PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Maya Plugins??

daforum
10-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Can anyone help?

Apart from Point Oven does anyone know where can I find plugins for converting LW (objects, scenes etc) to Maya? I especially want to be able to use mdd files aswell as the scenes and obj's.

Many thanks.

plandrey
10-12-2007, 05:41 AM
I seem to remember that I've used the FBX format to go between LW & Maya. The Maya support site even had free FBX plug-in downloads for the various apps including LW.

Might give it a try.

Cheers!

plandrey
10-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Just did a little research...

Looks as if Autodesk has stopped trying to keep up with everything and has trasferred development of FBX exporter for Lightwave to NewTek.

Cheers!

SplineGod
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Try this:
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/Maya2LW2.html

daforum
10-13-2007, 02:39 AM
splinegod,

Thanks for the link. Just want to check though, will the scripts (.ls) work with LW 9.3 UB on a Mac?

daforum
10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Try this:
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/Maya2LW2.html

I went to this website, downloaded the zip with all the files but I still don't know if these scripts will work on a Mac??

Also the, "Maya2LW2_ExportOBJ.ls" is missing, and this is suggested in the docs as the script to use when exporting from LW. Has anyone got the script and has anyone tested them on a Mac???

Boo!
10-16-2007, 04:12 AM
...hi,
...i too would like to know if anyone has tested this script on a Mac, that the their Mac spec was and the results of using the script.
...thanks

daforum
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Just did a little research...

Looks as if Autodesk has stopped trying to keep up with everything and has trasferred development of FBX exporter for Lightwave to NewTek.

Cheers!

Even though the FBX plugins are no longer available, does anyone know where to get hold of the ones that used to be online??

Boo!
10-29-2007, 01:26 AM
...hi again.
...just a quick one. if i have a character modeled in LW but with no textures or morphs. would i be correct in thinking i could just save as a .obj and open in Maya.
...i to cant find the "Maya2LW2_ExportOBJ" from the link suggested earlier.
...sorry if this seems like a obvious question but im not that clued up on plugin/Lscript ways to get things from on app to another.
...thanks for any help:help: