PDA

View Full Version : Need help guys

Tony3d
10-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi all, I need to make arrows that revolve around a planet, and change diameter as the shaft gets closer to the arrow end. I have attached a sample of what I mean. These will are just for an illustration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

plandrey
10-12-2007, 05:58 AM
The simple way would be to model an arrow in that shape, if it doesn't need to do anything else but rotate around the equator. Model it straight with lots of segments, taper the shaft, bend it, clone it, adjust the pivot, and there you go!

I was only kidding about a hard way... c'mon this is LW!

Cheers!

BazC
10-12-2007, 06:05 AM
I'd create a disk a bit wider than the diameter of your planet. Then bevel it outwards so you create a circular strip of polys around the original disk. Now move the central disk to one side and you'll end up with a tapering loop of polys that will fit round your planet. Just select a strip to use for your arrow and delete the rest. Now all you have to do is thiscken the strip and build an arrow head on the end.

Tony3d
10-12-2007, 06:35 AM
I'd create a disk a bit wider than the diameter of your planet. Then bevel it outwards so you create a circular strip of polys around the original disk. Now move the central disk to one side and you'll end up with a tapering loop of polys that will fit round your planet. Just select a strip to use for your arrow and delete the rest. Now all you have to do is thiscken the strip and build an arrow head on the end.

Can you explain further, I'm not quite sure I understand. Thanks.

BazC
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I thought of a slight improvement.

1 Select the equator of your planet and use edge extend twice to produce stage 2 and 3. The select the outermost edge and move horizontally (4). This creates a tapering band of polys that fit perfectly round the planet (5) All you need to do then is select a suitable strip to use as the basis for your arrow.

Plandrey's is probably a better method but I hate LWs bend tool! :D

Attached graphic created with Pixelmator, PS would have been a little quicker and easier but it worked pretty well.:thumbsup:

Tony3d
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I thought of a slight improvement.

1 Select the equator of your planet and use edge extend twice to produce stage 2 and 3. The select the outermost edge and move horizontally (4). This creates a tapering band of polys that fit perfectly round the planet (5) All you need to do then is select a suitable strip to use as the basis for your arrow.

Plandrey's is probably a better method but I hate LWs bend tool! :D

Attached graphic created with Pixelmator, PS would have been a little quicker and easier but it worked pretty well.:thumbsup:

Thanks go it!