PDA

View Full Version : 3D Paint Programs

echomedia
10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Years ago I used a 3D paint program called Meshpaint which let me create image maps right on a 3-D object. Can anyone recommend a 3-D paint program that is similiar or better? Is Meshpaint still around?

SplineGod
10-12-2007, 08:28 PM
www.3d-brush.com

IMI
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Never used it, but it looks like it's still around, although it says LW 7+.
http://www.sharbor.com/products/EVAN0280009.html

Deep Paint 3D, by Right Hemisphere, Body Paint 3D, by Maxon, and ZBrush, by Pixologic are all pretty good, plus, of course, modo, from Luxology.
They're all alot more money than Meshpaint - at least twice as much, but probably far more advanced as well.

IMI
10-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh wait, I might be confusing it with something else of the same name. The MeshPaint I linked to looks more like what I've seen people do in Maya with the fur and hair tools.

JeffrySG
10-12-2007, 10:01 PM
What about BodyPaint?

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/bodypaint3d/lightwave/lightwave_e.html

Greenlaw
10-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Don't forget Modo. It's very easy to use, and unlike many 3D paint apps it supports LightWave objects directly.

3D Brush seems like it does the job and the price is very nice ($70). It sounds like the developers are planning to support LightWave directly too. I downloaded the demo recently but haven't tried it yet.

There is a Photoshop plug-in called called Enzo 3D, which lets you paint on objects using Photoshop's native tools. Intriguing but unfortunately I've never been able to get the demo to work reliably.

Finally, Colin Cohen came up with a poor man's version (meaning free) that works with LightWave and any paint package. It's called Autoview and I think you can find the link somewhere in this forum. Autoview is basically a 'hub' between Layout and, say, Photoshop (though it can be any paint program.) Once you link it to a texture in layout, every time you paint a few strokes and press the save key paint program, you will see the object surface update automatically in Layout. Autoview also works great with FPrime. Compared to expensive commercial solutions it's pretty limited, but it works well and I've used it on a few jobs in the past.

As for the MeshPaint I use in Lightwave, it's a plug-in that allows you to paint geometry clones on the surface of your object. Kinda like Random Cloner but much more interactive. I'm not aware of another product also called MeshPaint that is a 3D painting program.

Hope this info is helpful.

DRG

Dodgy
10-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I can't recommend 3d brush enough. I would say as good as BP3d for painting a mesh if not better, and a 10th of the price.

I bought two copies and I've not been disappointed.

shokan
10-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi,
I found 3D-Brush and am excited about using it soon.
I am looking for sculpt programs that use DirectX to render in real time in the viewport. 3D-Brush does.
Do you know if Mudbox does? I know it is an OpenGL-based program. I have tried in a lot of forums and have gotten Yeses and No-s, and also contacted the company.
Other than trueSpace and 3DSMax, do you know what general mid-high end 3D program uses or has the choice of DirectX to render in it's modeling viewport? Mudbox though is my main question. And, BTW, would there be a way to discover the DirectX usage from the program itself (it's not in Help)?
Thanks.