PDA

View Full Version : Installing 9.3

GATOR
10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I must be missing something here. I've got my new Mac and I'm installing Lightwave 9.3 UB. I did a fresh install of 9.2 and it runs just fine. The 9.3 upgrade instructs me to drag the 9.3 Icon to the Application Icon. Pretty simple. But when I run it, it doesn't see the License Key. So I look at the file/folder structure of 9.2, try to replicate that with the license key in the programs folder and such, but it doesn't work. I can't find any "read before installing" file to guide me on what to do.

Thoughts?

Chilton
10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi,

This will be rectified in a future version of LightWave. For now...

The Universal Binary of LightWave can run from a locked volume, over a Dot Mac iDisk, from a CD, thumb drive, etc. However, we really feel it works best if executed from your Applications folder.

Preferences and License Keys
The license.key file for a single user, and user-specific settings should go in:

~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Any license.key file you want all users to have access to, and machine-specific settings should go in:

/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Third party plug-ins for the user (as they start showing up) should probably go in:

~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins/

Third party plug-ins you want all users of your machine to have access to should go in:

/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins/

The Extensions configuration file used to contain a list of all of the plug-ins you're using. Since we're using an automatic search now, the Extensions file will be empty by default. If the user manually adds a plug-in via the Add Plugins command, or by any non-automatic means, it will show up in that file. We're trying to move away from this mechanism, but we've left this capability in, in case you really need it.

Any objects or scenes you drag and drop into LightWave windows will not change the content directory.

HTH,
-Chilton

GATOR
10-11-2007, 09:59 AM
OK, all is well now. Called Tech Support and found where the License Key needed to go (in the Shared Support folder).

So, while I have your attention, with my nice new 8-core 3.0 ghz, 4gb, ATI x1900, which would be fastest...

Running LW 9.3 UB or installing windows and running the 64-bit 9.3 version?

THX!

Chilton
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I would like to know the answer to that as well.

-Chilton

GATOR
10-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Put the new mac into a mock project pipeline test for the first time. Wow, don't really care about speed comparisons for the moment. Very cool having HDTV resolution frames render out at 4 seconds each. This animation in 8.5 took 7 hours to render. It took 13 minutes last night.

Photoshop CS2 and After Effects were plenty fast, no reason to upgrade to UB versions in my book. The HDTV image ran without a glitch in AE preview. Converting the 5 second animation to H.264 in Quicktime took a few seconds.

Pretty cool watching the activity monitor during a render. Eight bars chugging away.

I even have the "9.3" and "9.2" version icons on my dock. Only glitch I've had a problem with is with the 9.3 hub, but I quickly adapted to the suggestion to work in 9.2 and render in 9.3, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback from the board for gearing up for this purchase, everything works great.

GATOR:thumbsup:

digitalimagery
10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I had a similar problem as Gator but was not resolved with the license.key location.

I upgraded from 8.5 (bought before the 9.0 release with upgrade included) I had 9.0 installed but after trying to move to 9.3 and having so much trouble getting it running I ended up scrapping all versions, reloading 8.5 from the disk. Once that was back up and running I just went directly to the 9.3 upgrade (couldn't find documentation anywhere that listed the proper upgrade path).

I got the same .dmg installer that had me drag the LW icon onto the Application icon. Watched it load and see it in the App folder but next to the LW 8.5 folder. I don't understand how the 9.0 app (sitting right in the LW 9.0 folder - not in a programs directory) can access the 8.0 directories which I assume it needs or the one from 9.0 which I'm going to try next (so much for having a weekend).

There are only a few files in the new LW 9.3 directory and they are:
Hub
Layout
LScript Editor
LScript Interface Designer
Modeler
ScreamerNet
SDK
SharedSupport

Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks
DI

Chilton
10-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I had a similar problem as Gator but was not resolved with the license.key location.

Where did you put the license.key file, and specifically what problem are you having?

-Chilton

GATOR
10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
This is for DigitalImagery, your settings don't allow for a private e-mail, so I'll post your question and my response here...

[QUOTE=digitalimagery]Was it necessary for you to have 9.0 installed before you went to 9.3? I'm trying to go from 8.5 to 9.3 with no luck. I saw your thread on the LW forum but the solution that solved your problem didn't work for me. I suspect I ned to use 9.0 as a go between.]

I don't know if you HAVE too, but I did. Since I was building a whole machine from the ground up, every time I loaded a program that had a newer "update" than what I had on my disc, I almost always had to do it anyway. Two days of running installers and downloading updates! But it was worth it, everything works great.

GATOR

BeeVee
10-17-2007, 02:04 AM
You don't have to at all. Each version and point release of LightWave is a completely separate program, there are no "patches" involved.

B

appleman91
10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
hi, sorry to but in on your thread, but i have followed the above instructions and can't get the UB version to run, except in 'discovery' mode. At the moment i'm using 9.2 which seems a waste not to use the UB version, and it seems slower to render on this Mac despite it having twice the number of processors.

BeeVee
10-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Put your license.key file from 9.2 in either:

The UB 9.3 version's SharedSupport folder

or

in ~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D

B

appleman91
10-30-2007, 04:53 AM
ok, this is getting slightly annoying now. I have followed the instructions above and have tried it in the SharedSupport folder inside the UB version and in the preferences folder inside the LightWave3D folder and neither work it's still running in Discovery mode. what was so wrong with how it worked before?

Chilton
10-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi,

Specifically what problem are you having?

-Chilton

BeeVee
10-30-2007, 07:17 AM
If you continue having registration problems it might be best to email me directly. As a registered LightWave user you have free tech support by email or telephone as well as these forums. Email me at [email protected] or phone me on 00 33 557 262 262 with your LightWave serial number and I will be able to help.

B