PDA

View Full Version : Stills vs. animation

GraphikMagik
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I've spent the last year learning the ins and outs of Modeler. I'm now ready to jump into learning to render in Lightwave. I'm not needing to animate. I just want to render an image for use in my Graphic designs, for example rendering a character in a certain pose. Since I'm new to this part of lightwave I have this question; Is there a way to wrig my model and pose in Lightwave and save this pose as a mesh that I can tweak back in modeler and then send it back to Lightwave for rendering or must I just pose my model in Modeler first.
I'm sorry for dragging on , I hope you get the jist of what I'm asking.
Thanks

UnCommonGrafx
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
My suggestion to you would be to rig it with bones so that you can pose it in layout without the back and forth operation to modeler.
This would give you an immense amount of flexibility.

Surrealist.
10-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I have done a little bit of both. I do like the flexibility of using bones but if I am looking for a still image for a character in a fairly difficult pose, I might opt to do it in Modeler without a rig.

Rigging is a science and an art. The best thing to do is to learn it from some one who has years of production experience such as Larry Shultz (Spline God) or Timothy Albee - who has a great book LW Character Animation. If you approach it this way you won't have any problems because you'll learn from someone who has worked all those out.

You might also find a combination of the two worthwhile. Say rig a character, set the basic pose, save transformed with the subdivision level at 0 then tweak it in Modeler. You can then hit Tab again, save it and bring it into Layout for testing and final rendering.

Andyjaggy
10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
The thought of rigging a character send chills down my spine. I did it once in Max. It was a nightmare there, can't imagine doing it in LW.

steamthunk
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
If you've never rigged anything then its a useful exercise to do so just to see the capabilities. I find the whole bone/rig/tweak process tedious, but ultimately no less tedious than continuously re-modeling. Unless you know exactly what pose you want up front, I'd put in a simple bone structure and deform to get a feel for what you want then lock it in and bring it back to modeler.