PDA

View Full Version : Directional Rays parameter checked by default

pva
10-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Every time I open a scene, wether is new or it's a previously saved scene with radiosity activated, the parameter of directional rays keeps appearing checked even if I've already uncheked it and saved the scene.

The 9.3 what's new guide says:

"The Directional Rays option defaults to on in existing and new scenes. When this option is enabled, the radiosity will include illumination from directional sources such as reflections, refractions, transparency and fog. When the option is disabled, the only illumination will come from non-directional sources such as diffuse."

I want it to save the value it had when I saved the scene for last time, as any other values of the scene, I can't understand why newtek put this parameter that way.

The main issue I'm having is that I've managed myself to build a little renderfarm of 1 PC (yes, it's so little :P) in order of be able to set a render queue of scenes. Problem is when I load a scene with surfaces having reflective of transparent properties my render time boosts about 300% or 400% the normal time because this damn parameter gets activated automatically when Screamernet II loads every scene, and I really don't want it or either need it.

Any idea for fixing this?

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 05:04 AM
no idea! but it is really weird! Is it scriptable?

pva
10-12-2007, 05:07 AM
no idea! but it is really weird! Is it scriptable?

What do you mean with scriptable? :help:

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Yes it scriptable. you can switch this option with: RadiosityDirectionalRays

pva
10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Oh, you mean by lscript commands? How can I do that?

Thanks a lot.

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
With this script...

@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("RadiosityDirectionalRays");
}

But I need to figure out how to execute it on load.....

pva
10-12-2007, 05:33 AM
That's no problem, I think it's editing the lwext9.cfg and putting it in there.

The lwext9.cfg looks this way:

{ Entry
Class "AnimUVInterface"
Name "Animation UV Sample Plugin"
Module "C:\\Archivos de programa\\NewTek\\LightWave 3D 9.3\\Plugins\\texture\\animuv.p"
InfoTag 409 "Animation UV Cycler"
}
{ Entry
Class "CameraHandler"
Name "ShiftCamera"
Module "C:\\Archivos de programa\\NewTek\\LightWave 3D 9.3\\Plugins\\effect\\shiftcamera.p"
}
{ Entry
Class "CameraInterface"
Name "ShiftCamera"
Module "C:\\Archivos de programa\\NewTek\\LightWave 3D 9.3\\Plugins\\effect\\shiftcamera.p"
}

etc..

So just with this script:

@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("RadiosityDirectionalRays");
}

The parameter sets automatically to off?

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 05:40 AM
I don't think that will work. It just a command. you can put it under a button or paste it in your scene file or just execute it in lscommander (under genericplugins. If you paste the little code in a txt file and change the extension in .ls you can load it. But its not working automatic yet. Have to figure that out myself.

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 05:47 AM
@warnings

generic
{
CommandInput("RadiosityDirectionalRays 0");
}

If you do it like this it doesn't toggle but just turns it off. ;)

pva
10-12-2007, 05:50 AM
There's no way to translate a command into a .p or-whatever-it-is file to put it into the lwext9.cfg to be executed every time the layout gets loaded?

Many thanks for the help, really :)

Lightwolf
10-12-2007, 05:56 AM
There's no way to translate a command into a .p or-whatever-it-is file to put it into the lwext9.cfg to be executed every time the layout gets loaded?
.p files don't get execute automatically. LW doesn't even load them until you manually apply them (by pressing a button, whatever).
The lwext#.cfg file just tells LW which plugins are available and where to find them.

One workaround for you might be to save a default.lws scene with that setting. It won't work for old scenes, but for new ones.

Cheers,
Mike

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 05:59 AM
thats the problem....That it doesn't work. The script i wrote works but it doesn't load automatically even when I add it as a master lsscript. Really nasty

pva
10-12-2007, 06:00 AM
No Lightwolf, that's the first thing I tried, to put it off via a default.lws but it does not work.

It loads the parameters of the default.lws scene correctly into the new ones BUT the directional rays keeps being activated by Layout by default.

:(

Hey, using the master plugins (Ctrl+Q) would not be a good idea for loading the script automatically?

PD: Oops, "thats the problem....That it doesn't work. The script i wrote works but it doesn't load automatically even when I add it as a master lsscript. Really nasty"

You already tried :(

What a weird issue here..

Lightwolf
10-12-2007, 06:09 AM
No Lightwolf, that's the first thing I tried, to put it off via a default.lws but it does not work.

It loads the parameters of the default.lws scene correctly into the new ones BUT the directional rays keeps being activated by Layout by default.

Hm, allright. I also just saw the lwsn comment. So does the setting get saved with the scene or not?
If it does I see no way around it but to resave your scenes (especially since lwsn doesn't support commands anyhow).

It might make things a bit quicker if you use the menu editor to expose the command as a button in the GUI.

load, click to disable, save...

Cheers,
Mike

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Dude I got it!!!! Just add this in your scene file:

RadiosityDirectionalRays 0

That works for me!! Now it's turn off when you load the scene!

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 06:15 AM
It might make things a bit quicker if you use the menu editor to expose the command as a button in the GUI.

load, click to disable, save...

Cheers,
Mike

that doesn't work for screamernet!

Looks like newtek forgot to save this value in it's scene files: RadiosityDirectionalRays 0

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Here's a scene file that works! :D

pva
10-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Sorry 3DGFX but the scene warns me that don't find the ls file you have attached in the master plugins, can you post the code you used for the ls here or the file itself please?

pva
10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Where do I exactly have to add RadiosityDirectionalRays 0 in the scene file?

pva
10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Dude it worksss!! haha

I opened the lws file with the notepad and added the command, closed the Layout, loaded again the scene and voila!

THANKS A LOT!

pva
10-12-2007, 12:51 PM
The trick works as far as you don't change anything in the scene, otherwise the parameter gets deleted by Layout and the directional rays will appear ON again.

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Dude it worksss!! haha

I opened the lws file with the notepad and added the command, closed the Layout, loaded again the scene and voila!

THANKS A LOT!

Yea sorry I wasn't really clear about that. But that was the idea! :thumbsup: