca beta with integrated font modeler of course :D

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Forget about upgrading from LW to notepad, upgrade to editpad pro, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You can have all your open files on tabs within editpad and it is so much more customizable!

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:18 AM
OH, and you can also download it for free!!

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:22 AM
I just remembered another thing. I think you can also debug html code and javascrpt with it. That is alway helpful!

Qslugs
03-07-2003, 10:50 AM
I need some help deciding if I should switch from openoffice to notepad. I hear they just had a notepad scripting update. Any suggestions?

Lightwolf
03-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Switch. Notepad now has a linux font renderer as well as improved scripting and glyph preview to firewire, as well as the super cool splinaparagraphs :D

faulknermano
03-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I need some help deciding if I should switch from openoffice to notepad. I hear they just had a notepad scripting update. Any suggestions?

after so many months of waiting, a handful of fixes an a couple of lame 'new' features. that's all they have to show for it???

but yeah, the scripting update was real nice. ;) see? i am able to say something nice about notepad. i could say more if it was at least half decent as wordpad. i'd stick to openoffice though, maybe until the next full notepad revision comes up. then you can make your decision then. ;)

robewil
03-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Microsoft has obviously been heavily paying attention to it's user's needs. After so much waiting, NotePad 2003 has been announced. Here is the unofficial feature list:

Shortwave Holographic Intuitive Texturizing - Simply stated, hold an object in front of your monitor and Notepad will instantly digitize the object in 3D with textures!

Rendering using 666 bit colorspace for unbelievable color accuracy!

46 billion levels of undo!

Instant Gratification - Upon shipping out your final animation, Microsoft's new PLE (Privacy Lost Enabled) protocol will automatically deduct funds from your client's bank account and deposit it into yours (with a small percentage going to Microsoft).

Lightwave Plus - Every single feature in Lightwave 7.5 multiplied by 7 times the coolness.

Oddly enough, the included sample objects will feature all the Monopoly game pieces.

bobakabob
03-10-2003, 05:12 PM
anyone patched Notepad with the 7.5b update now my punctuation don't work and spelling is atroshus

Hiraghm
03-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Anyone know how to set up a Linux render node for Notepad? My main Notepad workstation runs Win2K, but I'd like to off-load some renderings while I do other things on the Win2K machine.

The Linux box is dual-boot; Mandrake and Dos 6.22.... hey, I wonder... spose there's an MS-DOS render node available for Notepad?

mastermesh
03-21-2003, 12:14 PM
http://www.notepad.org/

trentonia
03-21-2003, 01:42 PM
I like the "find" function. The other day I had lost my car keys - I typed "car keys", clicked "find", and there they they were. Then there's the "time/date" function. When I go on a date, I like to time it. If the date is too long or too short, I can use the "replace" function to get a new date. Hell, I even used the replace function to get a better car. Then I discovered the "go to" item and realized that I didn't need a car. Punch in your destination and there you go. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only app that anyone needs. I MEAN IT!
greg

manfriday
03-21-2003, 02:26 PM
has anyone been able to figure out how to rig properly in notepad?
This is driving me crazy. Notepad really needs a more intuitive bone/IK system. I have hunted all over for the darn bone tools and I can't find them anywhere.

Also, does anyone know if Messiah:Animate is compatible with the new version of notepad? Or better yet is tehre a .FBX plugin available for notepad?
I think a notepad / Motionbuilder combination would be killer.

Prosprctor
03-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Boning in notepad is very easy although undocumented.
It goes like this;

Open notepad and start with this scene :

http://c:my documents\to newtek\step1

Print this out

Now to the undocumented part, so follow carefully.

With the printout on your desk and with the page facing tallest in your direction (not landscape but portrait)

Take a #2 pencil and draw these bones in this shape;

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/img/vBulletin_logo.gif[/img][/IMG]

Now fold along dotted lines towards center;
A 2 B
D 2 C

Your paper should look as follows and now draw bones as shown;

Now fold at bone junction 2 and 3 towards the ****INSIDE**** crease and it should now look like this;
REMEMBER DO BOTH SIDES

Now draw these bones and fold between bones 1 and 2;

Now if you did your bones correctly then when you pick up the paper and throw it the bones will act as Plane wings and the Notepad note should (may have to play with bone rotation to correctly get the wings correct)
FLY !!!![IMG][img

AnaQuista
03-25-2003, 03:03 AM
I cannot believe this thread is still going from the old forum!

I am very jealous of all you notepad users. Is anyone using Apples TextEdit instead?

Prosprctor
03-25-2003, 08:43 AM
HMMM
pics not showin:mad:

:confused: What did I do wrong:confused:

particle
03-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Prospctor, isn't it obvious to you? You didn't use notepad for the rendering of those images. Though I was able to follow along without the pictures and now have mastered the bone/IK system in notepad. Thanks. Is there a tutorial website for notepad?

particle

meshmaster
05-30-2003, 08:43 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/5250.html?1037039981

Rei
05-30-2003, 01:10 PM
but is there an in built *munch* real time render *munch* built into notepad? I mean if there is then I can see a whole new bread *munch* of games coming out developed *munch* by *munch* notepad.

*munch*

Im eating btw.

cavalos
06-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Amazing...this is the most useless and longest post ever!

Howzat
06-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I love notepad for its super easy facial animation system.

Once you've built your model you can go from happiness to surprised to sadness with only FOUR keystrokes!

:-)
:-O
:-(

Lightwave doesn't hold a candle to that sort of workflow.

JCG
06-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Actually if you take a Notepad Advanced Program, you'll see that you can go from happiness to surprised with only 2 keystrokes!
It requires some previous setup. Hire a TD to deal with the capslock part unless you want to be stuck with complicated procedures like simultaneous keypresses. I can't reveal the procedure that was shown during my "NAP" (ndas & stuff), but I can give you a hint: it involves the backspace key. (shhh)

Howzat
06-05-2003, 02:46 AM
That's one of notepads few shortcomings... lack of decent documentation. You've got to spend the big bucks doing those Advanced Programs to learn the pro tricks :D

prospector
06-05-2003, 07:45 AM
Particle..;)

I knew I should have invested the extra 5 bucks for the plug in 'GLUE'.
I coulda saved time by just 'gluing' the notes to my screen so all could see them.
DANGIT !!
well of to Home Depot to get some....

meshmaster
06-09-2003, 11:02 AM
No Lightwave icon in there, but maybe in the next version their will be one! :p

meshmaster
06-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Not mine - but really awe inspiring... Learned of it at

http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37332

http://www.geocities.com/ezbrush2003/textbuzz.txt

meshmaster
09-16-2003, 10:51 AM
http://is6.pacific.net.hk/~edx/3dnotepad.htm

Zafar Iqbal
09-16-2003, 12:16 PM
I do all modeleing in Notepad..

Actually.. if it was up to me, i would do alle the rendering in txt format. But those boring costumers dont like anything else than rgb/cmyk. How lame is that?! :(

Qslugs
09-16-2003, 09:13 PM
I disagree with you're preference, to each his own I guess. I still find LW to be the best modeler. However I have rescently switched from Layout to messiah:notepad for all my animation and rendering.

badllarma
09-17-2003, 12:15 AM
as a newby to Notepad I was wondering if there was a "Inside Notepad" avalible by Dan Ablan and is so what is the current version to look for on ebay :D

Nemoid
09-17-2003, 05:38 AM
I just heard of this great software used for the great
James Cameron's new "Gundam" movie picture.

since I want to learn it, does some of you have some tutorial resources??

thx in advance.

prospector
09-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Dan IS working on a book for Notepad:D

But it is hard to figure out how to charge 49.95 for a 2 page manual, and that is mostly pictures.:D

pblacklock
09-17-2003, 10:18 AM
integrate

integrate

integrate

integrate

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,,,zzzzzzzzzzzz,zzzzzzzzz

badllarma
09-17-2003, 12:26 PM
prospector

"But it is hard to figure out how to charge 49.95 for a 2 page manual"
-------------

I would! :D

Signal to Noise
09-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Question:

If I were to buy Notepad, is there some nifty 3rd party plug-ins I could get for it? Also, is there a demo version available for download available?

badllarma
09-17-2003, 03:00 PM
the nifty 3rd party plugin is called Windows XP :D

meshmaster
11-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Check out this Notepad render of the Matrix:

http://abstract.cs.washington.edu/~renacer/ascii-matrix.html.gz?D0=70

Psyhke
11-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Maybe LW8 will should get a connection to Notepad renderer instead of Mental Ray! :)

Alan Daniels
11-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Psyhke
Maybe LW8 will should get a connection to Notepad renderer instead of Mental Ray! :)

That would be a great idea, except for Notepad's licensing is limited to one node per screen-font. Once you start your render, you better darn well decide if you want your output in Fixedsys or Lucida Console!

Mental Ray's limit to one license per CPU is much more reasonable. Sure your render is limited to one box, but can then use as many fonts as you like. :)

mcewan7
11-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Has anyone else heard the rumour that the next version of notepad comes with an improved edge bevel tool and the introduction of Layers?

meshmaster
12-09-2003, 12:45 PM
http://junior.vbdesign.net/vb2/index.php?showtopic=421

archiea
12-10-2003, 05:51 PM
I just discovered that when I pull my finger, my bottom goes "toot". Is that new with 7.5c?

art
12-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by mcewan7
Has anyone else heard the rumour that the next version of notepad comes with an improved edge bevel tool and the introduction of Layers?

Yeah, layers proved indispensable in many applications. I bet notepad will benefit from them too. Imagine puting every word in a sentence on a different layer, better yet.. every letter! Possibilities are endless.

prospector
12-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Sounds like you have a bug.

Since LW3, the big talk around the water cooler, is that it goes
pppsssssttttttt or a really loud PTHPTHPTHPTH.

but no other secret finger pull combinations have yet been found.
could you give a tutorial of the process to get a 'TOOT' ??

And layers will finally give us the ability to use Notepad like scrabble

Ohh to mix and match letters what joy we can look forward too

And it's about time Note cought up with LW in this department.

archiea
12-11-2003, 01:54 PM
tooooot

toooooooooooooot

toooooooot

toooo -PPPPPPFFFFFFFFtttt-- SQUIRT----SPLAT!!!

Oh no, my Calvins!!!!!

I think it just core dumped!!!!:confused:

minus
12-11-2003, 08:33 PM
I don't normally spread rumors... but word on the street says
a possible buy-out of Notepad by Apple is in the works.

No word yet on if Apple would make Notepad an Apple only
product killing PC support though. I *might* just buy a Mac if
that were true!

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 08:19 AM
deserve to be on the grill at McDonalds.

unc1e meat
12-12-2003, 11:20 PM
notepad is so 90's. Step up to Unix and the new millenium and use text edit on Mac OS X.

meshmaster
04-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Spell notepad backwards and you get dapeton - do a google for it and you find dapeton: a virus for notepad according to:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdapetona.html

Cageman
04-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Actually, Gold ED on Amiga is way better than both Wordpad and Notepad combined! And this is on a 14MHz 68020 processor (original A1200)!!!!

Mikeface
04-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Aaagh!! Zombie thread!!! :eek: :(

prospector
04-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Brains...must eat brains!!!!

WizCraker
04-30-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm more of a Vim type of person.

Also Notepad has never crashed on me.

sadkkf
04-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Where can I get a copy of NPrime?

Cageman
04-30-2004, 02:43 PM
At Wordey Productions... hmm.. their URL seems to be down at the moment... to many visitors...

nuclearchutney
04-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by robewil
Microsoft has obviously been heavily paying attention to it's user's needs. After so much waiting, NotePad 2003 has been announced. Here is the unofficial feature list:

Shortwave Holographic Intuitive Texturizing - Simply stated, hold an object in front of your monitor and Notepad will instantly digitize the object in 3D with textures!

Rendering using 666 bit colorspace for unbelievable color accuracy!

46 billion levels of undo!

Instant Gratification - Upon shipping out your final animation, Microsoft's new PLE (Privacy Lost Enabled) protocol will automatically deduct funds from your client's bank account and deposit it into yours (with a small percentage going to Microsoft).

Lightwave Plus - Every single feature in Lightwave 7.5 multiplied by 7 times the coolness.

Oddly enough, the included sample objects will feature all the Monopoly game pieces.

YOU GOTTA LOVE S.H.I.T.! its awesome! the most killer feature of em all :D

MORE S.H.I.T. FOR EVERYBODY!! :D :p

Qslugs
06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
bump............................

robewil
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
bump............................
Why? Why? Why? :p

Jim_C
06-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Wish we had this kinda fun over on the VT boards.

Maybe I should start a 'VT4 vs Paint' thread.

Just afraid some would think I was serious...
we're a little drier over there ya know.....

:rolleyes:

mattclary
06-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Why? Why? Why? :p

Things "have" been kind of slow aroun here... It was either this or we start a thread about M*d*! ;)

ravantra
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
notepad spelled backward is dapeton.....coincidence....I think not

-NG-
06-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Notepad is dam powerfull. :D For a variaty of thing.

Howzat
06-22-2005, 06:50 PM
I couldn't believe I got an e-mail notification for this thread. Between this one and the original, we must be stretching back a few years..
Still funny stuff though :cool:

Jim_C
06-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Notepad.. is not 10 characters

hrgiger
06-22-2005, 09:30 PM
It was either this or we start a thread about M*d*! ;)

That or my personal favorite. The "I can't get Lightwave to work right so I'm forced to switch to brand X" thread. Well boo frickin hoo.

prospector
06-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Ladies And Gentlemen

You've all heard of boxing ?

Just 'Rock'em, sock'em babies

World Wide Wrestling ??

Sissies in tights.

We bring you the greatest battle since Pong......

The horror of the harddrive, the catastrophy of the CPU, the showdown of the serial port.

Yes folks..it's the one and only tagteam battle that you will ever need to see

Get your tickets now before they're gone

iaef
06-23-2005, 10:40 AM
There is this interesting thread at "notepadawan users" magazine, where they compare their favorite product against such industry monsters like Lightwave. Quite interesting... they also metion this rumor about M$ trying to buy Wordey Studios to increase their already stunning gap.

As always, it is useless to post the link to the post, since the popularity of notepad keeps it constantly down. :eek:

Qslugs
04-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Anyone know if 9.5 will be adding any enhancements to compete better with notepad? I'd really like a non linear text editor like notepad has.

mattclary
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I heard Worley was being asked to write a third party rederer for Notepad.

Titus
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Notepad could be in a lead position if a linux version appears soon.

Lightwolf
04-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm sure you can run it using Whine... maybe only in Discovery mode though.

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
04-29-2007, 01:26 PM
But gods, the nodal network needed for building a document in notepad is overwhelming. Is there a 3rd party addon available to simplify this nonsense?

Lightwolf
04-29-2007, 01:28 PM
But gods, the nodal network needed for building a document in notepad is overwhelming. Is there a 3rd party addon available to simplify this nonsense?
I'm working on something :p

You could always use NodePad of course ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Stooch
04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
7 pages of notepad analogies... dorquetastic.

mouse_art
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I use Notepad every day, but enough FB yick yack from me about NP.

Verlon
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I am having trouble using the italics texture in notepad. Is it any easier in Nodepad?

lilrayray77
05-02-2007, 04:38 AM

latest version of wine (on ubuntu) also installs what seems to be a linux version of notepad!

Haven1000
05-02-2007, 05:04 AM
I've always wondered where the patients go after they leave the asylum.

I've found my answer: This thread:D

prospector
05-02-2007, 05:55 AM
This is round 2 of LW vs Notepad.
I think it was the longest, most viewed of the original LW discussion board.

And then there was the LW vs Dodge truck thread. LW barely came out on top there.

Phil
05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
There's this weird addon for notepad, called ClearType, which provides for tremendous subdivision levels - great for surface smoothing. I just can't figure out why they gave it such a daft name. It doesn't eat as much memory as LW's version. NewTek should buy the ClearType developers out. :D

mattclary
05-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Haven't you heard of Cerveza Scream?

theo
05-02-2007, 10:58 AM
All of you people contributing to this vapor-thread need to be deboned. And your garment-like remains sent to Microsoft, glorious founder of notepad, to be mixed up into an effigy-like muck and used as paint on the inner walls of the sanctum of Soft Microness.

Hmmm... that was awful! And just in case anyone thinks I MEAN this- :D .

ItsPete
05-02-2007, 11:30 AM
>>used as paint

hmm... paint, now there's a whole new topic! wish i had that on my mac....

Matt
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Interestingly, I've been working on a vX interface for Notepad!

;)

mattclary
05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Interestingly, I've been working on a vX interface for Notepad!

;)

Screenshots!!! :boogiedow

ItsPete
05-02-2007, 01:52 PM
or renders maybe?

DiedonD
05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
What I like best about Notepad is that it greatly dominates LW in Lypsinck and Animation. You dont have to go through that EXTREEMLY TEDIOUS way of Morph Mixer, and lypsinck a whole male-female love conversation (you know know how much these last, its 18000 frames so far). Nah, instead of that you just copy paste the lines from original story to Notepad and whoala you already have it there. I mean how on earth can that be beaten. I know people who can do that for 1/10000 of a second. COPY PASTE thats it!
So why bother wasting a month over this issue in LW? Anyone?

And also theres this latest Mayestro for Notepad. Instead of going through all this nonsense of IK and FK, you can only use TK (Type Kinematics). Instead of moving legs and go through all the tedious work of generating a walk, well click left... and then click right, and left again, OH my god and the right! And on, and on , and on, its so tedious, in TK you just use a preset of aniamtion. They just have the "W" for walk, so you just type W and its walking. You have S for sitting, T for nonverbal hand movement, and the library goes on and on, and they say that its only limited to the users imagination.

Compare the two... And I only have one word UNBEATABLE!!!!

dennis1234
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi I’m new around here but was happy to see other users with the same interest and respect for notepad. You probably know about this Easter egg that enables the Massive clone (Humongous). Press “ctrl+shift+f+home+delete+f3 wiggle the mouse left several times there is a couple of other things you need to do but can’t remember what they are (I’m sure you will figure it out).

I think it still in beta, at first it was really cool to use I create a city with about 3 million animated figures and with the new AI feature they would walk around, drive their cars and go to work you know all the normal stuff in every day life, my problems started when I added the linguistics module now all they do is swear and fight does anybody know how to fix this?

BTW there is an update coming out that will add gibberish to the code (This is one of my most requested features) I also heard that they are going to replace those plain English error codes with cryptic messages. Sounds like it will be a good point upgrade.

Phil
05-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I think it still in beta, at first it was really cool to use I create a city with about 3 million animated figures and with the new AI feature they would walk around, drive their cars and go to work you know all the normal stuff in every day life, my problems started when I added the linguistics module now all they do is swear and fight does anybody know how to fix this?

Remove their ears.

Qslugs
05-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Hey check out my new sss test - (rendered in notepad)

sss

How cool is that! Looks like notepad has sss rendering nailed!

DiedonD
05-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey check out my new sss test - (rendered in notepad)

sss

How cool is that! Looks like notepad has sss rendering nailed!

WOWWW HOW Photorealistic!!! Im truly amazed. It just cant seem more photorealistic than that. How long did it take to render?

Qslugs
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Realtime I believe :)

IMI
05-05-2007, 01:42 PM
:lol:

danielkaiser
12-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Bump!

archijam
12-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Old tech.

I'm using Notepad RT.

eagleeyed
12-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Wow, this thread is that old! I remember it from when I first got LightWave (which was put on the shelf after about a month, until now) :S. Many laughs were just had.

pooby
12-17-2010, 05:43 AM
These 'vs' threads are pointless and a waste of time.

Nowadays most professional artists will use more than one package to get the job done. Each app has its strengths and weaknesses blah blah, no tool is perfect, blah blah, the grass isnt greener, stock response etc
Notepad and lightwave can make up a good combo to work together effectively.Why not use both?

probiner
12-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Yes yes, but for what i do for a living (teapot stills) Notepad renders just fine... I only use Lw to animate them...

`..`
`.:/+++oys+++//:-..``
`-+ss/.-:/+shmsooossssyso+:-.
``` `/yys+++++oydNNNdysssooooosshho/o.
`.-::///+yho//////::-.:+sysssoooooooossyhoom:
`+hhy:.-sd+::///::::---:://++++++oooooosyyohNNo
/hNNm-sh:-:::::::::::://///++++++++oosyyshNNNNh`
:shm+h+.--:::::::::////////++++++oossssdNNNNNNd.
./s.:o:..--::::::://////////+++ooosyhmmNNNNNNNm`
.``.:::-.----::::::://////+++osyhddmmNNNNNNNNh `.:+/:-.```
``````.--------::::::///++oosyyhhddmmmNNNNNNNN+ `..`.-://++/:.
.````......----::::///++oosssyyhhhddmmNNNNNNNNd ....:+so:-.`
.```......----::::///+++ooossyyyhhdddmmNNNNNNNN.`...:+hy.
.``.......----::::///+++ooosssyyhhhddmmNNNNho+++/..:smy
..........----::::///+++ooosssyyyhhddmmNNN+-----../smd`
.........-----::::///+++ooosssyyyhhddmmNN+.````.-/ymh`
`........----::::////+++ooosssyyyhhddmmNm.```.-:ohm+
.......-----::::////+++ooosssyyyhhddmmNN/://+syy+`
.---------:::::////+++ooosssyyhhddmmNNNm+---.
.-------:::::////+++ooosssyyhhddmmNNNs`
`-:::::::://///+++ooosssyyhhddmNNh/`
.-///////++++ooosssyyhhdmNds/`
`.:/+ossssyyyhhddhyo+-`
``.....`

JeffrySG
12-17-2010, 06:56 AM
These 'vs' threads are pointless and a waste of time.

Nowadays most professional artists will use more than one package to get the job done. Each app has its strengths and weaknesses blah blah, no tool is perfect, blah blah, the grass isnt greener, stock response etc
Notepad and lightwave can make up a good combo to work together effectively.Why not use both?

:agree:

Phil
12-17-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't know. I find notepad's interface to be too complex. It's worse than blender. Anyone come across good notepad tutorials that might help me out?

Verlon
12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
I hear Ablan was working on an "Inside Notepad" title. I can't wait!

jasonwestmas
12-17-2010, 10:44 AM
You guys forgot about the infinite flexibilities and possibilities of note pad! LW is all locked down with red tape. . .sorry to break it to you all.

Kuzey
12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
What's this thing notpad and was it used in avatar :D

Kuzey

Bona
12-17-2010, 11:07 AM
All information about notepad should be moved to "HARDPAD" forum .... sssshhhhh ( Want to know more? Get yourself a Windose membership, updates and patches will be sent to all members on a weekly/daily/hourly basis, probably when you're using your computer for something else. :devil: )